Speculation: Projecting the 2021 Seattle Expansion protection list and who the Wild lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I hate this franchise with all my being.

Where is the meme of Bill Foley looking longingly at the 22 million dollar checks the other owners get to cash or Kelly McCrimmon looking at the 4 million in cap room other GMs are opening up?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Part of me wonders if people just don't know who Soucy is, while Kähkönen has some name recognition after a decent rookie performance.
I think you are hitting the nail on the head. I certainly don't think Wild fans are overrating Soucy, but I think most of the league don't know much about him. Honestly some fans probably don't know anything about him.

While Big Kahk broke the rookie goaltender franchise winning streak last year.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think you are hitting the nail on the head. I certainly don't think Wild fans are overrating Soucy, but I think most of the league don't know much about him. Honestly some fans probably don't know anything about him.

While Big Kahk broke the rookie goaltender franchise winning streak last year.
I think there are a bunch of Wild fans that overrate Soucy because he did extremely well in a 3rd pairing role.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I think there are a bunch of Wild fans that overrate Soucy because he did extremely well in a 3rd pairing role.

I don't think anyone is overrating Soucy I think they are concerned about the impact of losing a top pairing defender and 2 depth options that are known average/above-average at the NHL level and replacing them with 3 unknowns including 2 rookies (especially on the defensive side) with limited cap space and options.

Reactions: MuckOG

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't think anyone is overrating Soucy I think they are concerned about the impact of losing a top pairing defender and 2 depth options that are known average/above-average at the NHL level and replacing them with 3 unknowns including 2 rookies (especially on the defensive side) with limited cap space and options.
This. Wild do not have the cap space to back-fill for both Suter and Soucy via UFAs.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Which decent free agent that is Suter or Soucy's caliber or better is going to sign a 1-year deal with the Wild over a multi-year deal elsewhere?

i think youre 1) overvaluing the type of return we were going to get on suters play this year and 2) undervaluing the type of deals that will be available during flat cap.

secondly, we dont need 6 million dollar defensemen to play 2nd pairing and win

Lastly, losing soucy gives you another 2.75 million to add to the cap we already have to fill these spots.

sign cole for 1-1.5 mil

sign another LD for a 2.5-3 mil deal

problem solved.

this is like the least of our issues.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
i think youre 1) overvaluing the type of return we were going to get on suters play this year and 2) undervaluing the type of deals that will be available during flat cap.

secondly, we dont need 6 million dollar defensemen to play 2nd pairing and win

Lastly, losing soucy gives you another 2.75 million to add to the cap we already have to fill these spots.

sign cole for 1-1.5 mil

sign another LD for a 2.5-3 mil deal

problem solved.

this is like the least of our issues.

You're making guesses. Suter was arguably our best defender during the Vegas series. While he may not be what he once was and almost certainly won't be, he would still more likely than not be a solid 2nd pairing D or better. Soucy seemingly can provide above average 3rd pairing value or low-end #4 d type value for cheap.

Again, who can provide similar level of production and is willing to sign a 1-year deal over a multi-year deal elsewhere? I don't know of many top 4 or even good top 6 pairing D-men that are average or above average NHL caliber players that reach FA that sign 1-year deals. If they do, it's because you're taking on the same type of risk with say Suter in terms of aging risk.

Reactions: 57special

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
You're making guesses. Suter was arguably our best defender during the Vegas series. While he may not be what he once was and almost certainly won't be, he would still more likely than not be a solid 2nd pairing D or better. Soucy seemingly can provide above average 3rd pairing value or low-end #4 d type value for cheap.

Again, who can provide similar level of production and is willing to sign a 1-year deal over a multi-year deal elsewhere? I don't know of many top 4 or even good top 6 pairing D-men that are average or above average NHL caliber players that reach FA that sign 1-year deals. If they do, it's because you're taking on the same type of risk with say Suter in terms of aging risk.

its not a guess, you can see his play starting to fall in metrics. 2) no that wouldve been dumba in vegas.

as far as free agents go theres plenty of serviceable LD that are available that can cover a year or two before we bring up orourke. The market is huge rn

again, its almost like youre looking for reasons to panic. Our focus needs to be center. defense is priority #3 right now.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
its not a guess, you can see his play starting to fall in metrics. 2) no that wouldve been dumba in vegas.

as far as free agents go theres plenty of serviceable LD that are available that can cover a year or two before we bring up orourke.

again, its almost like youre looking for reasons to panic. Our focus needs to be center. defense is priority #3 right now.

I think he's more so worried about finding a quality, affordable LD that would be willing to sign for more than a year. Do you have anyone in mind?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I think he's more so worried about finding a quality, affordable LD that would be willing to sign for more than a year. Do you have anyone in mind?

well that would depend on the type of defensemen youre looking for. I for one wouldnt mind an offensive minded LD to pair with spurgeon and give a different look on the PP

Martinez for instance (although he may be more than i want to spend)

but the reality is we really dont want to sign someone longer than 2 years, as orourke should be ready by then.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
well that would depend on the type of defensemen youre looking for. I for one wouldnt mind an offensive minded LD to pair with spurgeon and give a different look on the PP

but the reality is we really dont want to sign someone longer than 2 years, as orourke should be ready by then.

So Soucy's 2 years left is kind of perfect then.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

as far as free agents go theres plenty of serviceable LD that are available that can cover a year or two before we bring up orourke. The market is huge rn

Okay, so his play was starting to fall from where it once was. No one is disagreeing there. Which free agents are going to provide more value, even with declining play, and be willing to sign a 1-year term? How is defense priority #3, when we currently (assuming Soucy is taken) have 3 defenseman with NHL experience on the roster and the GM is feuding with one of the two best immediate placements in the system?

Reactions: 2Pair

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I agree with the bolded. My point is that finding a UFA top 4LD (If Soucy is gone) to sign short term is harder than it sounds. Martinez is going to get $5M and will get term.

Reactions: 57special

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, so his play was starting to fall from where it once was. No one is disagreeing there. Which free agents are going to provide more value, even with declining play, and be willing to sign a 1-year term? How is defense priority #3, when we currently (assuming Soucy is taken) have 3 defenseman with NHL experience on the roster and the GM is feuding with one of the two best immediate placements in the system?
Depends on what you mean by value. Play versus cap? I wouldn't say Suter's value was trending in the right direction.
I also completely disagree with him being the best defender in the Vegas series, by a large margin actually.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Suter isn't a top pairing dman anymore and they weren't that concerned with losing a top pairing dman when they wanted to expose Dumba over Soucy for cap space... Depth guys are relatively cheap and easy to acquire.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Depends on what you mean by value. Play versus cap? I wouldn't say Suter's value was trending in the right direction.
I also completely disagree with him being the best defender in the Vegas series, by a large margin actually.

I'm not arguing play versus cap. That's fine you can disagree if you'd like, but I don't think it would help your overall argument. If there is a plan and the plan is executed, great. I think it's fair to be concerned until a clear plan is shown and executed upon when you willingly lose half of your top 6 and openly do not show interest in some of the guys in the pipeline with the most immediate value

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So Soucy's 2 years left is kind of perfect then.
I don't think anyone will be upset if Soucy stays here. In fact, it would be nice to know if he could play top 4 next to Spurgeon ala Scandella.

I'm just not going to be all up in arms if Seattle selects him. In fact, I'm wondering what dmen Seattle will have for sale. We could trade for a dman.

Reactions: TaLoN and GuerinUp

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

i think youre not understanding the situation correctly. Suter was our 4th best defensemen. You dont need to find a player who gives you more value, you just need to find someone thats cheaper that will be serviceable and not get blown on the outside (like suter). plenty of players can manage that.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
i think youre not understanding the situation correctly. Suter was our 4th best defensemen. You dont need to find a player who gives you more value, you just need to find someone thats cheaper that will be serviceable and not get blown on the outside (like suter). plenty of players can manage that.

I understand the situation just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad