GDT: Preseason Game #3 - Edmonton vs Vancouver - The Brown Arrival 7pm MST - SN

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

giphy.gif

Reactions: mkatcherin00

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure why some are down on Kane's game? Seems to me like his hands are better now than they were before his injury early last season. He is passing better now IMO. Maybe not back to where he was when he came here the season before but I saw promising signs compared to the end of last season.

Agreed, I thought he looked good for the most part.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drai can look lazy out there, i think everyone knows that. Not that it matters because he can look lazy and uninterested and then pop 3 points by the end of the game. Drai was flying last night though, moving around the ice like a cat stalking a mouse.
This worries me more than anything because its wasted effort and there will always be a finite gas tank with a power forward. The last thing I want to see is Drai busting his butt out there in September.

Its odd too because Drai has even stated that he likes to start slower, to ease his way back into his game to avoid injury after it being offseason. So that this is curious.

I'll always check the bolded. Predators lie in the weeds. Does it look lazy? Some of what they do is to disappear at times only to jump and pounce at opportunity. Mark Messier was exactly the same in that regard. Many counter rush players are.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The crest is not a target. See in your mind the space outside and try to predict where its going to be.
Some of that might be rust. IMO last year his passing was shit, his playmaking looks way better and the finish will come in time.

Reactions: Duke74

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This worries me more than anything because its wasted effort and there will always be a finite gastank with a power forward. The last thing I want to see is Drai busting his butt out there in September.
Most people have no clue how much harder it is for big players to keep looking "busy". As if all body type's are the same. It's much easier for someone Yamamoto's size to buzz around an entire shift than someone Draisaitl's size for instance.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really liked Ben Gleason's game last night. Good offensive instincts, young enough that there might be a NHL player there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most people have no clue how much harder it is for big players to keep looking "busy". As if all body type's are the same. It's much easier for someone Yamamoto's size to buzz around an entire shift than someone Draisaitl's size for instance.
Yep. Look at my post on the previous page. Big power forward frame is different to move around. Drai has best in world edge and first stride generation for what his weight and size is. He's running some monster strength through those legs and core but like George Foreman theres going to be punching out. Physiologically the energy store and ability to move that hulk is finite. That isn't laziness, its hitting physiological walls at times.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Brown reminded me of a slightly smaller and maybe slightly quicker version of Hyman. I think that he will be more than fine here, hopefully he finishes more chances than our previous top 6 RW's. I'd say that Brown had a better game than Hyman did.

I think Hyman vs Brown

Hyman
Pros
- Bigger body
- Better infront of the net
- Protects puck better
- Probably a better motor than Brown (although Brown's is good)?
Cons
- Tunnel vision (doesnt use teammates well)
- Poor defensively. I dont think he necessarily is a bad defensive player but he cheats for offense too much

Brown (need to watch him more)
- Better defensively
- Better awareness and anticipation
- Better vision on the ice

Cons
- Smaller body than Hyman
- More of a perimeter player than Hyman
- Will put up less offense

Need to watch Brown more to comment on speed, hands, etc.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I can't lie, I have some reservations about Brown too. Like I think he'll help the team, but it's not like this is a guy that has scored 30 a bunch of times and we're hoping he can find that game. I don't think he's someone that you can just throw on McDavid's wing and expect it to work, he might end up being more valuable playing down the lineup. I think they should be approaching that spot in the lineup with a bit more of an open mind, perhaps giving a rookie a chance there. His career high is 21 goals (granted in a short year), but outside of two seasons he's been pretty pedestrian offensively.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We have alot of wingers who play a similar type game now like Hyman, Kane, Brown, Foegle, and Holloway. Would be nice to mix in some more skill in that forward group with players like Patrick Kane imo.

I think the group also could use wingers with a bit more defensive acumen. I think its why Brown could be a potentially nice fit. Hyman, Kane, Foegele arent great defensive players. Too early to say what Holloway will be. Patrick Kane would obviously bring some skill (which would be nice) but hes pretty bad defensively. I'd still like to see him here though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Couldnt agree more.
Conservation of energy is important.

Different position of course but Chris Pronger had that down to a science.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can't lie, I have some reservations about Brown too. Like I think he'll help the team, but it's not like this is a guy that has scored 30 a bunch of times and we're hoping he can find that game. I don't think he's someone that you can just throw on McDavid's wing and expect it to work, he might end up being more valuable playing down the lineup. I think they should be approaching that spot in the lineup with a bit more of an open mind, perhaps giving a rookie a chance there. His career high is 21 goals (granted in a short year), but outside of two seasons he's been pretty pedestrian offensively.
He doesnt need to score 30 goals on McDavids wing. He just needs to get in on the forecheck quickly and win puck battles and find an open McDavid.
In that regard I think he will be a very good fit.

Reactions: TB12

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He doesnt need to score 30 goals on McDavids wing. He just needs to get in on the forecheck quickly and win puck battles and find an open McDavid.
In that regard I think he will be a very good fit.
I agree, however I think expectations need to be adjusted for some people. Like, it's not ridiculous to think that Foegele could outscore Brown, if they are given equal opportunity.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would take that bet.
IMO Brown would consistently outscore Foegele.
I would definitely have Brown favoured, but it's not unreasonable. Even strength per 60 numbers for both (excluding seasons under 50 games:

FoegeleG/60P/60
18/190.71.1
19/200.71.9
20/210.91.7
21/220.61.4
22/230.92.1

BrownG/60P/60
16/171.01.6
17/180.71.5
18/190.41.6
19/200.72
20/211.22
21/220.51.6

Jesus christ tables are hard to add here lol. But my point is that Foegele's even strength production is not all that far off from Brown's, granted I have no idea what their quality of line mates are (though I would imagine Brown's would be higher?). Comparing their last five real seasons at even strength, Foegele has scored goals at a higher rate in 3/5 and tied in another, and has produced points at a higher rate in 2/5. They seem like pretty comparable players.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Personally I think the Hyman Brown comps are somewhat overstated. They are connected by a similar high work rate and dogged puck pursuit game. Hyman though is a contemporary power forward without the nasty disposition at 210 pounds is virtually immoveable netfront and battle areas on the ice. Brown is 180 pounds who won’t be outworked and uses a strong processor to anticipate where the puck which augments his tenacity to outwork opposition for its retrieval. His big value might come in helping the Oil PK to improve which is a vital need in their goal suppression priority goal for next level true Cup contender status.

I wouldn’t get too worked up about camp lines. This team’s greatest strength is its versatility to move around the forward group with its centre-wing flexibility and strong hockey IQ/processor that is imbedded within all of their top 6 forwards.

Early days.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yep. Look at my post on the previous page. Big power forward frame is different to move around. Drai has best in world edge and first stride generation for what his weight and size is. He's running some monster strength through those legs and core but like George Foreman theres going to be punching out. Physiologically the energy store and ability to move that hulk is finite. That isn't laziness, its hitting physiological walls at times.
Drai is like 210, it’s not like he’s some hulking power forward that weighs 230+

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
One thing I was hoping for going into this season was that Leon would learn how to control his temper better and take less needless retaliatory penalties... but he took another one last night against the Canucks.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One thing I was hoping for going into this season was that Leon would learn how to control his temper better and take less needless retaliatory penalties... but he took another one last night against the Canucks.

If they continue in the regular season - I agree. In pre-season though - I wish he would have slashed him harder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad