Pro Women's League with 2 new huge operational rules

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Gold draft is ridiculous. On top of all the other issues, it doesn't at all take into account the strength of the opponents two teams face. If team A and team B are essentially identical but team A plays their remaining four games against Boston, Florida, NYR, and Vancouver, while team B plays against against Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, and San Jose, things are incredibly unbalanced. Teams that have harder schedules to start the year will get eliminated earlier and have easier opponents later and will be massively favored by the system, meaning that the scheduling will be incredibly scrutinized and an even bigger source of issues than it is now.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The SHL did this. Picked their opponent on live TV.

Needless to say, they ditched it after like 4 seasons.

It is still being done in the EBEL/ICE Hockey League. One argument I have seen is that there were suspected instances of teams with a playoff ticket secured basically throwing games at the end of the regular season in oder to avoid a specific lower-seeded opponent (either their cryptonite or just a particularly hot team). Picking your opponent eliminated any potential incentive for higher-seeded teams to tank.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Everything about this is horrendous.

Pretty on-brand for a league that launched without team names.

And why do you feel they need team names? Why is it important that a team be known as the The Toronto Somethngs as opposed to simply Toronto?

Yes, I realize they are likely to have them in the future (probably for season 2) but I'm just curious why you thi nk it's s bad to not have them.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
let them test it for us and see how it goes before mocking them. Its an interesting experiment , I'm talking about the draft idea

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Nobody needs to draft 1st overall more than a couple of times in a five year span to pull out of the dumpster.
This sounds great, and yet it's such a lazy point because it pretends "just add talent, and everything is immediately better" is the solution, when NHL history has shown repeatedly that merely adding a top player (or 2 ... or 3 ... or maybe even a half dozen picks in the top-10, like Quebec had from 1987-1991) is some instant cure, when there's a whole lot of other reasons - especially injuries and player holdouts - that might make it difficult.

If you want to invoke "fairness" here, do it. The fact is, bad teams are bad for a reason; slinging shit at them and screaming just f***ing get better or you can f***ing suffer doesn't magically make them better.

But to the last statement:

I don't see how a limit of 2 first overall picks in a 5 year period hurts anyone from continuing to improve

I don't see how not having a limit on how many times a team can pick in whatever range in whatever time period hurts anyone - and it's just as valid a statement. Meaning: it's a throwaway statement that everyone should just accept without further justification.

Reactions: sabremike

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This sounds great, and yet it's such a lazy point because it pretends "just add talent, and everything is immediately better" is the solution, when NHL history has shown repeatedly that merely adding a top player (or 2 ... or 3 ... or maybe even a half dozen picks in the top-10, like Quebec had from 1987-1991) is some instant cure, when there's a whole lot of other reasons - especially injuries and player holdouts - that might make it difficult.

If you want to invoke "fairness" here, do it. The fact is, bad teams are bad for a reason; slinging shit at them and screaming just f***ing get better or you can f***ing suffer doesn't magically make them better.

But to the last statement:

I don't see how not having a limit on how many times a team can pick in whatever range in whatever time period hurts anyone - and it's just as valid a statement. Meaning: it's a throwaway statement that everyone should just accept without further justification.
Bad teams that stay bad for long stretches of time stay that way because they're poorly run. That's their own problem. The only difference is instead of finishing last and getting to draft 1st year after year, you only get to do it a couple of times in a pretty generous period of time then you get slightly lower picks, and people don't have to watch the next big thing get drafted into oblivion.

Taking away their first round pick certainly isn't going to magically help them get better. I've more than justified my opinion on this, to which you said does nothing but create way more problems, which it really doesn't, and then to expand on that you suggest teams instead have draft picks removed, because bad teams are bad for a reason.

Could you explain to me how capping 1st overalls at twice per 5 years creates a ton of new problems? Because clearly I'm not seeing it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And why do you feel they need team names? Why is it important that a team be known as the The Toronto Somethngs as opposed to simply Toronto?

Yes, I realize they are likely to have them in the future (probably for season 2) but I'm just curious why you thi nk it's s bad to not have them.
because they all look generic and rushed

literally no uniqueness between the teams

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The draft thing is silly. If anything it just incentivize tanking ever further. The sooner you're out, the more time you have to accumulate points.

Reactions: Gustave

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
thoughts on these?

1-1st place team gets to pick their 1st round opponents

2-Once a team is eliminated from the playoffs, every point the team earns gets the team a "Draft Order Point". The team with the most Draft Order Points at the end of the season gets the 1st pick, meaning if you truly tank, you risk better teams getting more points than you after elimination.

I’ve wanted the first rule in sports since I first heard someone mention it years ago

second rule wouldn’t work in the NHL because nothing is equal and some markets only have drafting high as an option to get top talent. Between no tax states, no move clauses, the ridiculously counterintuitive way offer sheets favor teams that are already good who probably don’t have cap space anyway (seriously how is this never talked about? The system treats San Jose and Florida like they’re holding the same pick value next year) And a dozen other reasons.

Every avenue to talent other than the draft is wildly uneven for some teams…and the draft is the only one anyone ever wants to change.

Reactions: sabremike

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
2nd rule is dumb.

In a 32-team league, that'd mean that worst team would draft 16th, maybe if that team has good year they might improve their draft position to 14th or so, but it'd make it wholly impossible for that team to build elite depth thru the draft.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
2nd rule is dumb.

In a 32-team league, that'd mean that worst team would draft 16th, maybe if that team has good year they might improve their draft position to 14th or so, but it'd make it wholly impossible for that team to build elite depth thru the draft.
Response from others: they should have thought about that before deciding to suck.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It took balls to implement to the Gold Plan.

Yes, I went there.

2nd rule is dumb.

That means the worst team will be eliminated before the others, and will start accruing points far earlier too.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Gold draft is ridiculous. On top of all the other issues, it doesn't at all take into account the strength of the opponents two teams face. If team A and team B are essentially identical but team A plays their remaining four games against Boston, Florida, NYR, and Vancouver, while team B plays against against Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus, and San Jose, things are incredibly unbalanced. Teams that have harder schedules to start the year will get eliminated earlier and have easier opponents later and will be massively favored by the system, meaning that the scheduling will be incredibly scrutinized and an even bigger source of issues than it is now.

Gold drafting is ridiculous for the NHL because it doesn’t take into account that players aren’t going to give a shit about their team’s draft position.

NHL rosters have a lot of turnover. It’s very likely a current player will be gone by the time that pick shows up as a player in the NHL.

Not all players want to be a rentals, but many do, particularly if they haven’t had many shots at the playoffs.

Is a GM going to tell a player “sorry we need to keep you because we’re making a push for a top five pick”?

It’s just ass-backwards.

I do think it’s potentially a good idea for the PWHL because a novelty that gets fans interested in non-playoff teams’ games is good for them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
For rule 2, wouldn't there be an incentive for a bottom-tier team to be mathematically eliminated as soon as possible? The tank would happen up the point of elimination in other words, in order to start accruing draft order points after that.
Yep. What a horrible rule.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Anaheim, Detroit and Montreal would get screwed in a "Gold Draft" of last year. Ottawa and Buffalo would get sizeable boosts for only winning two games.

(And yes I know teams would play differently with different draft rules, but it still shows that a legitimately bad team would just get screwed over in a Gold Draft, keeping them perpetually bad)

Team​
Eliminated​
W​
L​
OTL​
Points​
Gold Draft​
Actual Draft​
Difference​
Columbus Blue Jackets​
3/17/2023​
4​
8​
2​
10​
1​
2​
1​
San Jose Sharks​
3/14/2023​
3​
8​
3​
9​
2​
4​
2​
Vancouver Canucks​
4/2/2023​
4​
2​
0​
8​
3​
11​
8​
Ottawa Senators​
4/6/2023​
2​
0​
1​
5​
4​
12​
8​
Chicago Blackhawks​
3/18/2023​
2​
10​
1​
5​
5​
3​
-2​
Buffalo Sabers​
4/11/2023​
2​
0​
0​
4​
6​
13​
7​
St. Louis Blues​
4/2/2023​
2​
3​
0​
4​
7​
10​
3​
Philadelphia Flyers​
4/1/2023​
2​
5​
0​
4​
8​
7​
-1​
Arizona Coyotes​
3/24/2023​
1​
6​
2​
4​
9​
6​
-3​
Washington Capitals​
4/4/2023​
1​
3​
1​
3​
10​
8​
-2​
Nashville Predators​
4/11/2023​
1​
1​
0​
2​
11​
15​
4​
Calgary Flames​
4/10/2023​
1​
0​
0​
2​
12​
16​
4​
Montreal Canadiens​
3/28/2023​
1​
6​
0​
2​
13​
5​
-8​
Anaheim Ducks​
3/19/2023​
0​
10​
2​
2​
14​
1​
-13​
Pittsburgh Penguins​
4/12/2023​
0​
0​
1​
1​
15​
14​
-1​
Detroit Red Wings​
4/6/2023​
0​
4​
0​
0​
16​
9​
-7​

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
It's only number of points that matter in the second one right? So like three points in 12 games is better than two points in two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad