Speculation: Projecting the 2021 Seattle Expansion protection list and who the Wild lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Okay, so his play was starting to fall from where it once was. No one is disagreeing there. Which free agents are going to provide more value, even with declining play, and be willing to sign a 1-year term? How is defense priority #3, when we currently (assuming Soucy is taken) have 3 defenseman with NHL experience on the roster and the GM is feuding with one of the two best immediate placements in the system?
I don't understand BG's angle on this one either.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Just throwing out some names that could be a possibility

Niklas Hjalmarsson - I don't think his cap hit would be that significant. Previously signed a 2yr/5mill contract that's up. Still not a bad player.
Jake McCabe - Bit of a wild card with the injury but shouldn't command too much due to the injury
Ryan Murray - May be a bit high on the salary but someone to consider
Jamie Oleksiak - If we want some size and grit
Patrik Nemeth - Honestly don't know much about him
Dmitri Kulikov
Braydon Coburn
Adam Larsson - Long shot

Reactions: GuerinUp

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Why not do the buy-out in 2 years then? It's not paying a 4th defender for cheap, it's now having to navigate a $7.5m cap hold plus pay a 4, 5, and 6 defender for cheap + the $7.5m cap hold.
as stated above, buyout at this current time was more about the player than his cap hit or on ice performance even i assume.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yet to be seen.
Agreed. Depends on what lens you're looking through regarding "best interest for the team"
On ice performance? Next year, probably not.
Changing the "culture" around the team? Maybe immediately. We may never know what occurs behind closed doors, BUT if any of the rumblings were true I would venture to guess that removing said players from the team would alleviate any previous issues (edit) surrounding those players.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
i think youre 1) overvaluing the type of return we were going to get on suters play this year and 2) undervaluing the type of deals that will be available during flat cap.

secondly, we dont need 6 million dollar defensemen to play 2nd pairing and win

Lastly, losing soucy gives you another 2.75 million to add to the cap we already have to fill these spots.

sign cole for 1-1.5 mil

sign another LD for a 2.5-3 mil deal

problem solved.

this is like the least of our issues.
Whole lotta fail here

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Just throwing out some names that could be a possibility

Niklas Hjalmarsson - I don't think his cap hit would be that significant. Previously signed a 2yr/5mill contract that's up. Still not a bad player.
Jake McCabe - Bit of a wild card with the injury but shouldn't command too much due to the injury
Ryan Murray - May be a bit high on the salary but someone to consider
Jamie Oleksiak - If we want some size and grit
Patrik Nemeth - Honestly don't know much about him
Dmitri Kulikov
Braydon Coburn
Adam Larsson - Long shot
Not one of those guys is even close to the player that Soucy is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why not do the buy-out in 2 years then? It's not paying a 4th defender for cheap, it's now having to navigate a $7.5m cap hold plus pay a 4, 5, and 6 defender for cheap + the $7.5m cap hold.
Cole is likely coming back after expansion.

Signing a 5 cheap is easy. Finding a stop gap 4 isn't tough either. Don't need them to be young like Soucy since they're a stop gap until ROR is ready.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra

Signing a 5 cheap is easy. Finding a stop gap 4 isn't tough either. Don't need them to be young like Soucy since they're a stop gap until ROR is ready.
Are you already writing off Addison, Mennel, and Belipedo?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

If the Wild were looking for a "stopgap 4" who would you go after?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If the Wild were looking for a "stopgap 4" who would you go after?
I haven't looked at the UFA list or who may be available in trade, but there's serviceable players available every year... and now with a flat cap, they're going to be affordable as everyone is crunched for space.

Unless you think we're a cup contender this year, we'll find someone to get by with and likely maintain our bubble team status.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just wondering. Your post mentioned Cole at 5and bringing in a stop gap 4 until ROR is ready. Seems like you bypassed the three I mentioned.
I mentioned it because the post I was responding to was talking about it.

Also, since 2 of the spots are LHD, spots, I'm not sure of any of their abilities on the left side vs the right, so wasn't just going to assume they'd slot left either.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Mortal blow for any team hoping to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Teams can get caught in this trap for half a decade. Especially they are lacking a true #1 to bring up an inferior top-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad