Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
We wasted a lot of picks in the 2016 Draft.

Middleton, Bobylev, Mattinen look like they will probably just be let go. Walker has already moved on. Greenway has stalled, but still has some good tools. Chebykin seems decent.

We still got Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom and maybe Brooks and Woll out of that Draft, which is a win, but it seems like a missed opportunity to add some serious depth to our pool.
I think our 2016 was pretty good. Korshkov was a weird pick, with so many good options still on the board.. Hopefully it turns out fine. Our 2017 draft on the other hand.. I think in a few years it's going to be really bad.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I mean if you end up with 3-4 players from a draft any given year, that draft is a win.

That is true to an extent, but you are talking about NHLers. It's not as helpful when you need depth and only 3-4 of them can even make it to the AHL. You expect most, if not all, of a draft class to make it to at least the AHL level. The only exceptions is if they are Europeans who decide not to come over unless they are good enough for the NHL, they suffered a lot of injuries (i.e. Korostelev), or you drafted a lot of guys. The Leafs did draft a lot of guys in that draft, but any more than 1 or 2 guys who do not even make the AHL because they are not good enough is a disappointment. The Bobylev and Walker picks were not good. The rest are good enough for the AHL.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think our 2016 was pretty good. Korshkov was a weird pick, with so many good options still on the board.. Hopefully it turns out fine. Our 2017 draft on the other hand.. I think in a few years it's going to be really bad.

We did not really get much out of that draft in the first place. Liljegren was amazing. Rasanen looks like a good pick. Scott was a great pick. Kara was iffy but we keep him for a while and it's not like many guys after him are looking all that much more impressive. Similar for O'Connell, who looked good until a season ending injury. He could surprise some at Boston University I think. Gordeev and McGregor have pretty high ceilings and once again, besides not having a ton of control, they are not much worse than the rest of the guys in that range. We didn't have as many picks in that draft as we did in 2015 and 2016. There is not as much we could have got out of it. I think if we get Liljegren, Rasanen and Scott out of it, and at least 2/4 looked good (even if they didn't make it all the way), it'll be a successful enough draft.

I think the real punch in the gut is wasting picks on OAers who do are not special.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Nice balance of production from most lines and between vets/kids so far in this series. Great to see such balance, and strong play, despite so many promotions.

Would be nice to see Goat kinda establish himself as an option for a depth spot next year with sustained strong performance in the PO’s. Sparks having a great playoff will peak his value too. Be nice to fill some roles on the big team with some of these guys spiking at the right time...Rosen and (dare I say it) Marincin, too.

Some of the guys reaching ‘make or break’ time are stepping up too (Tima and Moore) and the higher upside guys are contributing well (Engvall, Grundstrom at al).

And jeez if the Leafs are eliminated (a knock on wood NO) and Marlies add Kap/AJ/Dermott.....then, oh my.

Exciting stuff down there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Middleton, Bobylev, Mattinen look like they will probably just be let go. Walker has already moved on. Greenway has stalled, but still has some good tools. Chebykin seems decent.

We still got Matthews, Korshkov, Grundstrom and maybe Brooks and Woll out of that Draft, which is a win, but it seems like a missed opportunity to add some serious depth to our pool.

Anytime you come up with a couple good prospects out of draft it's hard to feel bad We did miss out on players overall but I think Matthews (duh), Grundstrom and Korshkov are NHLers to some degree. Brooks and Woll should be at least good AHLers.

I don't understand what people see in Greenway. Even before his issues this season, he wasn't exactly doing well last season and struggled in development camp from what I've seen and read.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marlies won today 5-2 to take a 2-0 series lead. Engvall, Timashov, Greening, Grundström, and Moore scoring for the Marlies. Gauthier looked good and had 2 assists.

Sparks was great as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It is good Grundstrom and Engvall have been able to come over, fit in and produce immediately.

It should indicate they'll have no problem adjusting, solidifying their inclusion as potential NHL players.

Personally, I find that of greater interest than players who've had 60 games to adjust to their surroundings.

I certainly hope they don't get bumped by Johnsson or Kapanen ... cause we hope they aren't available!

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

You really have an unrealistic expectation when it comes to the draft

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
You really have an unrealistic expectation when it comes to the draft
I called it a win. I'm saying that the picks I pointed out looked bad then and worse now. No reason why we couldn't have aimed for another Timashov or Lindgren instead. If we went with the 2015 approach of skill first, we'd probably have another 1 or 2 solid prospects on our hands.

member 147413

Anytime you come up with a couple good prospects out of draft it's hard to feel bad We did miss out on players overall but I think Matthews (duh), Grundstrom and Korshkov are NHLers to some degree. Brooks and Woll should be at least good AHLers.

I don't understand what people see in Greenway. Even before his issues this season, he wasn't exactly doing well last season and struggled in development camp from what I've seen and read.
I agree everything, except on Greenway.

His numbers are bad and his brain is very likely to hold him back.

That said, he’s an athletic freak, he’s physically punishing, a pain to play against and he is a phenomenal skater.

When you look at him play, you think “wow this kid can be good”. Then you see him make stupid undisciplined players or turn the puck over under the slightest pressure and you’re like “oh that’s why no one talks about him”.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

That said, he’s an athletic freak, he’s physically punishing, a pain to play against and he is a phenomenal skater.

When you look at him play, you think “wow this kid can be good”. Then you see him make stupid undisciplined players or turn the puck over under the slightest pressure and you’re like “oh that’s why no one talks about him”.

Sounds like a worthwhile project prospect to me.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

So he's a younger version of Jake Gardiner?

Reactions: ULF_55

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Don't disagree. Just wondering if that's a comparable player.
Don't comparable. His coach compared him to McDonagh, who he also coached. Greenway also has a mean streak and the badgers fans I've spoken with say part of his issue is he's too strong and draws a lot of penalties for just being strong.
The only comparable would be skating but gardiner is more agile but like also 30lbs lighter

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
How about an Aki Berg type, tall wide body with good mobility but not a lot of offensive upside?
I would say his offensive potential is higher than berg. If Oleksy is comparing him to McD, a comparison he hasn't yet lived up to, the upside is above berg.
Will he reach it or close to it? :dunno:

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017

We have one of those already on the big club. Skates lie the wind makes lots of dumb plays

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Contrary to the assumptions of smarty-pants like myself, these playoffs illustrate that Keefe (and the Leafs' organization) still seems significantly invested into Gauthier as a future player.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Contrary to the assumptions of smarty-pants like myself, these playoffs illustrate that Keefe (and the Leafs' organization) still seems significantly invested into Gauthier as a future player.
2 points in the first 2 games is pretty good but I think they are still hoping for an elite shutdown centre from him. And in that giant body I'm personally willing to wait. Other than a contract spot what are we losing?
Also I thing the injury he sustained needed extra time to heal and properly rehab. Before the injury his speed was sufficient for the NHL. Hopefully he gets it back up there

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Maybe, but he’s got to convince Babcock who I think hasn’t liked what he’s seen from the Goat (despite what he may say in interviews).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad