GDT: PreSeason Game 7: Red Wings at toronto 7:00 pm et 10/5/23 espn+

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I once had such high hopes for McIsaac. Really high. Thought he was going to be a Brad Stuart kinda player, top 4 D. Injuries absolutely killed his development. He‘s a career AHL‘er but I wonder if he could’ve been more if not for the injuries.

I used to think the same thing but I wonder if he just never really had ‘it’. Just another no brained defenseman that Holland seemed to love drafting.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Danielson could be better than Larkin in a few years and I am excited to watch him develop.

Kasper looks like a bottom 6 guy and even though I didn’t have high expectations he’s not looking good.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Danielson could be better than Larkin in a few years and I am excited to watch him develop.

Kasper looks like a bottom 6 guy and even though I didn’t have high expectations he’s not looking good.
Sometimes it takes younger European players a little bit to get acclimated to the smaller ice... patience, he just turned 19 in April.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Really curious to see your roster decisions. I'm assuming the majority of them will happen tomorrow.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

He lost summer after his injury, so take it easy, he never projected top line, mid 6 power forward center . Guys like him much better during playoffs then regular season. He still was a good pick at 6

I used to think the same thing but I wonder if he just never really had ‘it’. Just another no brained defenseman that Holland seemed to love drafting.
At the draft he was safe pick

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He lost summer after his injury, so take it easy, he never projected top line, mid 6 power forward center . Guys like him much better during playoffs then regular season. He still was a good pick at 6

At the draft he was safe pick
I know he was never supposed to be a top line guy, though some here have thought it could happen. But, even with the injury as something holding him back, I don’t see the instincts. I still see a guy whose going to be a bottom 6 center and lucky to ever hit over 40 points. I think he’s Yzermans only true first round mistake since coming to Detroit and got cowed by the fact he’s very likely to be an NHL player instead of looking at the fact his ceiling isn’t good.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I know he was never supposed to be a top line guy, though some here have thought it could happen. But, even with the injury as something holding him back, I don’t see the instincts. I still see a guy who’s going to be a bottom 6 center and lucky to ever hit over 40 points. I think he’s Yzermans only true first round mistake since coming to Detroit and got cowed by the fact he’s very likely to be an NHL player instead of looking at the fact his ceiling isn’t good.

The kid was literally drafted June 2022. He just had a terrific season in Sweden at 18 and you’re already declaring him a bust in the preseason of 2023. You don’t think you’re being too hasty here?

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Good effort but as soon as I saw Chiarot on the 3 on 3 I knew the game was over. Ed should have been on. Oh well, pre-season and all that.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The kid was literally drafted June 2022. He just had a terrific season in Sweden at 18 and you’re already declaring him a bust in the preseason of 2023. You don’t think you’re being too hasty here?
In general, this board lives and breathes on hot takes from small sample sizes.

AA deserves more ice time.
Danielson is the next Bergeron.
Kasper is Helm without hands.
Abdelkader signed a bad contract.

OK, maybe that last one wasn't so hasty, but you get the idea. :D

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

I always thought of him as your typical 6th-7th physical D who at best would become a secondary special teams guy. Maybe he develops that still but he's kinda getting buried behind depth atm so I doubt it.

Is he even ahead of guys like Toumisto, Viro, Buium and Pelikka now?

There is always going to be doomsday fans.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Recency bias, maybe, but Danielson is possibly our number one prospect.

What really impressed me was that he was sent out on 5-on-3 and did great against one of the best PPs in the league.

He impressed the Leafs announcers too. Paraphrasing, " Here's Danielson, 19, going on 29"

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He impressed the Leafs announcers too. Paraphrasing, " Here's Danielson, 19, going on 29"
Some of us may be too young to remember these, but they should make a Danielson jersey with the 1 rolling to a 2. :laugh:

rolling-odometer-1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: RRhoads

flychairman

May 23, 2023
Keep Ed and three goalies.

Send Reimer or Lyon on a two-week AHL conditioning stint when needing extra work weeks from now.

Waive Ben C by Monday. He will clear.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Soderblom is frustrating to me. He could stand to win a shit ton more battles if he skated harder and took an extra stride or two and got both of his hands on the stick and use his size as leverage. Many times he's playing like he's 9 inches shorter and that will be a problem.

The talent is apparent, but there's not enough hustle and he's falling behind in the play. Is it just me?
That is probably my only grip one him. When he loses the puck or is trying to steal it, he always extends with one arm out to try and get it back. He has a large enough reach that he could just use two hands and take one stride to make up the difference while being 100% stronger on the check.

Needs to learn this fast and someone needs to be telling him this in that locker room.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Sometimes it takes younger European players a little bit to get acclimated to the smaller ice... patience, he just turned 19 in April.
That is the one major difference that seems to be the largest factor: euro ice vs NA ice.

Danielson knows that he has no room to do anything because he has been playing that way his entire life, while Kasper has always enjoyed space, just the nature of two continents. That's probably why Zadina Zadina'd, pulkinnen pulk'd, and whoever else.

I wonder if Stevie and them have been putting more weight into NA ice-time vs Euro in this regard. It's like in college football vs NFL QB's. Anyone can throw a bomb down field to an open receiver streaking (or being lightly covered). The time you know they are going to be a great NFL QB is if they are throwing in tight windows for completions (or should be completions if the WR is capable). I am sure they have thought of this, obviously, just curious if they put more weight in the category than others.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I always thought of him as your typical 6th-7th physical D who at best would become a secondary special teams guy. Maybe he develops that still but he's kinda getting buried behind depth atm so I doubt it.

Is he even ahead of guys like Toumisto, Viro, Buium and Pelikka now?
I dont see him ahead of tuo or viro. Buium maybe but ASP seems to be our makar/karlsson-lite the way his highlights have been coming out the past few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad