GDT: Preseason Game #6 - Edm @ Seattle 8PM MST - Streaming on Oilers +

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
According to the mainboard, Gleason has already been sent down, so you guys can stop debating it and move into the "woe is management" phase.

As for Desharnais getting killed in the playoffs, that's just not factually true. He was on the ice for more goals for than goals against. That's how hockey is won or lost.

If you want to say there were some real rough patches, where his weaknesses were exposed, that's certainly true. Nobody could argue with that... but focusing only on that would ignore the contributions that he did make in his FIRST playoff.

There was a great article going through his numbers and the qualitative last week in the Athletic. I'll dig it up if I can, but it's behind a paywall.
He was -3 so he was on the ice for 3 more goals against than scored and this is only at 13 minutes a game and just visually he was overwhelmed in the L.A. series especially, made some egregious errors under pressure and lacked the footspeed to keep up but at least he wasn't the worst Dman in the Vegas series, that would be Nurse or Ceci, take your pick.

The Oilers might have the slowest right side D in the league, it's a problem in the playoffs when speed ramps up.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
According to the mainboard, Gleason has already been sent down, so you guys can stop debating it and move into the "woe is management" phase.

As for Desharnais getting killed in the playoffs, that's just not factually true. He was on the ice for more goals for than goals against. That's how hockey is won or lost.

If you want to say there were some real rough patches, where his weaknesses were exposed, that's certainly true. Nobody could argue with that... but focusing only on that would ignore the contributions that he did make in his FIRST playoff.

There was a great article going through his numbers and the qualitative last week in the Athletic. I'll dig it up if I can, but it's behind a paywall.

I don't understand how the knives have suddenly turned on him. Concur with everything you said.

Sadly it seems to be part of Oiler fan tradition to shit on a bottom of the lineup players because they're mad that management didn't find someone way better than them instead.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I don't understand how the knives have suddenly turned on him. Concur with everything you said.

Sadly it seems to be part of Oiler fan tradition to shit on a bottom of the lineup players because they're mad that management didn't find someone way better than them instead.
The key word in this post is (turn)ed.

I like Desi's attitude, like what he DOES bring, but he was exposed. He needs to work everyday to get better especially on his turns and gap control. I think management is on his side. He will get till the deadline at least. Here's hoping. Really be best for his development if we could make him a number 7 now.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the pre-season has been pretty much "on script." Some of the thoughts posters had heading into September:

-Holloway would be a year older and make the team
-Lavoie would show just enough to make the big club in part because of his waiver status.
-The X-man would be improved but would still be a year away
-Broberg would not overwhelm but probably stick at the #6 D spot
-Campbell would bounce back
-A few other guys would show the club some stuff but would all be sent down to Bako since vitrually all would pass waivers.

So far, check marks all around?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Classic Oilers, keeping the plugs and sending down the players showing up.

An organization stuck in generation old and never knowing what it really has.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

For me its because he's a loose cannon. He lost his shit towards end of one game and it seems something that can happen any time with him. Theres a line between being physical and taking major penalties for losing it. Didn't like how he went overboard in playoffs and he's done it already in preseason cross checking somebody in the face. he's got a rep already and the shit will be called. he doesn't walk the line well, he doesn't know where the line is. Its too bad. Some of his actual play can be useful, and he can be a piece. But he has to get some control over his extracurricular stuff.

Lastly official don't like being raged at. Do that once and the officials take notes. just human nature.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
For me its because he's a loose cannon. He lost his shit towards end of one game and it seems something that can happen any time with him. Theres a line between being physical and taking major penalties for losing it. Didn't like how he went overboard in playoffs and he's done it already in preseason cross checking somebody in the face. he's got a rep already and the shit will be called. he doesn't walk the line well, he doesn't know where the line is. Its too bad. Some of his actual play can be useful, and he can be a piece. But he has to get some control over his extracurricular stuff.

Lastly official don't like being raged at. Do that once and the officials take notes. just human nature.

I've never even really noticed this as a feature of his game at all and I struggle to think of examples of him going overboard other than the pre-season thing that doesn't really matter (and people are allowed to blow up here and there, can be a good thing in the long run).

He struggled in the playoffs, bad penalties (mostly obstruction/stick) at times included, but I'm not sure where the "loose cannon" reputation is coming from. He only took three roughing penalties from January - April last year and one in the playoffs.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think we need to slow down on Ben Gleason. Fans are getting way too excited about an older player.

I hope I am wrong butGleason is 25 years old. Why are we finding it so impressive for a 25 year old to dominate a preseason? So many players that have gone through our system have done it and have ended up doing squat in the NHL.

He's been good but this is also his 7th NHL camp/preseason

He also can't handle a hockey puck.

Sounds a lot like Ty Rattie. I do think Gleason is a better #7 than Desharnais
Then why is an even older Desharnais struggling and look like shit. If it’s not impressive for a 25 year old to look great in preseason then it should definitely be awful for a 27 year old to look like shit.

Reactions: Duke74

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think the pre-season has been pretty much "on script." Some of the thoughts posters had heading into September:

-Holloway would be a year older and make the team
-Lavoie would show just enough to make the big club in part because of his waiver status.
-The X-man would be improved but would still be a year away
-Broberg would not overwhelm but probably stick at the #6 D spot
-Campbell would bounce back
-A few other guys would show the club some stuff but would all be sent down to Bako since vitrually all would pass waivers.

So far, check marks all around?
Yeah, exactly.

I don't know what some people were expecting? Was Raph supposed to look the next Brett Hull teeing up one timers non stop? I think he's been fine. We all forget he missed the NHL camp last season with a knee injury.

Glad to see Soupy dialed in.

Very pleased with Ben Gleason, never heard the name before and I call him Tim from time to time, but very comfortable with him getting a call up if needed.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

That’s not losing your shit that’s old school gamesmanship. We open the season with a home and home against the canucks and that was the last time we were going to see them before those games. I love that he did that and I bet the coaches did too.

Then why is an even older Desharnais struggling and look like shit. If it’s not impressive for a 25 year old to look great in preseason then it should definitely be awful for a 27 year old to look like shit.
He doesn’t look like shit though. He’s +3 second best of all D men and has played the most games of any D man. He’s also crushing it on the pk again. Unless your evaluating him on his puck handling skills and skating ability he’s been exactly what we want in our #6 slot.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Just chiming in after a long day but I just have to put my 2 cents in, Desharnais has no place on a Stanley cup contender. He got exposed time after time in the playoffs. Can’t defend the rush as he can’t maintain proper gap and fast forwards go right by him. Sure he can hit and clear the front of the net but the moment he’s anywhere else on the ice he’s a liability.

But who knows maybe he’s drastically improved after 1 summer

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Desharnais has a whopping 36 regular season games to his name at age 27 without a goal and 5 whole assists. He plays less than 10 minutes a night and cant pass the puck to our superstars.

Add in that hes a UFA at the end of the season and i'm not losing any sleep if we lose him on waivers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That’s not losing your shit that’s old school gamesmanship. We open the season with a home and home against the canucks and that was the last time we were going to see them before those games. I love that he did that and I bet the coaches did too.

He doesn’t look like shit though. He’s +3 second best of all D men and has played the most games of any D man. He’s also crushing it on the pk again. Unless your evaluating him on his puck handling skills and skating ability he’s been exactly what we want in our #6 slot.
Desharnais doesn’t have the base level puck handling skills to have a place in a playoff teams defence.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Desharnais doesn’t have the base level puck handling skills to have a place in a playoff teams defence.
As long as we keep out scoring the crap out of the team when he’s out there i don’t think anyone who makes real decisions cares. The value he brings in our zone 5 on 5 and on the PK is something we need more than another guy who can skate nice and handle the puck.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As long as we keep out scoring the crap out of the team when he’s out there i don’t think anyone who makes real decisions cares. The value he brings in our zone 5 on 5 and on the PK is something we need more than another guy who can skate nice and handle the puck.
He was decent in the regular season but was awful in the playoffs.
Has the worst GA rates, the worst GF% rates. His advanced metrics were fine, quite sheltered though but he was constantly making glaring mistakes. At 27 I don’t really see him improving all that much. I think he is…fine as the #6 but with how awful his skating is and how he can’t puck handle for shit, he is a detriment to the team in the playoffs. You don’t have to be good at puck handling, just average…and he isn’t.

Definitely need to upgrade on him at the deadline.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I don’t know how Desharnais in the playoffs being on for 5 GF all strengths and then 12 GA is more for than against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad