Pro Women's League with 2 new huge operational rules

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Its funny to see everybody hating , you guys don't even watch what do you care. Let the PWHL be the testing grounds for whacky NHL rules , how is this seen as bad? Unless you are an actual fan tuning into the league , then I could understand why you would be annoyed.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
IMO for fears of tanking in the NFL I think they should do an equally weighted raffle for the worst 2-5 teams in the league.
Each team has an equal chance of getting the 1st overall or 5th overall, for example.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Rule 2 is terrible, it would be even worse in NHL though (the schedule would actually have an impact on the draft order).
Excellent point. I liked the concept at first. This point alone flipped me to no. It's okay for a 6 team league. But not the NHL

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Its funny to see everybody hating , you guys don't even watch what do you care.
Welcome to the internet. People opine on all kinds of stuff they aren't personally connected to or that has zero impact on their lives.

See: every time the cap gets mentioned and people worry about billionaires not being able to spend more money, billionaires losing money and the opportunities for billionaires to make more money when none of that trickles down to them or will change the price of anything they pay for related to their favorite team by even $0.01.

Let the PWHL be the testing grounds for whacky NHL rules
I don't have a problem with this.

how is this seen as bad?
It's bad when results from small sample sizes get extrapolated to larger populations and treated as if all the results will be the same. Or, when theory gets implemented in reality even after problems with the theory get pointed out and they're either ignored or dismissed with yeah, well that will never happen.

Also see: people trying to use teh analytics without bothering to try and understand the why behind them.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Rule 1 great for the PWHL. Not for the NHL.

Rule 1 of picking your opponent makes sense for a new league that's trying to get fans and followers. They need to build storylines and rivalries quickly. This plan does both. Letting a top seed pick their opponent gets fans interested, and creates a rivalry with the team they pick.

It wouldn't work in the NHL. There's too much on the line to let a choice like this screw things up. A season ended because you got beat by the team you picked to play against? That could be career ending at worst for whatever coach or executive made the call. And you'd have fans remembering a bad choice for decades.

Reactions: Guttersniped

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I like that higher placed teams select their opponents going into the playoffs. It would make the 82 game season REALLY matter.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Love it...should create some great games

hate it...this assumes players were intentionally "tanking" and will now try hard in games to get a #1 overall

sometimes, your team just sucks and has bad players
Agreed.

Players don't tank. They are all playing for contracts and ice time, hitting certain performance bonuses, etc... Upper management definitely make decisions about which team they ice that could be construed as "tanking", though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I like the second rule.
Thats actually a good way to avoid blantant tanking.
One could keep it seperate from the actual points table. But it could work.

I would hope teams in a brand new league trying to cultivate fans wouldn't even think about tanking at this point. That would be a horrible way to build a new product.

Reactions: Zarzh

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
They're two of the dumbest ideas people post on social media.

The only positive about picking your opponent is it creates rivalries.

The Golden Rule is just dumb, and means more stars will wallow in mediocrity and a less exciting trade deadline and draft.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I see it that way too. So say the Pens try to make the playoffs and lose on the last day to the Hawks, they don’t have more than one or zero games to accumulate points, while say the Ducks have been eliminated since March 1st, thus giving them 20 games to accumulate points.

This is terrible, worst than everything proposed on this board ever.
A team that was eliminated on the final day of the regular season has the wrost draft position?

That sounds so radically different than the current system in place.

:/

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wouldn't mind a limited version of that first one in the NHL, I wouldn't go so far as letting the 1 seed pick any opponent since I think being able to go so far as picking the 2 seed to play in the first round after they have a rash or injuries or something like that would be a bit silly plus other teams they also did well kinda earned the right not to face the top team right away in their own right but i'd be in favor of letting them pick which wild card they want to face

the second one is just a bad idea

Last edited:

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
That's a good plan. I think someone had a similar plan here before, and it seemed good too. Would need to see it 5 years ahead to see how it works though, before NHL considers it.

Reactions: Elvis P

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Excellent point. I liked the concept at first. This point alone flipped me to no. It's okay for a 6 team league. But not the NHL
The schedule would have an impact on the draft order. But do you know what has an even bigger impact? The random lottery. I would much prefer deal with the "unfairness" of the schedule than the lottery. At least teams have some control on the outcome.

The Golden plan is amazing as it would make the final games of an eliminated team so impactful. Arenas would be full of enthusiastic fans rooting FOR their team rather than against.

The positives outweigh soooo much the negatives. I'm actually baffled that so many people would be against it. And this is coming from a Hawks fan who wouldn't have been given Bedard under the PWHL rules. And so be it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'll have to dig it up, but when I applied it to last year's eliminations, the results were just random. Most teams are mathematically eliminated with less than 10 games to go. And I think there was a case of two teams in different conferences being eliminated on the same day, but one team had an extra game left to "gain" points on the other.

And one other issue is what would teams do with their non-premium playoff rentals. Do you trade them for a mid-round pick or keep them to help you "earn" a higher pick. Ie, does Anaheim deal John Klingberg last year or keep him so they don't have to dress an AHL defender down the stretch? What motivation does Klingberg have to help the Ducks when he wouldn't be returning?

Personally think it sounds better in theory than actual application.

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
if I understand the concept correctly , the team starts scoring points once they are officially ruled out of the playoffs ?

If Arizona overachieves and manages to be officially eliminated in February ... can they start scoring points before the others ?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Nah. People care way too much about "tanking".

It is not a guarantee success plan. Just cause you tank doesnt mean youre going to be a contender for years.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
These two leagues are barely the same sport with the huge gap in play.

NHL should not be adopting anything it does.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00