Propose a new rule for 2016-2017

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Change the seeding and conference rankings.
3 of the last 5 years in the west a team with less points got the divison title and thus 2nd seed.
3 of the last 7 years in the east same thing. I get the whole win your divison get an "award" argument but I would like to see it changed. Erie, London, and Kitchener have the best 3 records in the league and yet 1 will finish 4th seed and 2 will likely not have home ice in round 2.
will never change though

This. So the team in the other division can triple dip. They play weaker competition all year, still get the higher seed, get home ice advantage - and if I'm not mistaken, they still also keep the higher draft slot based on straight point totals.

At very least, make them draft in their division winner slot.

It's way too punishing on the good teams who assembled more points against tougher competition.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
I wouldn't mind allowing refs to change their missed calls after the fact. A player gets hit with a high stick bleeds everywhere yet no penalty? Even worse when the refs ask for a shovel and has to remove the blood and snow (like what happened in Kitchener), it makes the OHL look bush league and really lame.
Imagine turning on your first ever hockey game while channel surfing (do people even do that anymore? lol) only to see something as ridiculous as a missed high stick even though thousands of people saw it and there's blatant evidence on the ice.
Off ice officials should be talking to on ice officials through mics the entire game, video reviews should be allowed on every penalty to make sure the call is actually the right one. Major penalties should always require video review
Also every arena should be required to show replays to the best of their ability. As a Guelph fan I'm so tired of seeing a spinning storm logo on the screen while goals are under review, penalties are being discussed, etc.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Review of penalties would be awesome. More wait time would make for longer games and possibly take momentum out of game; but, getting calls right and the jeering of refs during the stoppages would be worth it.
I've often wondered what effect trading up or down of 1st rnd picks (but not out of the 1st rnd) & (pick for picks just before the draft) would have. I'd leave the defective player in place

Last edited:

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
I wouldn't mind allowing refs to change their missed calls after the fact. A player gets hit with a high stick bleeds everywhere yet no penalty? Even worse when the refs ask for a shovel and has to remove the blood and snow (like what happened in Kitchener), it makes the OHL look bush league and really lame.
Imagine turning on your first ever hockey game while channel surfing (do people even do that anymore? lol) only to see something as ridiculous as a missed high stick even though thousands of people saw it and there's blatant evidence on the ice.
Off ice officials should be talking to on ice officials through mics the entire game, video reviews should be allowed on every penalty to make sure the call is actually the right one. Major penalties should always require video review
Also every arena should be required to show replays to the best of their ability. As a Guelph fan I'm so tired of seeing a spinning storm logo on the screen while goals are under review, penalties are being discussed, etc.

This would be a prime use of the coach's challenge. A missed call or a wrong call and the coach asks for a review of the referees decision (or non-call).

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree with the review of major penalties but not the review of minor penalties. A 5 minute for a slew foot must be reviewed. Quite often a different view on a replay will show whether it was truly a slew foot or not. Same goes for head shots.
Also would like to see the 3 point games. Tired of watching "defensive" hockey last 10 minutes of the third period to ensure they get a least a point.
And now for the "off the wall" rule. Instead of sending a player off to serve a minor penalty I would make them stay on the ice to kill off the penalty for the full 2 minutes. It would still hurt the teams but the players won't like that one bit and you will see a lot less slashing and tripping. Players will learn quick. Too easy to slash someone and then go rest in the box for 2 minutes. You would also see more PP scoring. It will never happen but a version of it might work.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree with the review of major penalties but not the review of minor penalties. A 5 minute for a slew foot must be reviewed. Quite often a different view on a replay will show whether it was truly a slew foot or not. Same goes for head shots.
Also would like to see the 3 point games. Tired of watching "defensive" hockey last 10 minutes of the third period to ensure they get a least a point.
And now for the "off the wall" rule. Instead of sending a player off to serve a minor penalty I would make them stay on the ice to kill off the penalty for the full 2 minutes. It would still hurt the teams but the players won't like that one bit and you will see a lot less slashing and tripping. Players will learn quick. Too easy to slash someone and then go rest in the box for 2 minutes. You would also see more PP scoring. It will never happen but a version of it might work.

Having guys like Amadio & Lebanc stay on the ice would not disadvantage the offending team at all. I've seen both play 7 of the last 10 min in a game and still be the most effective player on the ice.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Having guys like Amadio & Lebanc stay on the ice would not disadvantage the offending team at all. I've seen both play 7 of the last 10 min in a game and still be the most effective player on the ice.
The team would still be short handed, just the culprit would have to kill the penalty for the full 2. Not many players have much left in the tank after killing off a full 2 minute penalty.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I actually don't mind this one at all. There are many times the offending player is a player who does not kill penalties. If a team's slug 4th liner wants to rough up a player, and that slug never kills penalties, then forcing him out there for the full two minutes of PK time really puts his team at a disadvantage.

The same can be said for a team's star players. That star player who is also a "shift disturber" would be less likely to take dumb penalties in scrums if he is forced onto the PK for the full two minutes. Not only does that leave him exhausted after the PK is over, he is also unavailable to contribute offensively until he catches his wind.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I actually don't mind this one at all. There are many times the offending player is a player who does not kill penalties. If a team's slug 4th liner wants to rough up a player, and that slug never kills penalties, then forcing him out there for the full two minutes of PK time really puts his team at a disadvantage.

The same can be said for a team's star players. That star player who is also a "shift disturber" would be less likely to take dumb penalties in scrums if he is forced onto the PK for the full two minutes. Not only does that leave him exhausted after the PK is over, he is also unavailable to contribute offensively until he catches his wind.
I know they are looking for more scoring in the NHL, this would help with that. Players that get 2 for instigating in a fight would still serve this in the box. This would only effect "stand alone" calls.

PEPSIHEAD

May 15, 2004

Honestly, it's a good idea, but who would serve the penalty? A player who had not committed a penalty?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yup. A player who was on the ice. Like when a goalie takes a penalty.
I would suggest nobody would have to. Just only allow 4 players on the ice including the offender. A player can jump on the ice from the bench once the clock runs out. Lots of bugs with this idea including who insures they don't come on too early. May make the penalty box out of date.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I would suggest nobody would have to. Just only allow 4 players on the ice including the offender. A player can jump on the ice from the bench once the clock runs out. Lots of bugs with this idea including who insures they don't come on too early. May make the penalty box out of date.

I know what team owners would do with areas that used to be penalty boxes.

Cha ching!!!

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre

There is actually a rule that states the opposite. Teams are not supposed to be showing replays of a call that's under review and there is supposed to be a fine whenever it does happen.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Changes I'd like to see...

1. Goalies are fair game outside the crease, and they can play the puck anywhere.

2. Get rid of instigator penalty if there's a penalty on the play. Clean hits can still earn instigator.

3. Up the fight limit to 15.

4. All major penalties are reviewed. We've seen too many (one, frankly, is too many) major calls that weren't actually majors. Example - slew foots that aren't actually slew foots.

PEPSIHEAD

May 15, 2004
Eliminate fights altogether. The science shows the dangers of it

I have to agree with Otto on this. The NHL is phasing fighting out of the game, why would the OHL want to take up 20 roster spots on this kind of player, when we can have 20 more skilled players in the game?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have to agree with Otto on this. The NHL is phasing fighting out of the game, why would the OHL want to take up 20 roster spots on this kind of player, when we can have 20 more skilled players in the game?

Is there a player in the OHL today who fights but otherwise doesn't belong in the league? If there is, I haven't seen him play.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Is there a player in the OHL today who fights but otherwise doesn't belong in the league? If there is, I haven't seen him play.

I think every team has one or two guys who aren't shy on dropping the gloves but the days of the "goon" are over, you have to play at the OHL level to be in the OHL.

I hope the day never comes where fighting is gone from this sport, that is one of the aspects of hockey that makes it so different from other sports in that it is a recognized part of the game. Hockey is a fast game, a tough game and yes, at times, a violent game... but its a GREAT game!

cujoflutie

The OHL wont get rid of fighting, there's no doubt Branch would if he could but he knows the negative backlash that would come. Eliminate fighting and the rats take over the game.

Fighting is slightly lower than it should be; I agree up the threshold to 15 fights for a suspension. There are no enforcers left who do nothing else but fight ie. Cam Jannsen, Craig Cescon, Brian Soso. We're also not seeing these staged fights where players fight for the sake of fighting.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Eliminate fights altogether. The science shows the dangers of it.

I'd imagine you can also find science that shows getting hit by a flying puck is dangerous. The sport is dangerous. At least fighting tends to be two guys who know the dangers before going into the incident and can prepare themselves a bit. Tough to do that when a puck is flying at you.

The NHL is phasing fighting out of the game, why would the OHL want to take up 20 roster spots on this kind of player, when we can have 20 more skilled players in the game?

Where, in this thread, did I state that "kind of player"? I stated increasing the fight limit to 15 as this would allow ANY player to stand up for teammates without having to think "oh, I've got 9 fights. I shouldn't put my team in jeopardy with 10th." Even now, you see guys shy away from defending teammates because of the instigator/10-fight rule. I miss the days where a teammate got squashed awkwardly and someone came to his rescue. They didn't put up with it.

BTW, Janssen did more than fight. I'd take a guy who could fight like him and put up 24 points in a season without thinking twice.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If you have played competitive hockey than the abolishment of it is absurd. The skilled players have to be protected from cheap shots, running the goalie etc. will almost always start a fight. Its deeply rooted in our game plus the goons are gone. I would like to see 2 fights in a game instead of 3 per player and 15 game minimum if you punch an opponent when his head is on the ice. That is not acceptable their is no reason to try and seriously injure someone.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'd imagine you can also find science that shows getting hit by a flying puck is dangerous. The sport is dangerous. At least fighting tends to be two guys who know the dangers before going into the incident and can prepare themselves a bit. Tough to do that when a puck is flying at you.

You cannot prepare your brain for the effects of CTE.

A flying puck is an accident and doesn't happen with enough frequency to cause CTE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy#Ice_hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad