HF Habs: Press Conference 15pm

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Yeah it's slightly warm but I love the heat!

I think the mismanagement was mostly in year 5. I still believe his trade value is very high and he needs a fresh start.

oh his trade value should be more than high

he probably needs a fresh start but trading him fast would be stupid.

We need 1- to get a really good center for him or a top2 pair def for him.

Im pretty sure he can score 30 goals again.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Teams wouldn't be calling and asking about him if he didn't have value. He's a young, American kid that has scored 30 goals in the past.

Many teams are calling because they likely feel they can buy low and rip MB off on a 23 year old offensive player who scored 30 goals just 2 seasons ago. I really hope MB values Galchenyuk more than what some on this board do.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With Beaulieu now gone is there anyone left on the Habs roster that Lefebvre has "developed" during his 5 years in the AHL? I imagine someone defending Lefebvre will count Gally's 36 games in Hamilton as being developed by Lefebvre. :)

How many prospects that played here under Lefebvre left and succeeded elsewhere? Asking a legit question. Only one who comes to the top of my head would be Andrighetto but it was basically a 15-20 game stretch so who knows how he'll do next year.

We've had lots of trash in the AHL the last few years, our drafting has been bad and on top of it we've had development issues.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Maybe, no matter who was going to coach him in the AHL...

His career path was to top out as a decent AHL player

Maybe that's just what he was/is

Absolutely. I have no more information then anyone. But for some to think that at the time he was drafted, that he wasn't the BPA is simply absurd.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How many prospects that played here under Lefebvre left and succeeded elsewhere? Asking a legit question. Only one who comes to the top of my head would be Andrighetto but it was basically a 15-20 game stretch so who knows how he'll do next year.

We've had lots of trash in the AHL the last few years, our drafting has been bad and on top of it we've had development issues.

If Lernout, Scherbak and DLR pan out I will give SL a pass.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
MB thoughts on Drouin @ center "I wouldn't rule it out but i'm not sure right now, it's a very demanding position and you need to play a 200 foot game"

Well that's soothing to say the least. They haven't gone full crazy.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not sure it's his job to 'produce' players...
Of course it is. His job is to prepare the prospects in order for them to make the jump. If pretty much none are able to make the jump, then sure, blame drafting. But if that still applies 5 years into it, sorry, development takes a big chunk of the blame too.

again, I don't agree with the notion that players go to the AHL, a coach grabs a hold of them and turns them into an NHL player or even an NHL star.

That's not quite how it works.
That coach doesn't take Mr. Joe Schmo from the street and turns him into a NHLer.
He takes talented young players that need to grow their game to make it in the pros. They're coming out of juniors and are now facing full grown man that are bigger, better, more difficult to play against. They need all the help they can get from their coaches to learn how to play at that level.

For some (like say Kristo or Fisher), they have no chance. They'll amount to a regular AHLer at best. Others, they're just so talented (like Subban or Gallagher), you know they'll make it. But there's a grey area between those two categories of some that can make it with hard work and guidance from development team. This idea that we only have had either too crappy or too good players and none that are in that grey area is simply unrealistic.

Can a coach help a player become better? Sure...but guys like Leblanc & Tinordi moved on to other organizations and have never established themselves as NHL players, even if they got coached by other AHL coaches.
Tinordi was a lost case when we moved him. It was too late for him.
Leblanc, I cannot speak as to what happened once he left here. When he was here though, there were obvious issues with Sly, and he clearly had a weak psyche. It doesn't mean he would have failed just as much had Sly taken a different approach.

Curious what makes you think Leblanc could of become a decent bottom 6 guy? If that was the case, why didn't he become one in Anaheim? They've graduated a ton a of players to the NHL from their American league affiliate.

Beaulieu was drafted as a top 4...he's never been able to establish himself as one, but he's at least a regular (somewhat) NHL dman. That's a win if you ask me.

As I said, I cannot speak as to what happened with Leblanc in Anaheim, I have no idea how he was handled there or how his mindset was after leaving.

We failed with Beaulieu. His offensive game improved from just settling down at the NHL level, and getting more opportunities, but his defensive game did very little improvement. When I look at some of our defensive woes over the years, I'm sorry, but man these guys were taught jack ****. You had even guys like Markov looking very sloppy defensively. Everyone out of place, poor positioning in the zone, just a complete mess in our zone.
When I look at how our entire team played defensively, there is nothing surprising as to why the kids coming up don't look like they improve much. We had terrible coaching.

Now, I have more faith in Julien, he has a cerebral approach to the game, which I favor. He just needs to get rid of JJD asap, and we need to get rid of Sly because he's done nothing.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So never in the history of the Montreal Canadiens should we move up in the draft ever again?

I said the Habs have ammunition IF they identify a player in the top 5-10 that they think is worth trading up for.

We're drafting 25th! How do you imagine getting into the top 10? It's not with a couple of late second round picks that you'll get there.

Anyways, my point here is that even if you really like a player it's still a crapshoot and Tinordi was a great example...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lebust was rushed into the NHL. never a great skater, it didn't look like he ever had his heart in playing. couldn't turn it around in anaheim or Europe. retired very young leads me to believe he didn't like playing hockey all that much

Disagree. Leblanc's skating was what impressed me the most when he played with us under Martin.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We're drafting 25th! How do you imagine getting into the top 10? It's not with a couple of late second round picks that you'll get there.

Anyways, my point here is that even if you really like a player it's still a crapshoot and Tinordi was a great example...

I think Erik Karlsson is a way better one

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
LeBlanc was a bad pick. However, it is a development issue that he didn't make it as a 3rd liner based on where he was when he played in the NHL.

Tinordi was a bad pick. It was a development issue that he couldn't become at the least a bottom pairing PKer.

Beaulieu was a good pick. It was a development issue that he did not become a second pairing, second PP unit defenseman in Montreal.

Galchenyuk was a good pick. It has been a development issue at center since they played him at wing and didnt even play him on the wing he scores from the most.

McCarron is an OK pick. It's a development issue that he projects as a fourth liner instead of a 3rs liner now.

I can go on and on. Truth is, if most of your first round picks aren't meeting their FLOOR, you have a developmental problem.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If a team is stupid enough to give 7m-7.5m for 7 years to Radulov. Have fun after 3 years.

I'd do it. We need to win right now. We need Radulov. No one else is on the market who is even close to as good.

Besides there will be a lockout soon and things will change ... again. Perhaps compliance buyouts... but even if not we're ****ed in 3 years and we'll be rebuilding. You frontload the deal as much as the CBA will allow, with signature bonuses and you'll be able to unload a bad deal to a team like the yotes or whatever.

No worries. Play the game the way top teams do it or go home with your tail between your legs hanging your head in shame.

If MB lets Radulov walk, he better have some insane trades up his sleeves.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Hmmmm.....I'm talking about moving up, not exclusively moving up in the top 10, I must've missed a few posts then.

you're right, it is a crapshoot, but if you really like a player and you did your homework, you gotta go for it.

Obviously the price must be right....

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
how hot is Texas my friend

But I dont think Montreal did bad with galchenyuk at all , he started on the third line with gallagher at 18 and went better every years forward.

I think his injury of last season was not 100% healed and he cameback 2 fast. Also Galchy as a center is really risky because hes not really good in def and hes horrible in faceoffs. Say what you want but u cant blame MTL for Galchy Faceoffs %. Club did tons of practice in the middle during practice. You cant use Galchy as a center with 45sec left in ur zone to win a faceoff. It's just impossible at this point.

How hot is Texas? Wear gloves when you open the door of your parked car in the summertime. I didn't have gloves when I was in a Dallas suburb, so I used a towel to avoid blisters. Houston has a subtropical climate and can be hot and humid.

I know, I didn't respond to the comment about Galchenyuk. Like everyone else, I'm waiting for an announcement.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Of course it is. His job is to prepare the prospects in order for them to make the jump. If pretty much none are able to make the jump, then sure, blame drafting. But if that still applies 5 years into it, sorry, development takes a big chunk of the blame too.

Prepare? or Produce?

Don't want to get into a debate over semantics...but there's a difference here. I agree it's the coaches job to 'prepare' players to graduate, usually by engraining the system they play in the NHL, preparing them for life as a pro (eating habits, travel, etc).

But 'producing' players? I disagree

The NHL draft is what's supposed to 'produce' NHL players...The people responsible for drafting are mandated with identifying players who project to be NHL players.
That coach doesn't take Mr. Joe Schmo from the street and turns him into a NHLer.
He takes talented young players that need to grow their game to make it in the pros. They're coming out of juniors and are now facing full grown man that are bigger, better, more difficult to play against. They need all the help they can get from their coaches to learn how to play at that level.

Precisely...but if those players don't have NHL talent, it doesn't matter if his name is Scotty Bowman, they're not going to become NHL players.
For some, they have no chance. They'll amount to a regular AHLer at best. Others, they're just so talented, you know they'll make it. But there's a grey area between those two categories of some that can make it with hard work and guidance from development team. This idea that we only have had either too crappy or too good players and none that are in that grey area is simply unrealistic.

Sure this is fair. There are exceptions, guys who are overachievers and get with the right coach and make it through. Agree here, but those are few and far between.

We're talking about the Mathieu Darche's of this world.

Tinordi was a lost case when we moved him. It was too late for him.
Leblanc, I cannot speak as to what happened once he left here. When he was here though, there were obvious issues with Sly, and he clearly had a weak psyche. It doesn't mean he would have failed just as much had Sly taken a different approach

Normally, I would agree with this, however...

Jacques Martin saw the same thing, the Ducks saw the same thing, their AHL affiliate saw the same thing, his KHL team saw the same thing, the Slovak team he played for saw the same thing, and the swiss team he last played for, saw the same thing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You can't say: LOOK X busted here after

Their critical developmental years were in our hands. If I treat the engine of a car like ****, then put new oil in it at 200k kilometers, am I going to say the car was always a piece of **** when the engine continues to fail?

It was because of how it was treated from day one

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Normally, I would agree with this, however...

Jacques Martin saw the same thing, the Ducks saw the same thing, their AHL affiliate saw the same thing, his KHL team saw the same thing, the Slovak team he played for saw the same thing, and the swiss team he last played for, saw the same thing.

Which was what? I saw Leblanc get a high ankle sprain and then his skating took a ditch for the worst with some hysteric girlfriend complaining about elastics. I wonder how much of this weighted on his career.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
LeBlanc was a bad pick. However, it is a development issue that he didn't make it as a 3rd liner based on where he was when he played in the NHL.

Tinordi was a bad pick. It was a development issue that he couldn't become at the least a bottom pairing PKer.

Beaulieu was a good pick. It was a development issue that he did not become a second pairing, second PP unit defenseman in Montreal.

Galchenyuk was a good pick. It has been a development issue at center since they played him at wing and didnt even play him on the wing he scores from the most.

McCarron is an OK pick. It's a development issue that he projects as a fourth liner instead of a 3rs liner now.

I can go on and on. Truth is, if most of your first round picks aren't meeting their FLOOR, you have a developmental problem.

Too bad the Habs have another 25th pick. They've been in that position before (bottom of the 1st round) and came up with McCarron, Scherbak, and Juulsen. They were able to pick Sergachev with the 9th pick. Unfortunately, having a top 10 pick usually means you weren't in the playoffs.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The problem with the past picks is the development.

The players they've picked with higher end skating have been much better. The problem is, they've continuously picked players that lack skating skills stating that they can work on it.

McCarron
Galchenyuk
Tinordi
Scherbak
De La Rose

All lack high end skating. Galchenyuk; however, has elite level puck skills which compensates for his skating. The others, not so much.

Beaulieu is a hell of a skater though, and is a solid NHL player. I guess I just think development is a massive part, but the way the game is played now, the biggest asset in an organization is the ability to skate at high speeds and play at that pace.\

Higher end skating

Beaulieu
Lehkonen
Sergachev

Looking at the draft list though, there doesn't appear to be any method to it. Although, last year I think could be a good draft as Mete and Bitten are good skaters with good puck skills. We'll have to see though.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
After listening to Bergy I doubt Drouin plays center...

I just don't understand how he signed Drouin to that contract in about 1 hour flat yet he won't give Galchy the same deal. They are almost identical at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->