Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hyman's physical game is really paying off especially in the playoffs so if Moore lacks that, and I agree, what role would he play on the leafs squad?
Same role (puck hound/ support) different method. Hyman hustles in with a hit (though for the most part is not a "hit to hurt" heavy guy, he just makes contact) then attempts to win the loose puck. Moore hustles in and shows no fear getting in to knife fighting range, leaning on people and using a quick stick.

Reactions: saltming

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
It will be interesting to see what happens with the NCAA ATOs, as several of them appear to have performed well and the Leafs will need to do some minor restocking with the Marlies and major restocking of their ECHL franshise as it moves to St. John's. As the Wolves are potentially a Calder Cup contender I'm hoping we get to see Kasisuo if we meet them in the finals.

None of the College players were named to the 24 man roster the Marlies supplied to the League yesterday.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
None of the College players were named to the 24 man roster the Marlies supplied to the League yesterday.

Lack of space when they had two studs come over from Sweden plus will have Johnsson Dermott and maybe Kapy come if the leafs go down to the Bs. No shade on the kids when they can't push their way onto a 54 win roster. Marlies are a juggernaut

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Kingston has a rough start to the Hamilton series. Not a fan of Helvig in net and he was porous today.. He started slow against Barrie too tho. Rasa -3

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Lack of space when they had two studs come over from Sweden plus will have Johnsson Dermott and maybe Kapy come if the leafs go down to the Bs. No shade on the kids when they can't push their way onto a 54 win roster. Marlies are a juggernaut

BE careful of Syracuse they'll try to brutalize the Marlies like they did last year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yup, and damn good in transition. At the NHL level to me he projects as a less physical but better puck skills Hyman type puck hound support winger.

Food for thought: His two "stagnant" AHL seasons came at the same at the same age as Hyman's Junior and Senior seasons at Michigan, and were just as good as Hyman's Marlies year.

Food for thought: Hyman's point total in his junior season: 17pts in 35 games. In his Senior season: *54* points in 37 games. Moore's point totals in his 2 seasons with the Marlies 33/57, 33/*68*. Looks rather stagnant by comparison for people who can count. Also, Moore seems to have a thing about producing the same numbers year in year out. His three years at UofD pretty much show the same results. Statistically, he doesn't seem to be a player who finds a new gear and exploits it like Hyman has every 2nd year he's played at a new level. He seems like one of those players who estabilishes his level the first year in and then produces the same results year in year out. And unfortunately 0.5PPG at an AHL level for a 5'10" player isn't going to earn him a ticket to the Leafs. Even in Hyman's lone AHL season he managed 0.6PPG. Moore needs to do a lot better than what he has been doing.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@Boutette the point was not to disparage Hyman (I'm pro Hyman, especially if he gets moved to right wing) but to point out the flaws in using an EP profile to rule out players based on AHL ppg, ignoring their skill sets, strengths, and potential roles at the NHL levels. I did this by pointing to a .62ppg in the AHL @U24 player that is now a fixture on the big club. (Moore .57 @ U22, .49@ U23).

Your whole stance is basically based on penalizing him for being a 32 point true freshman (impressive feat), ignoring a 33% increase in production from freshman to sophomore, and then penalizing him for being ready to go pro early rather than needing to stay in college to develop. He was a ppg NCAA player at the same age Hyman put up 9 points. He put a season just as good as Hyman's AHL year while two years younger. He earned a free agent ELC after 3 seasons and played two pro years before Hyman was ready to graduate. Would you value Moore more if he went back for 60+ point senior year and then had the exact same 2017-18 season as he did in reality?

I'm not saying he's a shoe in to be an NHL regular (far from it), I'm not saying I disagree with the idea that Moore needs to be better to earn a spot (I don't), I'm saying that the idea of writing off a player that because of a single down (statistically- he's a much improved player) season at a younger age than a current golden boy (who plays a similar game) had even turned pro is well, asinine.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
@Boutette the point was not to disparage Hyman (I'm pro Hyman, especially if he gets moved to right wing) but to point out the flaws in using an EP profile to rule out players based on AHL ppg, ignoring their skill sets, strengths, and potential roles at the NHL levels. I did this by pointing to a .62ppg in the AHL @U24 player that is now a fixture on the big club. (Moore .57 @ U22, .49@ U23).

Your whole stance is basically based on penalizing him for being a 32 point true freshman (impressive feat), ignoring a 33% increase in production from freshman to sophomore, and then penalizing him for being ready to go pro early rather than needing to stay in college to develop. He was a ppg NCAA player at the same age Hyman put up 9 points. He put a season just as good as Hyman's AHL year while two years younger. He earned a free agent ELC after 3 seasons and played two pro years before Hyman was ready to graduate. Would you value Moore more if he went back for 60+ point senior year and then had the exact same 2017-18 season as he did in reality?

I'm not saying he's a shoe in to be an NHL regular (far from it), I'm not saying I disagree with the idea that Moore needs to be better to earn a spot (I don't), I'm saying that the idea of writing off a player that because of a single down (statistically- he's a much improved player) season at a younger age than a current golden boy (who plays a similar game) had even turned pro is well, asinine.

My stance is looking at a players *progress*. Hyman, for all his detractors has improved his numbers from year to year from level to level. So far Moore hasn't. And that is my point. Like Hyman has done, he needs to, or all he's going to get from the NHL is a cup of coffee at best.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Looks like they'll be getting Kapanen, Dermott and Johnsson for the start of the playoffs. Should make a pretty scary team. Hopefully, they're not cheap as shit and they actually televise all the games.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think they're all just going to be on Leafs TV, no? I just hope they show the away games - they're ultra low production value, but better than nothing.

TSN showed quite a few games during the season. I think they may have shown playoffs last year. They are the exact same quality as the leafs TV broadcast just on TSN really, they dont do a TSN panel or anything

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
TSN showed quite a few games during the season. I think they may have shown playoffs last year. They are the exact same quality as the leafs TV broadcast just on TSN really, they dont do a TSN panel or anything
They might piggyback the games on TSN - I don't know...about the only reason why I have Leafs TV (Marlies games), so I always just tuned in there. Hope you are able to watch.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Marlies should definitely be a cup favourite. Anything less than a finals appearance will be very underwhelming, especially with Johnsson and Dermott probably back very early.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I wonder what the lineup will be when kap johnsson and Dermott come back.

Johnsson- Aaltonen- kapanen
Grundstrom- mueller- Moore
Timashov- Gauthier- Smith
Marchment-Greening-Bracco

Hopefully Engvall and Brooks get some games in. They have been playing really well!

Dermott- Holl
Borgman- Lilly
Marincin- Rosen or Loverde

Sparks
Pickard

That looks like a Calder cup winning lineup to me. Anything less would be a big disappointment.

Reactions: Intellivisionhockey

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I wonder what the lineup will be when kap johnsson and Dermott come back.

Johnsson- Aaltonen- kapanen
Grundstrom- mueller- Moore
Timashov- Gauthier- Smith
Marchment-Greening-Bracco

Hopefully Engvall and Brooks get some games in. They have been playing really well!

Dermott- Holl
Borgman- Lilly
Marincin- Rosen or Loverde

Sparks
Pickard

That looks like a Calder cup winning lineup to me. Anything less would be a big disappointment.
I think the Marlies roster could seriously give the big club a run for their money on some nights....

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Leafs TV is covering all games home and road according to there site.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I’ve read through a bunch of pages and can’t find any threads on it so maybe I missed it. But can we give a shout out to Garret Sparks for winning the AHLs most outstanding goalie? This guy never comes up when the talking heads mention top goalie prospects and I think it’s a shame.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
If anyone can PM me with a website to watch tmrw playoff game , that would be amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad