GDT: Preseason Game 1: Wild @ Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Doesn't mean it's the right call to make every time. The last thing we need is an over abundance of penalties instead of not as many.

I would take a half season of penalty filled games if it means that it will shift the game to be more friendly for the highly skilled offensive guys.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
I would take a half season of penalty filled games if it means that it will shift the game to be more friendly for the highly skilled offensive guys.

I agree. There's no legit reason to be slashing a stick up around someone's hands. Sit 'em enough and they'll stop, and the stupid, needless injuries will stop with it.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wow did everyone on each team get a penalty? good wild goaltending last night. sounded like reilly was terrific. kunin had a break but passed to foligno. glad our 2's beat their 1's even if preseason.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Watched the game last night just thought I'd drop by and give full thoughts on the game. Coyle was far and away the best player on the wild if not the whole ice last night. Looked aggressive and in control, hope he can do that for more than 10 games at a time this year. Reilly looked like he was trying to make the perfect play every time early, and once he settled down he was very good, aggressive in the right spots, made some solid plays liked what I saw for the most part. Two defenseman I was disappointed in that I had higher hopes for were Gustav and Quincy. Both looked bad in the D zone, Gustav got lit up a few times which you hate to see especially for him. Gustav did settle down a little bit but not great overall. Ennis and Foligno both looked about what I thought, Ennis had flashes and some pretty bad decisions, looked like he could be a potential pp guy if needed. Foligno didn't hear much of threw his body around a few times and generally made the right play. Some of the prospects now, one I liked was Soucy. Guy threw his body around when he had the chance and looked fairly solid, good first game. Kunin was excellent on the draws last night, worked hard, battled, was off on some of his shot chances so I'll just chalk that up to excitement. Grant was noticeable on the D end and I literally know nothing about him so that was a surprise. Last but not least, the goalie competition was going last night for sure. I didn't enjoy watching Svedberg in net, made me nervous, but neither of the goals were really his fault at all (wow, can Laine shoot it) Michalek was a stud once he came in on the third period when the jets really pushed. I hope Michalek gets a fair look this preseason, would like to see him start a game. Everyone else was either ehh or didn't do much noticeable. Good win, and wow did those penalties throw off the game flow, glad they are doing it but clearly will take some adjustments. Glad hockey is back!

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I wonder if Coyle doing well is related to the fact that he was expected to be The Guy, in a roster full of non-NHL players. It has seemed before that he is at his best when is aggressive and assertive. Too often he defers to vets on his line.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Watched the game last night just thought I'd drop by and give full thoughts on the game. Coyle was far and away the best player on the wild if not the whole ice last night. Looked aggressive and in control, hope he can do that for more than 10 games at a time this year. Reilly looked like he was trying to make the perfect play every time early, and once he settled down he was very good, aggressive in the right spots, made some solid plays liked what I saw for the most part. Two defenseman I was disappointed in that I had higher hopes for were Gustav and Quincy. Both looked bad in the D zone, Gustav got lit up a few times which you hate to see especially for him. Gustav did settle down a little bit but not great overall. Ennis and Foligno both looked about what I thought, Ennis had flashes and some pretty bad decisions, looked like he could be a potential pp guy if needed. Foligno didn't hear much of threw his body around a few times and generally made the right play. Some of the prospects now, one I liked was Soucy. Guy threw his body around when he had the chance and looked fairly solid, good first game. Kunin was excellent on the draws last night, worked hard, battled, was off on some of his shot chances so I'll just chalk that up to excitement. Grant was noticeable on the D end and I literally know nothing about him so that was a surprise. Last but not least, the goalie competition was going last night for sure. I didn't enjoy watching Svedberg in net, made me nervous, but neither of the goals were really his fault at all (wow, can Laine shoot it) Michalek was a stud once he came in on the third period when the jets really pushed. I hope Michalek gets a fair look this preseason, would like to see him start a game. Everyone else was either ehh or didn't do much noticeable. Good win, and wow did those penalties throw off the game flow, glad they are doing it but clearly will take some adjustments. Glad hockey is back!
I'm concerned about the bottom pairing. Quincy isn't better than Folin, who at least had a heavy right-shot. Reilly may add a little zip down there, but he's never going to be a defensive stalwart. Olofsson needs to be good or we are in trouble.

Or maybe Soucy can surprise. But even then he's another LHD.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I'm concerned about the bottom pairing. Quincy isn't better than Folin, who at least had a heavy right-shot. Reilly may add a little zip down there, but he's never going to be a defensive stalwart. Olofsson needs to be good or we are in trouble.

Or maybe Soucy can surprise. But even then he's another LHD.

Yeah I wish Bruce was comfortable with either Olof or Reilly on their off hands but it seems like Quincy will get the first try there. Would rather see him in the press box but i'll give him another game with more regulars before I worry to much about it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
wow did everyone on each team get a penalty? good wild goaltending last night. sounded like reilly was terrific. kunin had a break but passed to foligno. glad our 2's beat their 1's even if preseason.

It was an ill-advised pass to Foligno... he was completely in check at the time and Kunin should have seen that plain as day.

As much as you want to hate on Foligno, you should wait until you know all the facts of you didn't see it. Kunin was all alone and should have either shot it, or take it the rest of the way to the net and try to beat the goaltender that way. Passing to a player who had a defender draped over him was the worst possible choice. Then on top of it, he didn't even put the puck in a place Foligno could have done anything with it even had he not had a defender climbing his back.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
It was an ill-advised pass to Foligno... he was completely in check at the time and Kunin should have seen that plain as day.

As much as you want to hate on Foligno, you should wait until you know all the facts of you didn't see it. Kunin was all alone and should have either shot it, or take it the rest of the way to the net and try to beat the goaltender that way. Passing to a player who had a defender draped over him was the worst possible choice. Then on top of it, he didn't even put the puck in a place Foligno could have done anything with it even had he not had a defender climbing his back.

I don't see the hate on Foligno... He said that Kunin had a shot and decided to pass it?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't see the hate on Foligno... He said that Kunin had a shot and decided to pass it?

It comes across as the pass to Foligno automatically was throwing the play away... Because it was Foligno.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I know some here are determined to find fault with Foligno because they aren't a fan of the trade.

Mentioning the break for Kunin then pass to Foligno looks like trying to give props to Kunin...a player people want to hear good things about, and rag on Foligno, a player they are only expecting to hear bad things about.

When it should have only been mentioned that Kunin screwed up his own break all by himself by making a poor decision.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The game was painful for me to watch, all the penalties made for no real flow to the game. The Wild should have been run out of the building skill wise, but it was nice to see them win.

I had to keep reminding myself that the guys on the ice had never (for the most part) played a game together at AHL/NHL level.

If that period that Michalek had is an indication of his game, he could make a push for the backup spot. It could also have just been a lucky 25 mins where he played above his skill level.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hey talon i can like or dislike any player i choose , its a msg board. i feel we traded scandella's 4 mill cap and replaced with a 4th liner. we overpaid foligno and now stewart may be ticked foligno's making more money but similar player. my reasons whether you like them or not.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
hey talon i can like or dislike any player i choose , its a msg board. i feel we traded scandella's 4 mill cap and replaced with a 4th liner. we overpaid foligno and now stewart may be ticked foligno's making more money but similar player. my reasons whether you like them or not.

Oh I'm not saying you can't HATE player, I'm saying don't lay hate ON a player that doesn't deserve it.

Blaming Foligno on that play is hating ON him without reason, since he's not the one who screwed up...Kunin is.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Oh I'm not saying you can't HATE player, I'm saying don't lay hate ON a player that doesn't deserve it.

Blaming Foligno on that play is hating ON him without reason, since he's not the one who screwed up...Kunin is.

If Kunin makes a better pass Foligno had position on the d-man. The pass ended up going into Foligno's skates not leading him.

Passing wasn't the wrong play there. The goalie was in good position on Kunin as a shooter, but he was out so high a backdoor pass is an easy tap-in goal. Kunin shooting instead of passing wouldn't have been wrong either, but there wasn't a lot of net to shoot at. It was these guys (really the whole team the Wild iced) first time playing together, so it's to be expected that things are a little off in timing/positioning.

I thought it was weird that Foligno got an "A", until I looked at the rest of the team on the ice. Not really many other real choices other to wear a letter from that group.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Kunin makes a better pass Foligno had position on the d-man. The pass ended up going into Foligno's skates not leading him.

Passing wasn't the wrong play there. The goalie was in good position on Kunin as a shooter, but he was out so high a backdoor pass is an easy tap-in goal. Kunin shooting instead of passing wouldn't have been wrong either, but there wasn't a lot of net to shoot at. It was these guys (really the whole team the Wild iced) first time playing together, so it's to be expected that things are a little off in timing/positioning.

I thought it was weird that Foligno got an "A", until I looked at the rest of the team on the ice. Not really many other real choices other to wear a letter from that group.

He had physical position, but the guy was draped all over his back, anything other than a tape pass that he could have immediately fired on the net was a bad move... the pass was poor, Foligno, nor anyone else in that position could have possibly done anything with it.

I still say he had room to take on the goalie one on one though if he wanted to. Shooting was likely his best option though, could've created a rebound that Foligno could've tried to bury as he crashed the net... so two chances possibly instead of what ended up being zero chances because of the choice made.

Again though, my only gripe was from what came as possible blame shifting from Kunin to Foligno, when it was Kunin' s mistake.

I was actually overlooking the mistake as a little chemistry thing with two players who've never played together, one of which was a nervous rookie. These things happen, if you want to point a finger though, point it at the correct player in the first place... in this case, not Foligno.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He had physical position, but the guy was draped all over his back, anything other than a tape pass that he could have immediately fired on the net was a bad move... the pass was poor, Foligno, nor anyone else in that position could have possibly done anything with it.

I still say he had room to take on the goalie one on one though if he wanted to. Shooting was likely his best option though, could've created a rebound that Foligno could've tried to bury as he crashed the net... so two chances possibly instead of what ended up being zero chances because of the choice made.

The way I see it is, Foligno had to slow up to receive the pass and that allowed the d-man to catchup that last little bit. The reply from behind shows a really good view. Kunin had lots of options: shoot to score, shoot for a rebound, pass, or keep it and take it behind the net. Kunin decided to be like Mike (Granlund).

The pass had to be tape-to-tape for it to work, I agree. I also think that Kunin has the ability to make that pass tape-to-tape on a (somewhat, it's not an easy pass) regular basis. It takes both players being on the same page for a pass or shot for a rebound shot to work well. Shooting to score is the easy (maybe safe) play.

Kunin probably should have taken the shot, considering how little the players know each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad