Aki Berg
Lasse Kukkonen
Toni Lydman
Antti-Jussi Niemi
Petteri Nummelin
Teppo Numminen
Sami Salo
Kimmo Timonen
Hoping for luck isn't a very good strategy is it?

Speedthrash

Apr 4, 2016
I assume, when this is NHL-controlled tournament, taking part for selected players will be mandatory (if not injured). NHL will not stop the league to make a tournament for 4th liners...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sour grapes. They didn't allow a single goal in most of their games. Including shutouts against both Canada and Russia. With Antero Niittymäki in goal.
No sour grapes on my part just stating the facts that Finland back end on paper is equally the weakest of the 4 nations and the attempt to say they could field 2 teams was non sensical.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I am curious if there will be many declines? I hope not but keep wondering how much the players will value this one?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Does team USA have a McDavid, MacKinnon or Makar? To me they don’t. But Canada doesn’t have the goaltending that USA does.
McDavid and MacKinnon are great players and I would agree are better overall players than the best the U.S. has to offer. That said, a center group of Matthews, Eichel, Hughes, and say Larkin is nothing to sneeze at and holds up well. I don't put Makar in a separate tier like you do. He is obviously a great player and in many years you won't get an argument out of me saying he's the best d-man in the game. He's not *that* much better than a Hughes or Fox though, My opinion.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

If Hockey Canada keeps Makar suspended for 2026....just cause he happened to be on the 2018 team, I might have to hope they fail just for the utter stupidity lol

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Forsberg - Pettersson - Nylander
Bratt - Zibanejad - Kempe
Raymond - Eriksson Ek - E. Lindholm
Nyqvist - W. Karlsson - Carlsson
Backlund

Hedman - Karlsson
H. Lindholm - Dahlin
Forsling - Andersson
Ekholm

Ullmark
Markström

PP1: Pettersson - Forsberg - Bratt - Nylander - Karlsson
PP2: Zibanejad - Carlsson - Kempe - Hedman - Dahlin
PK1: W. Karlsson - E. Lindholm - Forsling - Andersson
PK2: Pettersson - Eriksson Ek - H. Lindholm - Hedman

That team will be super tough for anyone to beat

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

You're way overrating the difference between players in a short tournament. Finland will be the lowest ranked team on paper (someone has to be) but in a tournament consisting of just four games they could easily end up playing the best team defence.

Reactions: Lambo and Czechboy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You're way overrating the difference between players in a short tournament. Finland will be the lowest ranked team on paper (someone has to be) but in a tournament consisting of just four games they could easily end up playing the best team defence.
Sure it could happen and I'm sure I will be told multiple times from some extra enthusiastic posters on how under rated the Finns will be.

It's just better to be better IMO.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

If Hockey Canada keeps Makar suspended for 2026....just cause he happened to be on the 2018 team, I might have to hope they fail just for the utter stupidity lol

Kinda stupid to suspend all when kyrou and at least 2 others werent even in town and therefore couldnt possibly be a part of the assualt or onlookers.

Reactions: ORRFForever

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Read somewhere that the games will be 3v3, is this correct or just me misunderstanding?

Last edited:

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
I'm not sure if I understood this correctly, but luck had absolutely nothing to do with the Finnish run in 2006. In fact, they were probably closer to being unlucky to NOT win it all. Team Finland in Turin proceeded to Finals after beating Canada 2-0, USA 4-3 and Russia 4-0, and lost a single period in the whole tournament, in the Finals against Sweden, who had a much easier route to the Finals. It was by far the most impressive Team Finland performance I've ever seen in an international tournament. And that one game they lost was a very close fought battle (3-2), where one of deciding goals were scored after Saku Koivu broke his stick. Finland was more impressive overall in the tournament, but Sweden won the one game that mattered most.

Reactions: THE JAM and Jussi

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Luck had nothing to do with it. Until the final when Koivu's stick broke in the 3rd period opening face-off and while he was getting a new one, which was required by the rules, Swedes scored with basically a man advantage.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not sure if I understood this correctly, but luck had absolutely nothing to do with the Finnish run in 2006. In fact, they were probably closer to being unlucky to NOT win it all. Team Finland in Turin proceeded to Finals after beating Canada 2-0, USA 4-3 and Russia 4-0, and lost a single period in the whole tournament, in the Finals against Sweden, who had a much easier route to the Finals. It was by far the most impressive Team Finland performance I've ever seen in an international tournament. And that one game they lost was a very close fought battle (3-2), where one of deciding goals were scored after Saku Koivu broke his stick. Finland was more impressive overall in the tournament, but Sweden won the one game that mattered most.
That's all great but really has very little to do with the 4 team NHL tournament 25 years later right?

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Forsberg - Pettersson - Nylander
Bratt - Zibanejad - Kempe
Raymond - Eriksson Ek - E. Lindholm
Nyqvist - W. Karlsson - Carlsson
Backlund

Hedman - Karlsson
H. Lindholm - Dahlin
Forsling - Andersson
Ekholm

Ullmark
Markström

PP1: Pettersson - Forsberg - Bratt - Nylander - Karlsson
PP2: Zibanejad - Carlsson - Kempe - Hedman - Dahlin
PK1: W. Karlsson - E. Lindholm - Forsling - Andersson
PK2: Pettersson - Eriksson Ek - H. Lindholm - Hedman

That team will be super tough for anyone to beat
Brodin makes it imo

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Ur swedish forwards makes no sense. Wennerberg and Burakovsky? wtf

Bratt - Pettersson - Nylander
Forsberg - Zibanejad - Kempe
Elias Lindholm - Eriksson Ek - Raymond
Höglander - W.Karksson - Nyquist
That is a good team.

TEAM CANADA
Hyman McDavid Bedard
Crosby MacKinnon Stamkos
Reinhart Point Marchand
Marner Thomas Verhaghe
Horvat

Toews Makar
Doughty Dobson
Morrissey Theodore
Nurse

Hill
Jarry
Ingram

PP1 McDavid-Hyman-MacKinnon-Bedard-Makar
PP2 Crosby-Stamkos-Point-Morrissey-Dobson
PK1 Reinhart-Marchand-Doughty-Nurse
PK2 Marner-Thomas-Toews-Theodore

Gold.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
That is a good team.

TEAM CANADA
Hyman McDavid Bedard
Crosby MacKinnon Stamkos
Reinhart Point Marchand
Marner Thomas Verhaghe
Horvat

Toews Makar
Doughty Dobson
Morrissey Theodore
Nurse

Hill
Jarry
Ingram

PP1 McDavid-Hyman-MacKinnon-Bedard-Makar
PP2 Crosby-Stamkos-Point-Morrissey-Dobson
PK1 Reinhart-Marchand-Doughty-Nurse
PK2 Marner-Thomas-Toews-Theodore

Gold.
Not a bad team. I’d rather have Barzal over Stamkos in 2026. Nurse? Surely, we can find someone better than him.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Nurse as a 3rd pair/7th guy would help the team. The problem in Edmonton is too much responsibility.
I too agree with you regarding Nurse’s play on Edmonton. He’s actually not a bad player, it just his contract that makes him look bad. I just think we have better defencemen than Nurse. Pelech and Weegar are better shutdown guys. Dunn, Chabot and Reilly are just as good as offensive options

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad