Seravalli: Price of Brandon Hagel “ 1st, Top Prospect + Another Asset”

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He's the sort of guy every contender wants...and he's pacing for ~25 goals and ~50 points. Considering he's 23 and they have zero pressing incentive to move him, Chicago can obviously ask for whatever they want. Contenders have probably have come offering a 1st+, because why wouldn't they, so Chicago will ask for the + to be a top prospect. If they're willing to move Hagel, they'll quibble and negotiate down over what constitutes a top prospect.

Doesn't seem that surprising to me...

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Well at that price the "why not just keep him" argument doesn't make sense, but that seems steep. He's young, cheap, and has time left, but he's been given good line mates and an offensive role this year. Is he still ascending or is this a best case scenario for him?

Bruhin

Sep 22, 2018
Edmonton
upload_2022-2-14_13-29-21.gif

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He is cost controlled at a bargain for 1.5M/year for two more seasons after this one, and an excellent player. Why wouldn't it be a 1st round pick at minimum? If you're a contender with a hole in your middle 6 forwards, you jump on that.
I think some people in this thread don't know who the guy is...he's basically the ideal third liner for any contender looking to fill out their forward group. He's built on last year well offensively. And he's just 23 and signed for 2.5 more years at 1.5 million, which, given the cap situation most contenders are in right now with the flat cap, is invaluable. And when it expires, he'll still be an RFA. So yeah, the ask is obviously a 1st+

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Almost guaranteed that one of the teams that offered that was Toronto. They'll be penny-pinching moving forward and a guy like Hagel who can click with skill forwards is a value option at $1.5m over the next two and a half seasons.

If you caught the podcast they tried to fit him in the discussion comparing guys to Coleman and Goodrow. I don't think that he really fits that mold.
So Nick Paul is worth the same then.
Paul is definitely worth a 1st. Different circumstances though. Paul is an impending UFA. He's also a significantly better all-around player.

How likely do you think it is Girgensons gets moved?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hagel is on pace for 50+ points, is only 23 and is signed for two more years at a steal of a salary at 1.5M.

That's what I'd ask for too.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
my first reaction was "who the hell is Brandon Hagel?" like I've heard the name before but I don't know this what this player should be known for other than this tweet. Is he like this year's version of the Barclay Goodrow trade which I laughed at but then Goodrow made me eat crow? Twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad