GDT: Preseason Game 04 - Winnipeg Jets @ Ottawa Senators - Friday, September 29th, 2023 - 6:00pm CDT - TSN3 - Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Effort is fine but watching that for 82 games each year would wear thin pretty quick.

Stanley is being given every chance and he blows it each time. Honestly wouldn't be too bothered if he gets claimed on waivers at this point.

At best you're getting like a 5th or a 6th rounder for him anyways from a team that's just trying to jump the waiver queue...

So yeah losing him for free isn't much different.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I think Ville will get the KFC treatment by sending him down to save a decent player from being taken on waivers and making him the 1st recalled player for injury replacement. You have to admire his commitment to improving. At the end of last season he said that he was going home to do everything he could to come back and make the team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If the Jets moved on from 55/37... I'd be fine with these types of high effort games regardless of the result.
It costs about $250 for a pair of mid range seats to go to a game. You add in parking, something to eat and a few beers, going to a game is pushing $400. How many of the 3 preseason and 41 regular season games you going to pay that to watch AHL tweeners work hard and lose?

Reactions: surixon

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Maybe I’m the only one, but Harkins has had a better training camp than both Gus and Ford IMO. He looks quicker this year. Gus has been a bit disappointing, might have a better shot getting him through waivers.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Candidly, why not waive Schmidt? No one will take his cap hit and put a claim in. If someone does? Great, you’re getting out of the last years of his contract. Gives the kids some room to play.

That does a lot of reputational damage that a market like Winnipeg can't afford. Also, I don't understand why everyone thinks Schmidt is no good. He's ok defensively and a positive offensively.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Effort is fine but watching that for 82 games each year would wear thin pretty quick.

Stanley is being given every chance and he blows it each time. Honestly wouldn't be too bothered if he gets claimed on waivers at this point.
I don't think Stanley is as bad a people make him out to be but at this point we have other guys who deserve that shot. Capo, Heinola, Chizz and I absolutely don't want to lose any of them to keep Stan.

I think Stanley would be a fine 6 or 7 on a team with some depth issues.

Yeah Schmidt has played well in his role here. It's Pionk that has been the let down.
As much a I hate to agree Pionk has had more poor play than good at this point. We can only hope that he finds that tenacious game that he plays so well.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That does a lot of reputational damage that a market like Winnipeg can't afford. Also, I don't understand why everyone thinks Schmidt is no good. He's ok defensively and a positive offensively.
Yup. He's overpaid and really best suited to the 3rd pair with a solid defensive guy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think Stanley is as bad a people make him out to be but at this point we have other guys who deserve that shot. Capo, Heinola, Chizz and I absolutely don't want to lose any of them to keep Stan.

As much a I hate to agree Pionk has had more poor play than good at this point. We can only hope that he finds that tenacious game that he plays so well.

I think that injury really robbed him of his ability to pivot at a high level. It's been a couple of years now and he hasn't been able to get it back. That imo is what has really hurt his game.

Reactions: JetsUK and Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yup. He's overpaid and really best suited to the 3rd pair with a solid defensive guy.

I don't like +/- because I don't think it's very telling, but I know some people do, and I'd encourage them to look up who led the Jets in +/- last season.

Also the "3rd pairing" stuff is overblown. He's 5th amongst defencemen for TOI, sure, but he's only a minute per game behind Dillon in 3rd spot and less behind DeMelo. He's also a full 4 minutes in TOI ahead of the 6th highest TOI amongst dmen on the team in Samberg. So he does play 5v5 with Samberg but he's also used on the PP occasionally and in other situations in the o-zone.

Overpaid, a bit for sure, but it's not like playing some ELC or a Capobianco type is going to be better, and it's not like Winnipeg can make the best use of that cap space anyhow.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't like +/- because I don't think it's very telling, but I know some people do, and I'd encourage them to look up who led the Jets in +/- last season.

Also the "3rd pairing" stuff is overblown. He's 5th amongst defencemen for TOI, sure, but he's only a minute per game behind Dillon in 3rd spot and less behind DeMelo. He's also a full 4 minutes in TOI ahead of the 6th highest TOI amongst dmen on the team in Samberg. So he does play 5v5 with Samberg but he's also used on the PP occasionally and in other situations in the o-zone.

Overpaid, a bit for sure, but it's not like playing some ELC or a Capobianco type is going to be better, and it's not like Winnipeg can make the best use of that cap space anyhow.
Yup I agree. The fact is that we already know what the opening 7 will be unless Chevy grows a pair and waives Stan.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Ville will get the KFC treatment by sending him down to save a decent player from being taken on waivers and making him the 1st recalled player for injury replacement. You have to admire his commitment to improving. At the end of last season he said that he was going home to do everything he could to come back and make the team.

And he has done that. But there isn't room.

I think it will be important how they explain sending him down. Show appreciation for what he has done and emphasize that it is now only temporary, until they can open a spot for him. And make sure to let him know that they are going to work at opening that spot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Candidly, why not waive Schmidt? No one will take his cap hit and put a claim in. If someone does? Great, you’re getting out of the last years of his contract. Gives the kids some room to play.

Waive Pionk long before Schmidt.

As to why not, they don't want to pay either of them nearly 6 mil to play for the Moose.

But I agree that no one is going to claim either one of them with their cap hits. Might be able to trade one of them with retention though. Trouble is that there are too few teams with any cap space.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree with all of this. Stan is an NHL Dman. Just not a very good one. Should be able to find a home somewhere. But we need to make room for other guys.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I haven't been following pre season

I'll be shocked if they waive either Schmidt or Pionk.

Stanley I'm 50-50 on but it seems like he rescinded the trade request and the Jets signing him to a 1M deal, then quickly waiving him a few weeks later.... Idk that just seems atypical from the Jets (waits for the tweet of Stanley being waived shortly after this post :laugh:)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I haven't been following pre season

I'll be shocked if they waive either Schmidt or Pionk.

Stanley I'm 50-50 on but it seems like he rescinded the trade request and the Jets signing him to a 1M deal, then quickly waiving him a few weeks later.... Idk that just seems atypical from the Jets (waits for the tweet of Stanley being waived shortly after this post :laugh:)

I don't know if he rescinded the request. Players re-sign deals all the time while still waiting to be moved, I'd think the one year deal lends to that line of thinking. Plus he gets $1M in the AHL too, so that softens the blow a bit for him.

You are right about how they operate though. I wouldn't be surprised to see them carry 8D to start with Stanley and Chisholm while sending Heinola down.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't know if he rescinded the request. Players re-sign deals all the time while still waiting to be moved, I'd think the one year deal lends to that line of thinking. Plus he gets $1M in the AHL too, so that softens the blow a bit for him.

You are right about how they operate though. I wouldn't be surprised to see them carry 8D to start with Stanley and Chisholm while sending Heinola down.
I'll take him at his word over yours for now from an interview he did in the Summer. Could very well be lip service upon signing.

also don't think signing a 1M deal vs being an unsigned rfa at the time changed his trade value at all. His qualifying offer would've been around the same price. So he was getting around that as a minimum regardless. If the Jets really wanted to get rid of him they would have much earlier in the summer in my view.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'll take him at his word over yours for now from an interview he did in the Summer. Could very well be lip service upon signing.

also don't think signing a 1M deal vs being an unsigned rfa at the time changed his trade value at all. His qualifying offer would've been around the same price. So he was getting around that as a minimum regardless. If the Jets really wanted to get rid of him they would have much earlier in the summer in my view.

I didn't know he said anything in the summer. That would change my opinion on it for sure.

Do QOs give you the same salary in the minors as the AHL?

I'm not sure the Jets want to get rid of him necessarily but he seems to be falling out of favour with Bowness. We'll see.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't know he said anything in the summer. That would change my opinion on it for sure.

Do QOs give you the same salary in the minors as the AHL?

I'm not sure the Jets want to get rid of him necessarily but he seems to be falling out of favour with Bowness. We'll see.
This was from August

I checked pld and laines QO Deals and it appears so.

And maybe. He was fine to start last season and then injuries and Samberg happened. I don't see how the situation will change for him this year vs last. And same goes for the other fringe nhl dmen we have.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think that injury really robbed him of his ability to pivot at a high level. It's been a couple of years now and he hasn't been able to get it back. That imo is what has really hurt his game.
He was a slow starter in junior. I think heavy minutes on the moose will be key.

I wonder if demelo is traded. App Ottawa fans want him Back badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad