Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
And yes, Swedish players do go to Finland to play hockey and vise-versa.

Yup it happens even for 20 year olds.
Plus the reason he went there was because otherwise he would stay in the same league.
The league he is in now is a good step up. It shows he is progressing very well.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yup it happens even for 20 year olds.
Plus the reason he went there was because otherwise he would stay in the same league.
The league he is in now is a good step up. It shows he is progressing very well.

[mod] that was one of my points, he wasn't offered a SHL contract or at best a really bad one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
There isn't a huge drop off between SHL and Liiga. I also doubt anyone here is watching Lindgren play so none of us really know what we have with him. Boxscore scouting a defenseman is not going to tell the full story. Saying he is a bust or that he won't amount to anything because he decided to go play in a different league is ridiculous.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
There isn't a huge drop off between SHL and Liiga. I also doubt anyone here is watching Lindgren play so none of us really know what we have with him. Boxscore scouting a defenseman is not going to tell the full story. Saying he is a bust or that he won't amount to anything because he decided to go play in a different league is ridiculous.

I have seen him play and have access to watch Liiga, SHL,etc....he and
Pierre Engvall had a tryout with the Marlies at the end of last season, young Swedish prospects don't go to Liiga, try and keep up if you want in. I am saying he is not going to be offered an ELC.

More than half of our draft picks in 2018 wont be offered ELC, real talk...

Last edited:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I have seen him play and have access to watch Liiga, SHL,etc....he had a tryout with the Marlies at the end of last season, young Swedish prospects don't go to Liiga, try and keep up if you want in.
Everyone with an internet connection has access to Liiga and SHL streams, doesn't mean squat. Seeing as you already think he is a failure because he chose to leave Sweden to play in Finland, I doubt you are watching any HPK games. And that's really where this conversation ends because I don't believe you have actually watched Lindgren play over an appreciable sample size.

Reactions: LeafChief

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Everyone with an internet connection has access to Liiga and SHL streams, doesn't mean squat. Seeing as you already think he is a failure because he chose to leave Sweden to play in Finland, I doubt you are watching any HPK games. And that's really where this conversation ends because I don't believe you have actually watched Lindgren play over an appreciable sample size.

Using common sense, to me you can figure out the direction he is trending in, I am saying he is not going to be offered an ELC, I could be wrong ...

More than half of our draft picks in 2018 wont be offered ELC, just saying...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Yup. [mod] Just because he isnt following the route that poster wants doesnt meam he is terrible. Plus he is getting a lot of ice time in a good league. You dont get that ice time by being a bad player. Just saying.
The direction he is headed in seems to indicate he will be offered an ELC.
Lindgren just needs to keep playing very well. That decision to go to the Finnish league is a good indication that he is a solid player

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LeafChief

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Marner
Dermott
Bracco
Timashov
An absolutely amazing draft.
Marner is a first line star winger.
Dermott will be at least a top 4 d man with potential for more.
Bracco has been a pleasent surprise in the AHL, not in terms of being good but more as in he has been very good this early, and has adjusted very well to pro hockey
Timashov has been one of the better players for the Marlies, as he is now getting more playing time.

Skill, skill and more skill!

Has a great weekend once a month as do most of his peers, and the Kids go wild, consistancy continues to elude these Blue Chip propects.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We got fantastically lucky this year
The more I think about it the more I strongly feel that Liljegren is a Rielly class prospect- the kind that anything less than a top 4 d is a disappointment, and anything more shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Ideally, Jardine does not play a single game. He's not very good. Would rather see if Nielsen, Valiev and Rosen can put things together on the left side. Holl and LoVerde are fine on the right side, and Paliotta should be more than capable of filling in as well. 2 games in three days for a few guys who have already sit for a good chunk of the season is not going to be taxing, and you know Holl, LoVerde, Nielsen and Rosen are going to be playing both games regardless.

northstarnicky

Mar 3, 2004
Wisconsin
Karlsson had already played 3 NHL seasons

Does that change the point somehow??? He "chose" to play in the Finnish Elite League over any club in his own Country. Any of which would have sold their souls to have him. He must have seen some value in it. Unless you know more than he did. Which is possible LOL

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We got fantastically lucky this year
The more I think about it the more I strongly feel that Liljegren is a Rielly class prospect- the kind that anything less than a top 4 d is a disappointment, and anything more shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Feel the same way.... People don't realize how horrid of a draft year Liljegren really had. Sure, he had the tools, but he was legitimately awful for long stretches secondary to mono, playing on a horrid team, and forcing things.

He needs to do a full year (WJSS->AHL so far, but really he needs to add the WJC against his peers, and another half year or so of AHL productivity) to erase that bad taste. But we are fortunate, I'm sure, many scouts probably saw him enough in his draft year to really question if he was a NHL caliber talent some nights.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Does that change the point somehow??? He "chose" to play in the Finnish Elite League over any club in his own Country. Any of which would have sold their souls to have him. He must have seen some value in it. Unless you know more than he did. Which is possible LOL

I think money may have been one of the a reasons Karlsson went to Liiga ;)

There are 15-20 swedes in Liiga yearly but "good young swede prospects" don't [typically] play there. I believe 50+ swedes play in the AHL if your curious, He also has a 45% CF% so far.

lets move on now ...

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Marlies now on a 3 game losing streak after losing 5-2 in Utica yesterday. Probably was a tough outing with 4/6 regular D out of the lineup, hopefully Nielsen's injury isn't too serious but it's really all hands on deck. Keefe confirmed that Dermott won't be back for Friday's game against Utica.

Liljegren 0+2 in Sweden's 13-1 victory against Denmark and Rasanen 0+1 in Finland's 4-2 victory against Switzerland. Unfortunately there is minimal media coverage of these games and the games aren't televised so aside from the stats we have no info on how they actually played.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marlies now on a 3 game losing streak after losing 5-2 in Utica yesterday. Probably was a tough outing with 4/6 regular D out of the lineup, hopefully Nielsen's injury isn't too serious but it's really all hands on deck. Keefe confirmed that Dermott won't be back for Friday's game against Utica.

Liljegren 0+2 in Sweden's 13-1 victory against Denmark and Rasanen 0+1 in Finland's 4-2 victory against Switzerland. Unfortunately there is minimal media coverage of these games and the games aren't televised so aside from the stats we have no info on how they actually played.

whoa that's almost a negative stat line in a 13-1 win, anybody get a monster amount of points in that one?

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
whoa that's almost a negative stat line in a 13-1 win, anybody get a monster amount of points in that one?
Lukas Elvenes was 2+3, interesting prospect, VGK 5th round pick who is ppg in Allsvenskan and just moved up to the SHL. Other than him scoring seems to be fairly distributed among a number of players. Lias Andersson and Erik Brannstrom were both 0+1. Jesper Boqvist 1+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad