Seravalli: Price of Brandon Hagel “ 1st, Top Prospect + Another Asset”

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
OK so here we go again. Chairot ask is a 1st + a good prospect. So the hater poster started the race to the worst offer. " no way he gets a 1st" then no way he gets a 2nd, then no way we want an old broken down can't skate cant shoot, cant defend ANYTHING player, in fact you will have to PAY ME to take him off your books. All that took about 2 weeks. Now here comes Hagel, ask is 1st+good prospect +. SO now the hater fans have already started. " no way he gets a 1st" next is " no way he gets a 2nd, it becomes a race to the worst offer in history by next week for this broken down, cant skate, cant shoot, cant fight, cant pass the puck, in fact you will have to PAY ME to take this players off your books.

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
OK so here we go again. Chairot ask is a 1st + a good prospect. So the hater poster started the race to the worst offer. " no way he gets a 1st" then no way he gets a 2nd, then no way we want an old broken down can't skate cant shoot, cant defend ANYTHING player, in fact you will have to PAY ME to take him off your books. All that took about 2 weeks. Now here comes Hagel, ask is 1st+good prospect +. SO now the hater fans have already started. " no way he gets a 1st" next is " no way he gets a 2nd, it becomes a race to the worst offer in history by next week for this broken down, cant skate, cant shoot, cant fight, cant pass the puck, in fact you will have to PAY ME to take this players off your books.

Very well summed up ✌

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I think Chicago put this out there because they don't want to move Hagel, but if a team gets desperate enough and pays the overpayment, the Hawks will let him go in trade.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I think Chicago put this out there because they don't want to move Hagel, but if a team gets desperate enough and pays the overpayment, the Hawks will let him go in trade.

There are 4 teams who are interested in Hagel new jersey, Toronto and they n didn't mention the other 2....

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
There are 4 teams who are interested in Hagel new jersey, Toronto and they n didn't mention the other 2....
Interest is one thing, over paying is another. I think Hagel is an excellent young player but from the leafs the most id send is 2022 1st, Amirov/ Robertson, and holl or Dermott to balance cap. Most Leaf fans wouldn't even want to send what I posted but I guess we will see what happens.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Carolina's almost certainly one of them. It's a perfect storm of circumstances for a pickup by those folks. Two more seasons remaining, relatively low cap hit, can play an aggressive, playoff-ready game, AND can actually play an offensive game. That's almost note-for-note in what the Canes want in a trade pickup.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Carolina's almost certainly one of them. It's a perfect storm of circumstances for a pickup by those folks. Two more seasons remaining, relatively low cap hit, can play an aggressive, playoff-ready game, AND can actually play an offensive game. That's almost note-for-note in what the Canes want in a trade pickup.
Hagel would fit on every playoff team. The question is which team comes closest to the asking price.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm kind of skeptical of a 23 year old player with 44 career points being on the auction block for a first round pick and other assets. Seems unprecedented.

I'd ask my pro scouts for a more low key option.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Blackhawks are a tire fire.

Anybody who thinks Brandon friggin Hagel is off limits for trading is fooling themselves.

This team is five years away from being decent, not even a playoff contender and some guy who would be a third liner on a deep team is “off limits”?

El-oh-el

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Interest is one thing, over paying is another. I think Hagel is an excellent young player but from the leafs the most id send is 2022 1st, Amirov/ Robertson, and holl or Dermott to balance cap. Most Leaf fans wouldn't even want to send what I posted but I guess we will see what happens.

Well if Chicago ends up trading Hagel it will come down to what both teams feel is best for there futures. Honestly I'd rather see Chicago move Hagel to new jersey only because there 1st round pick is alot higher than Toronto,

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Well if Chicago ends up trading Hagel it will come down to what both teams feel is best for there futures. Honestly I'd rather see Chicago move Hagel to new jersey only because there 1st round pick is alot higher than Toronto,
Jersey would be foolish to trade their first for Hagel especially at the deadline. If its an offseason trade he only has 2 years left and his value diminishes relative to the lost year. Dont see any team outside of the playoffs offering more then a contender.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

Bingo you totally understand Hagel value and upside. Most people think a 1st for him and a high prospect is over paying. The kid is 23 signed for 2 more years cap friendly deal and can play up and down the line up and has offensive talent , could he eventually become more offensively productive? Yes at 23 his numbers are positive and something every team would hope for in there young prospects

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Jersey would be foolish to trade their first for Hagel especially at the deadline. If its an offseason trade he only has 2 years left and his value diminishes relative to the lost year. Dont see any team outside of the playoffs offering more then a contender.

Just my opinion but new jersey has had a couple of good years building youth and Hagel at 23 and productive and on a friendly deal Imo would benefit them moreso than a unknown pick or prospect....

Look at dach or kapo both drafted 2nd and 3rd and there in there 3rd year and comparing Hagel production to there he has exceeded expectations only playing 98 games with 54 points ...

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Anybody who thinks Brandon friggin Hagel is off limits for trading is fooling themselves.

This team is five years away from being decent, not even a playoff contender and some guy who would be a third liner on a deep team is “off limits”?

El-oh-el
Well, if someone is willing to pay anything close to the 'ask" then of course he is available.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

El-oh-el

Bingo. Stan decimated this teams youth once he took over and his last name protected him for way to long . He made everyone believe he was some genius with the salary cap , knowingly handing out bad contracts or salaries, to then turn around and move those contracts with promising talent tevo , danault, and 1st rounds picks.... it took chicago from 2000 to 2008/09 season to turn things around ....

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
People in this thread really seemed to forget Ryan Hartman brought in a 1st round pick for the Blackhawks in 2018 for very much the same reasons. And he was in more or less all regards a weaker player. So it's not like this asking price is some kind of unprecedented nonsense. Yes, it's steep but some teams might be willing to pay it.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
People in this thread really seemed to forget Ryan Hartman brought in a 1st round pick for the Blackhawks in 2018 for very much the same reasons. And he was in more or less all regards a weaker player. So it's not like this asking price is some kind of unprecedented nonsense. Yes, it's steep but some teams might be willing to pay it.

And the following year Hartman was traded for a washed Wayne Simmonds.

Chicago trades one of these middle-six forwards every couple years. Versteeg, Shaw, Hartman, Schmaltz etc. They usually play them with Kane and/or Toews to inflate their numbers and then sell high. I appreciate the hustle and wish my team would do this more often with the middle-six forwards (Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown etc.) they produce. But it's a steep price for the sort of player that every team has.

If they can keep the grift going good on them, I just hope my team doesn't fall for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad