Price on any playoff team, contender?

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
It's not that Price is heads and shoulders better than the average great goalie in any given season the way Hasek was. It's that he is consistently great from season to season, so you know you will have a fairly reliable goalie throughout the 6 month regular season.

I love debating Carey Price's over-inflated worth in the eyes of many.

Carey Price isn't even close to being in Dominik Hasek's league, no goaltender in the NHL is either and heaven help the other 30 NHL teams should a goalie ever have a run like Hasek had. Over an eight year span, he won six Vezina trophies, two Hart trophies and led the league in SV% six times. Regular season success that every NHL goalie since could only dream of to go along with playoff success and multiple cups.

Dominik Hasek is a legend, Carey Price is not.

But we also find that from season to season, different goaltenders emerge who we would not have thought of, who end up just as good as Price for that particular season.

So over an entire career, yes, Price is greater than other goalies. But that doesn't necessarily translate for any single regular season, much less a single playoff run.

I agree, Carey Price is greater than other goalies, like Brian Elliot and Kari Lehtonen for example. His regular season numbers are only slightly better or worse than nearly half of the starting goalies in the NHL today. Rask, Quick, Schneider, Holtby, Bishop, Lundqvist, Crawford, Rinne, Bobrovsky, Luongo, Dubnyk, Varlamov, Howard. All these goalies have a career regular season SV% no worse than +0.05% compared Carey Price's career SV%. Outside of Varlamov(+0.23) and Dubnyk (+0.14), no goalie listed there has more than a +0.09 higher GAA compared to Carey Price's career GAA.

Carey Price's career regular season performance is very comparable to nearly half the starting goaltenders in the league.

The playoffs are where Carey Price truly shows his lack of worth. Lets look at the top 10 active leaders in playoff GP.

Henrik Lundqvist
Marc-Andre Fluery
Corey Crawford
Jonathan Quick
Pekka Rinne
Roberto Luongo
Antti Niemi
Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Tukka Rask

Of the ten names on that list, five have backstopped a team to at least one Stanley Cup championship. Fluery, Crawford, Quick, Niemi and Rask.

Of the five remaining names, Lundqvist, Luongo, Rinne, Price and Holtby, only Carey Price has a worse SV% and GAA in the playoffs than in the regular season and only Price and Holtby have yet to lead a team to a finals appearance.

It should be noted that in Holtby's case, his lack of a deep playoff run to this point could be attributed to being the newest and least experienced goalie on that list. Having only been a starter for the past five years compared to Price's ten years as a starting goalie.

In conclusion, when it comes to the playoffs, no goalie in the NHL today has more experience at being unsuccessful than Carey Price has.

Last edited:

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Price on Leafs probably makes them a cup favorite regardless of their defensive issues.

This is probably accurate.

They have the forwards to line up with anybody.

The d doesn't suck, but isn't elite either.

The Penguins didn't have elite d when they won the cup last year.

Price can put the Leafs over the top.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What? I thought his current team just last week a lock for the playoffs and a contender for the division..and "easily" no less...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Would love to see what a team like the Jets could do with world class goaltending.

The Jets need more than good goaltending. They need a new coach that can implement a system that will help them win games the right way.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
I'm just thinking about his contract and if he didn't resign he probably would have been traded at the deadline, if that were to happen would whichever team that gets him be a contender? Would a playoff team even choose to pickup Price for a playoff run so late into the season?
Not at all. Maybe contender for playoffs. Not for the cup. He is not that much better than another great goalies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Would love to see what a team like the Jets could do with world class goaltending.

Agreed.....we're working on developing it. Price is not the answer though. No interest in a 30 yr goalie being paid 10+ million per yr and a huge term. Price is setup to retire with the Habs.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

Carey Price isn't even close to being in Dominik Hasek's league, no goaltender in the NHL is either and heaven help the other 30 NHL teams should a goalie ever have a run like Hasek had. Over an eight year span, he won six Vezina trophies, two Hart trophies and led the league in SV% six times. Regular season success that every NHL goalie since could only dream of to go along with playoff success and multiple cups.

I agree, Carey Price is greater than other goalies, like Brian Elliot and Kari Lehtonen for example. His regular season numbers are only slightly better or worse than nearly half of the starting goalies in the NHL today. Rask, Quick, Schneider, Holtby, Bishop, Lundqvist, Crawford, Rinne, Bobrovsky, Luongo, Dubnyk, Varlamov, Howard. All these goalies have a career regular season SV% no worse than +0.05% compared Carey Price's career SV%. Outside of Varlamov(+0.23) and Dubnyk (+0.14), no goalie listed there has more than a +0.09 higher GAA compared to Carey Price's career GAA.

Carey Price's career regular season performance is very comparable to nearly half the starting goaltenders in the league.

The playoffs are where Carey Price truly shows his lack of worth. Lets look at the top 10 active leaders in playoff GP.

Henrik Lundqvist
Marc-Andre Fluery
Corey Crawford
Jonathan Quick
Pekka Rinne
Roberto Luongo
Antti Niemi
Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Tukka Rask

Of the ten names on that list, five have backstopped a team to at least one Stanley Cup championship. Fluery, Crawford, Quick, Niemi and Rask.

Of the five remaining names, Lundqvist, Luongo, Rinne, Price and Holtby, only Carey Price has a worse SV% and GAA in the playoffs than in the regular season and only Price and Holtby have yet to lead a team to a finals appearance.

It should be noted that in Holtby's case, his lack of a deep playoff run to this point could be attributed to being the newest and least experienced goalie on that list. Having only been a starter for the past five years compared to Price's ten years as a starting goalie.

In conclusion, when it comes to the playoffs, no goalie in the NHL today has more experience at being unsuccessful than Carey Price has.

Truer words never spoken on these boards....bravo!

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

That's a good point. I think the Jets are one team that would greatly benefit from acquiring Price. I believe they'd be instant contenders, as it would shore up their biggest weakness.

I could see Edmonton and Buffalo as well.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

Henrik Lundqvist
Marc-Andre Fluery
Corey Crawford
Jonathan Quick
Pekka Rinne
Roberto Luongo
Antti Niemi
Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Tukka Rask

Price and Holtby haven't even got out of the second round.
:laugh:
Correction: Price with Tokarski did it one year but he never managed it on his own.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Price was injured in the east finals once he got there, so wasn't really his fault.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC

Henrik Lundqvist
Marc-Andre Fluery
Corey Crawford
Jonathan Quick
Pekka Rinne
Roberto Luongo
Antti Niemi
Carey Price
Braden Holtby
Tukka Rask

Rask played a grand total of zero playoff games during the Bruins Stanley Cup run. He didn't backstop anyone to a Stanley Cup championship.

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
Rask played a grand total of zero playoff games during the Bruins Stanley Cup run. He didn't backstop anyone to a Stanley Cup championship.

You're right, that was Tim Thomas, my mistake. Rask did however backstop the Bruins to the 2012-13 cup finals while posting a .940 SV% and a 1.88 GAA. Rask is also the leader in both career SV% and GAA among active NHL goalies in the regular season.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
You're right, that was Tim Thomas, my mistake. Rask did however backstop the Bruins to the 2012-13 cup finals while posting a .940 SV% and a 1.88 GAA. Rask is also the leader in both career SV% and GAA among active NHL goalies in the regular season.

Very true. I don’t disagree with your premise, I just wanted to point out the discrepancy.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Price and Holtby haven't even got out of the second round.
:laugh:
Correction: Price with Tokarski did it one year but he never managed it on his own.

Price did...he was injured in the conference finals against NY Tokarski wasnt even the backup until Price got hurt. Is the whole proccess of spending a second to double check to make sure that youre actually even right before you post something as a fact a dead practice here?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Price did...he was injured in the conference finals against NY Tokarski wasnt even the backup until Price got hurt. Is the whole proccess of spending a second to double check to make sure that youre actually even right before you post something as a fact a dead practice here?

I did correct it, I said Price did it with Tokarski.
In case you missed the point Price has been lauded as this great goaltender when he is interchangeable with about 6-8 premier level goalies most of which have a better playoff pedigree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad