HF Habs: Press Conference 15pm

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I can see MB dangling Galchenyuk for the top pick. NJD have sucked bad for a while. They need immediate help and a 22 year old 30 goal scorer would be enticing. I think the Habs have mismanaged this kid so badly that he needs a fresh start. Galchenyuk is exactly how you don't develop a young player.

I don't think Galchenyuk has that much value around the league, he didn't even get picked for the U23 World Cup team which isn't a good sign.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I can see MB dangling Galchenyuk for the top pick. NJD have sucked bad for a while. They need immediate help and a 22 year old 30 goal scorer would be enticing. I think the Habs have mismanaged this kid so badly that he needs a fresh start. Galchenyuk is exactly how you don't develop a young player.

how hot is Texas my friend

But I dont think Montreal did bad with galchenyuk at all , he started on the third line with gallagher at 18 and went better every years forward.

I think his injury of last season was not 100% healed and he cameback 2 fast. Also Galchy as a center is really risky because hes not really good in def and hes horrible in faceoffs. Say what you want but u cant blame MTL for Galchy Faceoffs %. Club did tons of practice in the middle during practice. You cant use Galchy as a center with 45sec left in ur zone to win a faceoff. It's just impossible at this point.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

You cannot know either way, but one thing we can agree on, Sly has not produced much of anything, and sitting a young player in the press box for 3 months doesn't help him do squat.

Not sure it's his job to 'produce' players...again, I don't agree with the notion that players go to the AHL, a coach grabs a hold of them and turns them into an NHL player or even an NHL star.

That's not quite how it works.

Can a coach help a player become better? Sure...but guys like Leblanc & Tinordi moved on to other organizations and have never established themselves as NHL players, even if they got coached by other AHL coaches.
I think Leblanc could have become a decent bottom 6 guy. I think Beaulieu should have unquestionably become a top 4. Tinordi I don't think would have been able to keep up.

Curious what makes you think Leblanc could of become a decent bottom 6 guy? If that was the case, why didn't he become one in Anaheim? They've graduated a ton a of players to the NHL from their American league affiliate.

Beaulieu was drafted as a top 4...he's never been able to establish himself as one, but he's at least a regular (somewhat) NHL dman. That's a win if you ask me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The logic here is that after the top 10 it's pretty much a crapshoot...

I would rather have more chances to hit something than put all my eggs in one basket.

I said the Habs have ammunition IF they identify a player in the top 5-10 that they think is worth trading up for.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
With Beaulieu now gone is there anyone left on the Habs roster that Lefebvre has "developed" during his 5 years in the AHL? I imagine someone defending Lefebvre will count Gally's 36 games in Hamilton as being developed by Lefebvre. :)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Lebust was rushed into the NHL. never a great skater, it didn't look like he ever had his heart in playing. couldn't turn it around in anaheim or Europe. retired very young leads me to believe he didn't like playing hockey all that much

Leblanc was as weak mentally as he was physically......reminds me of Esposito

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
With Beaulieu now gone is there anyone left on the Habs roster that Lefebvre has "developed" during his 5 years in the AHL? I imagine someone defending Lefebvre will count Gally's 36 games in Hamilton as being developed by Lefebvre. :)

No, no one. The thing is, the first draft with Bergevin regime is 2012 (Hudon's draft).

We will finally know if the draft and development are better than before but I don't think it is.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That when you trade up you can get a Karlsson or you can get a Tinordi. I thought it was clear?

You thought wrong....but thanks for clarifying

Moving up in the draft doesn't guarantee you a successful player, it just guarantees you that the player you want you are getting.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Thanks for coming out...these are usually the posts that disappear aren't they??

Leblanc was the BPA are you joking? Where is he now? :shakehead

What is with everyone thinking Leblanc was a bad draft pick when in reality he was indeed the BPA.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009-NHL-Mock-Draft/

Ok he busted, but I remember that draft in Montreal. I remember watching him progress every year since he was drafted. He looked pretty good in his debut AHL season. Everything hit a wall when Lefebvre took over. Who's fault? I don't care. Leblanc looked like a promising NHLer until his 22nd bday and we all know what came next.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Leblanc was as weak mentally as he was physically......reminds me of Esposito

Agreed...not every player drafted is destined to become an NHL player.

This notion that we're drafting NHL caliber players with all of our picks until the big bad wolf Sylvain Lefebvre gets a hold of them and destroys them, isn't very well developed IMO.

And that's not even to say that he, SL, needs to go.

Because he absolutely should

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Ah yes. Those mentally weak Harvard students.

Probably just not an inspired player.

Ahhhh.....wonder if every Harvard student is ready to do a 6 month tour in Afghanistan.....I mean, they're smart, shouldn't be an issue.

Being mentally strong and being educated is 2 different things

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What is with everyone thinking Leblanc was a bad draft pick when in reality he was indeed the BPA.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2009-NHL-Mock-Draft/

Ok he busted, but I remember that draft in Montreal. I remember watching him progress every year since he was drafted. He looked pretty good in his debut AHL season. Everything hit a wall when Lefebvre took over. Who's fault? I don't care. Leblanc looked like a promising NHLer until his 22nd bday and we all know what came next.

Maybe, no matter who was going to coach him in the AHL...

His career path was to top out as a decent AHL player

Maybe that's just what he was/is

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ahhhh.....wonder if every Harvard student is ready to do a 6 month tour in Afghanistan.....I mean, they're smart, shouldn't be an issue.

Being mentally strong and being educated is 2 different things

Lol he's playing hockey not being shot at.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
how hot is Texas my friend

But I dont think Montreal did bad with galchenyuk at all , he started on the third line with gallagher at 18 and went better every years forward.

I think his injury of last season was not 100% healed and he cameback 2 fast. Also Galchy as a center is really risky because hes not really good in def and hes horrible in faceoffs. Say what you want but u cant blame MTL for Galchy Faceoffs %. Club did tons of practice in the middle during practice. You cant use Galchy as a center with 45sec left in ur zone to win a faceoff. It's just impossible at this point.

Yeah it's slightly warm but I love the heat!

I think the mismanagement was mostly in year 5. I still believe his trade value is very high and he needs a fresh start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad