Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
With the amount of uncertainty for the 4th line centre role this year.... Moore, Fehr, Gauthier, Plekanec... don't you think if Babcock liked Gauthier enough, he would be there for the remainder of the season and when they were looking to replace Moore, Gauthier should have been the only choice?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
With the amount of uncertainty for the 4th line centre role this year.... Moore, Fehr, Gauthier, Plekanec... don't you think if Babcock liked Gauthier enough, he would be there for the remainder of the season and when they were looking to replace Moore, Gauthier should have been the only choice?
Not if goat isn't ready. I doubt they throw him into playoffs without a full season with the team.
Remember he had a significant injury

Reactions: Griffin76

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Watching Grundstrom and Engvall last Marlies game was delicious!

These guys are going to have an impact in my opinion. Grundstrom looks so calm and collected, he will be fantastic.

Reactions: Griffin76

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
He gave Gauthier a healthy chance to steal the spot, and Freddie dropped the ball.

Hopefully he has a strong finish with the Marlies, as well as a strong summer, and can properly claim the spot next year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Not exactly

considering how the C position is in Babs eyes

take a look at Aalt he is 2 years older then the goat and we still all hold hope he can make the team

heck johnsson is a year older and just getting started, kappy a year younger.

Reactions: Jeypic

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He needs to spend the summer with Gary Roberts or Tie Domi to add some grit to his game.

Any level of aggression or confidence would be nice. Never seen someone play as scared as he does, especially at 6'6. He makes Antropov and Ponikarovski look like Lindros.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Not exactly

considering how the C position is in Babs eyes

take a look at Aalt he is 2 years older then the goat and we still all hold hope he can make the team

heck johnsson is a year older and just getting started, kappy a year younger.

The difference between Gauthier and everyone you mentioned is that each of them have shown steady progression and improvement. Gauthier has progressed very little if at all over the past 3 years. He was a decent AHL 4th line center then, and that's what he is now. You can't say the same about Aalt, Kappy or Johnsson.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
The difference between Gauthier and everyone you mentioned is that each of them have shown steady progression and improvement. Gauthier has progressed very little if at all over the past 3 years. He was a decent AHL 4th line center then, and that's what he is now. You can't say the same about Aalt, Kappy or Johnsson.

The kid almost sheered his leg in half a year to this day from a dirty hit. he wasn't suppose to get back until February or later after it was first reported. he came back in late November. well before he was suppose to. I'm sure with a injury like that a mulligan for a development year is allowed.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The kid almost sheered his leg in half a year to this day from a dirty hit. he wasn't suppose to get back until February or later after it was first reported. he came back in late November. well before he was suppose to. I'm sure with a injury like that a mulligan for a development year is allowed.
So true, and his line with Engval and Greening has been the Marlies best line recently.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
So true, and his line with Engval and Greening has been the Marlies best line recently.

yeah I would be on board for another 2 year deal for him. a show me contract. we spent the last 4+ years developing him why not give him another shot. if he pans out there's a fix to our needs. I believe he is well worth one of the fifty contracts. lots of big players don't hit there peak in development until 24 25 so giving up on him now might be a big regret

Reactions: Jeypic and TTF

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There’s no reason to not give up on the Goat, and his injury should be taken into account, but he also didn’t look like a sure-fire NHLer before that though.

I don’t think he ever becomes anything more than a short term emergency fill in (though I’ve never been a huge fan). At he very least he looks fine with his role on the Marlies.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Gauthier didn't improve his production from his draft year, in his 2 post draft years in the Q. He hasn't improved his production since year 1 of his AHL seasons, going through years 2 and 3. He is what he is. That isn't good enough.

Reactions: 7even

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Gauthier could become something close to Lowry from the Jets it should be considered an amazing success.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Games was over by the 14 minute mark. Not a typical Sparks start for sure. Getem next time.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Games was over by the 14 minute mark. Not a typical Sparks start for sure. Getem next time.

It'll happen. I mean this was probably the worst game Sparks has had in over a calendar year. At least it was not in a decisive game. They will probably get the next one. It has not been too physically draining and it may not be a terrible idea to have an extra game so that you are not rusty.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Matthews was probably still recovering from his shoulder issue these playoffs plus he was also facing off against Bergeron. If he could use this offseason to recover fully, that'd be great. There was this one instance in game 6 where he could have used his curl-and-drag on a Bruins defender to use the guy as a screen but he didn't. He had speed and everything...

Nylander was kind of affected by Matthews' substandard play. Several cross ice passes were flubbed, not handled cleanly, etc. That's usually the duo's bread and butter.

Marner had a good series. He'll get stronger still, and kudos to the Bruins for identifying him as a main threat, but Mitchell did take a licking and keep on ticking.

Kapanen had a coming out party but he wasn't given the kind of minutes that his play deserved. Excellent utility player that can (and deserves to) play anywhere in the lineup.

Johnsson just skates and thinks the game so well, I think he can carve out a long NHL career. If JVR is moved, he could be a dark horse candidate for a breakout year.

Dermott usually played really well and would often look like the team's best defenseman. Excellent gap control, quick puck mover... though he did have some bad games. Babcock should have played him more too.

All 6 of our youngest guys showed promise in different ways. (I could have included Rielly's play but he's got a ton of games under his belt)

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I believe Grundstrom and Korshkov both could be ready for NHL duties next season. I think they will definitely give Korshkov some time in the NHL first but his size would be very welcomed and could play a role on the PP in front of the net potentially in absence of JVR. Grundstrom would just add to our skill and speed and provide some much needed grit as well as replace Komarovs spot on the PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad