Pro Women's League with 2 new huge operational rules

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
thoughts on these?

1-1st place team gets to pick their 1st round opponents

2-Once a team is eliminated from the playoffs, every point the team earns gets the team a "Draft Order Point". The team with the most Draft Order Points at the end of the season gets the 1st pick, meaning if you truly tank, you risk better teams getting more points than you after elimination.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I like the second rule.
Thats actually a good way to avoid blantant tanking.
One could keep it seperate from the actual points table. But it could work.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I love that they’re taking an entrepreneurial approach instead of copycatting other leagues. Both of these ideas have been floated on HFBoards many, many times so it will be interesting to see how it plays out in a real life experiment.

Eh if anything, the women and their league are being used as guenia pigs here imo.

Like when pro leagues test things in the minors first.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
For rule 2, wouldn't there be an incentive for a bottom-tier team to be mathematically eliminated as soon as possible? The tank would happen up the point of elimination in other words, in order to start accruing draft order points after that.
I see it that way too. So say the Pens try to make the playoffs and lose on the last day to the Hawks, they don’t have more than one or zero games to accumulate points, while say the Ducks have been eliminated since March 1st, thus giving them 20 games to accumulate points.

This is terrible, worst than everything proposed on this board ever.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I like the second rule.
Thats actually a good way to avoid blantant tanking.
One could keep it seperate from the actual points table. But it could work.
It is only a good rule in a single-division league; in NHL, it would be a disaster.

Reactions: Musampa

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
2nd rule is good. I've read Micah Blake McCurdy tweet about it...I think it's called gold drafting or something like that.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The problem of how to award the 1OA will never be solved.
It's not a problem though. You do it based on standings. If you must institute some sort of safeguard, just make it so you can only draft 1st overall twice every 5 years ir something. If you bottom out more than that, you swap places with the #3, they move to #2, and they go to 1st.

But really, just do it on standings. If a couple of teams are truly horrible for decades at a time, so be it. Everyone else will still improve, like they do now, and go on to more success than the teams constantly duking it out for last every year. Eventually you'll see more young RFA's hold out for trades. Might even see more kids pull a Lindros. Which wouldn't even be bad because teams that are that horribly run deserve it, and the pressure it would garner would make or break. The fans would empathize with the players, no doubt.

Yes, I understand I'm an Oilers fan.
I know what I said.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HighAndTight

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
For rule 2, wouldn't there be an incentive for a bottom-tier team to be mathematically eliminated as soon as possible? The tank would happen up the point of elimination in other words, in order to start accruing draft order points after that.
There is an incentive for it, but it is not as good of an incentive as the current system of losing games for the whole season. Now you only want to tank for a shorter portion of the season (i.e. the time you realize you're not making the playoffs to the time you are mathematically eliminated). Also, the main action you'd make to tank (trade players away) has the consequence of making your team worse during the time you're accumulating draft points.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
thoughts on these?

1-1st place team gets to pick their 1st round opponents

Love it...should create some great games

2-Once a team is eliminated from the playoffs, every point the team earns gets the team a "Draft Order Point". The team with the most Draft Order Points at the end of the season gets the 1st pick, meaning if you truly tank, you risk better teams getting more points than you after elimination.
hate it...this assumes players were intentionally "tanking" and will now try hard in games to get a #1 overall

sometimes, your team just sucks and has bad players

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I think for the PWHL and the small pool of teams you can get away with both these rules.

For Rule 1, I'm of two conflicting thoughts -- 1. It gives incentive to finishing 1st overall; 2. It cheapens the regular season and its standings.

For Rule 2, same thing -- kind of cool yet lame at the same time. I think it could expedite blatant tanking more than dissuading it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It is only a good rule in a single-division league; in NHL, it would be a disaster.
Nah, it would be fun.

Love it...should create some great games

hate it...this assumes players were intentionally "tanking" and will now try hard in games to get a #1 overall

sometimes, your team just sucks and has bad players

Its a 6 team league, and 4 teams make the playoffs....

It's two teams fighting for 1st pick.

Reactions: nturn06

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Rule 2 sounds dumb to me.
It ensures that truly bad teams stay that way longer.
And a very good team with injuries for the first half of the season could end up drafting #1.

Imagine Colorado having Mackinnon, Makar, and Rantanan all injured and they get eliminated early. Then those players come back and they go on a run but still fall short of the playoffs.
Now give them Bedard.

It's dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad