Propose a new rule for 2016-2017

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
Every so often the rule book is dusted off and the game is enhanced (or hindered) by the addition of new rules. Sometimes these are changes that have developed in the NHL and filtered down while others are home grown.

This year we added three new rules:

• No change icing
  • On-side verification for goals
  • 3 on 3 OT

What's your suggestion for next year?

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
Make every game worth 3 points. It's obvious and logical (and therefore still at least 3 years away.)

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Every so often the rule book is dusted off and the game is enhanced (or hindered) by the addition of new rules. Sometimes these are changes that have developed in the NHL and filtered down while others are home grown.

This year we added three new rules:

• No change icing
  • On-side verification for goals
  • 3 on 3 OT

What's your suggestion for next year?

Wasnt there a bunch of new faceoff rules this year too?

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Make every game worth 3 points. It's obvious and logical (and therefore still at least 3 years away.)

Change the seeding and conference rankings.
3 of the last 5 years in the west a team with less points got the divison title and thus 2nd seed.
3 of the last 7 years in the east same thing. I get the whole win your divison get an "award" argument but I would like to see it changed. Erie, London, and Kitchener have the best 3 records in the league and yet 1 will finish 4th seed and 2 will likely not have home ice in round 2.
will never change though

cujoflutie

I’m assuming since you’re posting it here, you’re asking which changes the CHL/OHL should make?

It’s tough because it is a development league so their rules need to align with the NHL. For instance I HATE shootouts but I wouldn’t remove them from the CHL unless the NHL gets rid of them. I do like 3 points for a win.

I liked the overall goal of eliminating enforcers at the junior level but felt they went a little bit too far (would prefer to see suspensions start at 15 games instead of 10). I’d also like to see steps taken to reduce the amount of rats and trolling going on in the games. We’ve seen guys like Michael Latta and Nick Cousins ruin far too many games with their sideshow circus antics, this stuff needs to be removed from the game.

Diving has been a problem in the OHL for a while but understandably it is hard to reduce with the limited resources the league has (lack of technology and officiating strength), the league tried a few years back to no avail.

Lastly I’d make a change to the memorial cup awarding format; have a host division, rotating within the regular rotation. So every 12 years each of the 4 divisions gets a turn hosting and instead of having an automatic berth for the home team the best team in the host division (determined either by the regular season or playoffs) gets to go to the cup in addition to the 3 league champions.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
So three points for a win, 2 for an OT/SO win and 1 for the loss?

Yes, that's correct.

Here's how the standings would look if this change was made:

Kingston 112
Barrie 107
North Bay 97
Niagara 90
Ottawa 89
Mississauga 87
Peterborough 83
Oshawa 70
Hamilton 67
Sudbury 48

Erie 132
Sarnia 110
London 128
Kitchener 123
Windsor 107
Owen Sound 87
Sault Ste. Marie 87
Saginaw 71
Flint 54
Guelph 39

Not much changes - Mississauga falls from T4th to 6th, but it would all change every weekend anyway.

And as EOttos mentioned, I'd also stop giving division winners a guaranteed top 2 seed.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Coaches challenge on match penalty calls. Too many players are given undeserved match penalties.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, that's correct.

Here's how the standings would look if this change was made:

Kingston 112
Barrie 107
North Bay 97
Niagara 90
Ottawa 89
Mississauga 87
Peterborough 83
Oshawa 70
Hamilton 67
Sudbury 48

Erie 132
Sarnia 110
London 128
Kitchener 123
Windsor 107
Owen Sound 87
Sault Ste. Marie 87
Saginaw 71
Flint 54
Guelph 39

Not much changes - Mississauga falls from T4th to 6th, but it would all change every weekend anyway.

And as EOttos mentioned, I'd also stop giving division winners a guaranteed top 2 seed.

Those stats would likely change as the game would be played differently, especially the second half of the 3rd period, in 3 point games.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
Would like to see a full 2 min PP regardless if a goal is scored. This was the case years ago in the NHL.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
In the playoffs the league go to a division playoff format instead of a conference playoff format. The top 4 teams make the playoffs and 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd. The 2 teams that win those series will play for the conference championship. Then as they do now the winners of each conference will play for the OHL championship. This would make the 1st and 2nd rounds more rivalry based and lessen travel for the teams.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
In the playoffs the league go to a division playoff format instead of a conference playoff format. The top 4 teams make the playoffs and 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd. The 2 teams that win those series will play for the conference championship. Then as they do now the winners of each conference will play for the OHL championship. This would make the 1st and 2nd rounds more rivalry based and lessen travel for the teams.
That wouldn't be too bad in theory except you would run into years like last season where the Midwest had all teams seeds 2-6 in the conference
SSM would have had Sarnia (finished 7th overall in west), Saginaw (8), and Plymouth (9). Talk about a cake walk to conference finals of getting two bottom 4 teams. They would have swept them both.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Nah, I get the why's but I don't like that at all. It's not as bad as the NHL's current version but it's close. You'll get situations similar to the way it was in the NHL's West earlier this year. The #2 seed would face #3 in the conference and it WAS the #7 team aligned to face the 9th place team. That just makes no sense to me. It WAS and still is I believe, aligned where the #3 team in the league will play the #4 team in the first round. I don't like playoff seedings where being in a mediocre division is more beneficial than being good. I can cope with Division winners getting the #1 and #2 seeds but I really only see the Midwest getting screwed most years with that format and other divisions periodically.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I agree review five min penalties lot of bad calls in the heat of the moment changing outcome of some games

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Those stats would likely change as the game would be played differently, especially the second half of the 3rd period, in 3 point games.
About no overtime and shootouts and bring back ties the standing would look very different. also

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
It'll never happen.. and probably more suited for the NHL but...

Allow the goalie to play the puck anywhere on the ice surface, paint the trapezoid blue like the crease, you make contact with the goalie anywhere in the blue it's a penalty . .anywhere else he's fair game.

I don't like the 3 points for a win.. instead make it 2 points for a win and zero for a loss .. be it in OT or shootout (if it must be kept) or regulation

Mitts Marner*

Hmm can you give us an example? (j/k) I'd expand that to no nepotism between playing staff vs. coaching/management/ownership.

Agreed. This, along with David Branch's ridiculous fighting rules have made the OHL much harder to watch.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
It'll never happen.. and probably more suited for the NHL but...

Allow the goalie to play the puck anywhere on the ice surface, paint the trapezoid blue like the crease, you make contact with the goalie anywhere in the blue it's a penalty . .anywhere else he's fair game.

I don't like the 3 points for a win.. instead make it 2 points for a win and zero for a loss .. be it in OT or shootout (if it must be kept) or regulation

I like your goalie rule, but the goalies union will never let it happen.

I prefer 3 points for a win, but if we can't have that, 1 (or as you say 2) point for a win, 0 points for a loss works for me.

If the division winners must have the top two seeds in the conference, then they should draft in positions 17, 18, 19 and 20. Similar to the bottom 2 teams in the conference always drafting 1, 2, 3, 4.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I like your goalie rule, but the goalies union will never let it happen.

I prefer 3 points for a win, but if we can't have that, 1 (or as you say 2) point for a win, 0 points for a loss works for me.

If the division winners must have the top two seeds in the conference, then they should draft in positions 17, 18, 19 and 20. Similar to the bottom 2 teams in the conference always drafting 1, 2, 3, 4.

I agree.. as well I would like to see the last 4 teams in the playoffs re-seeded 1-4 based on regular season record regardless of conference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad