GDT: Preseason Game 04 - Winnipeg Jets @ Ottawa Senators - Friday, September 29th, 2023 - 6:00pm CDT - TSN3 - Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was a slow starter in junior. I think heavy minutes on the moose will be key.

I wonder if demelo is traded. App Ottawa fans want him Back badly.

Trade him (or let him go to UFA) and Wpg fans will want him back badly. He is still the only decent RHS Dman we have, one of the best defensive Dmen we have, if not the best.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
It costs about $250 for a pair of mid range seats to go to a game. You add in parking, something to eat and a few beers, going to a game is pushing $400. How many of the 3 preseason and 41 regular season games you going to pay that to watch AHL tweeners work hard and lose?

Last season Seattle finished with 5 more points than the Jets did and they did it with a bunch of no namers. If you work hard and stick to the plan you usually win more than you lose and fans appreciate hard working nobodys. Guys like Tanev, Eyssimont and this year Ford.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I haven't been following pre season

I'll be shocked if they waive either Schmidt or Pionk.

Stanley I'm 50-50 on but it seems like he rescinded the trade request and the Jets signing him to a 1M deal, then quickly waiving him a few weeks later.... Idk that just seems atypical from the Jets (waits for the tweet of Stanley being waived shortly after this post :laugh:)

This may be the key.

But hanging onto a guy that the rest of the team, let alone the striving young D looking to break in, know isn't worth his spot is also likely to ruffle feathers, as I believe they say. How do you explain to Heinola / Chisholm / Capo that they're heading back down to a league they're too good for so the team can play yet another D who makes them worse. At least with Pionk some of the guys can remember when he didn't suck.

I feel like the signing itself was a favour to the big man -- get waived, and still make your guaranteed contract, or get picked up elsewhere and have another shot to play.

Maybe it's the injuries, or a natural plateau, or a combo, but it feels like the time to #FreeStanley.

Tho I take the point that in Jets Time, that point often gets an extra season or two.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Last season Seattle finished with 5 more points than the Jets did and they did it with a bunch of no namers. If you work hard and stick to the plan you usually win more than you lose and fans appreciate hard working nobodys. Guys like Tanev, Eyssimont and this year Ford.
Don’t kid yourself that the AHL tweeners are NHL players no matter how hard they work. They are playing for the last couple jobs right now. Come the regular season people will again be complaining about the depth players inability to produce. I actually think we have improved our depth to have 12 actual NHL players in the lineup if healthy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That does a lot of reputational damage that a market like Winnipeg can't afford. Also, I don't understand why everyone thinks Schmidt is no good. He's ok defensively and a positive offensively.
Agreed Schmidt is one of top 6 defensemen, he is just way over paid for being a 3rd pairing player. Waiving him does nothing as no one will claim him due to the cap hit, but since you can no longer bury salary in the minors we will still have most of his cap hit. We will just be worse.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
That does a lot of reputational damage that a market like Winnipeg can't afford. Also, I don't understand why everyone thinks Schmidt is no good. He's ok defensively and a positive offensively.
But OK and positive costs the Jets nearly 6 million. For two more seasons.
I think Schmidt would clear waivers.
If reputational damage is confused with trying to make the team better, I say so be it.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Might be a crazy question but if we waived Schmidt would anyone pick him up.
Nothing against Schmidt or his play, but I think the answer to your question is clearly no. There aren't enough teams with cap space.

Chevy would never do that though. He tried really hard to woo Schmidt here, getting him to waive the NTC. He won't turn around and waive him.

Anyways, it looks like we have 7 quality NHL D. That's good. No need to get rid of any of them.

The others are closer to replacement level.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This may be the key.

But hanging onto a guy that the rest of the team, let alone the striving young D looking to break in, know isn't worth his spot is also likely to ruffle feathers, as I believe they say. How do you explain to Heinola / Chisholm / Capo that they're heading back down to a league they're too good for so the team can play yet another D who makes them worse. At least with Pionk some of the guys can remember when he didn't suck.

I feel like the signing itself was a favour to the big man -- get waived, and still make your guaranteed contract, or get picked up elsewhere and have another shot to play.

Maybe it's the injuries, or a natural plateau, or a combo, but it feels like the time to #FreeStanley.

Tho I take the point that in Jets Time, that point often gets an extra season or two.
Even if Stanley is gone neither of the three Defenseman are usurping any of the regulars. Who out of Samberg, Morrissey or Dillon are either of those better than? Once heinola or Chisholm are getting PB'd every night I'm sure you'll be complaining through every thread about it.

Maybe they did it as a favor. Not sure. It just has little relevance when his QO was basically the same. if they really wanted to trade him in the summer, him being signed or unsigned makes no difference in my view.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
But OK and positive costs the Jets nearly 6 million. For two more seasons.
I think Schmidt would clear waivers.
If reputational damage is confused with trying to make the team better, I say so be it.
It would cost the Jets either way if Schmidt was waived. No way he gets picked up due to cap hit, so he would play on the Moose. Since this season you can only bury a maximum of $1,150,000 in the minors per player, the Jets would be taking on a $4.8 M cap hit for him to play on the Moose. Plus the replacement salary of the player that takes his spot.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Even if Stanley is gone neither of the three Defenseman are usurping any of the regulars. Who out of Samberg, Morrissey or Dillon are either of those better than? Once heinola or Chisholm are getting PB'd every night I'm sure you'll be complaining through every thread about it.

Maybe they did it as a favor. Not sure. It just has little relevance when his QO was basically the same. if they really wanted to trade him in the summer, him being signed or unsigned makes no difference in my view.

Nope.

But I am getting a bit tired of that particular argument.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
It would cost the Jets either way if Schmidt was waived. No way he gets picked up due to cap hit, so he would play on the Moose. Since this season you can only bury a maximum of $1,150,000 in the minors per player, the Jets would be taking on a $4.8 M cap hit for him to play on the Moose. Plus the replacement salary of the player that takes his spot.
Thanks for the info. Darn it's hard to move guys in today's NHL.
Salary cap, no trade contracts, lists of teams guys won't play for etc. Yeesh.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Nothing against Schmidt or his play, but I think the answer to your question is clearly no. There aren't enough teams with cap space.

Chevy would never do that though. He tried really hard to woo Schmidt here, getting him to waive the NTC. He won't turn around and waive him.

Anyways, it looks like we have 7 quality NHL D. That's good. No need to get rid of any of them.

The others are closer to replacement level.
Yep Chevy sees something in Schmidt no one else does.

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
I think we're all a little gunshy after the Kovacevic situation but the reality is we could decide to go with Heinola as the 6/7 defenceman and try to cram Stanley, Capo, and Chisholm through waivers all at once on cutdown day and there's a realistic chance all 3 would clear.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we're all a little gunshy after the Kovacevic situation but the reality is we could decide to go with Heinola as the 6/7 defenceman and try to cram Stanley, Capo, and Chisholm through waivers all at once on cutdown day and there's a realistic chance all 3 would clear.
Every team has similar players that will be funneling through the waiver wire over the next week. Some will get picked off, most will slide through. It kind of sucks to lose a player, but it is good for the players that go on waivers to get a shot at being picked up by another team.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yep Chevy sees something in Schmidt no one else does.
I have no idea how you came to that conclusion from that post.

We acquired Schmidt when a were in pretty desperate need for a top 4 d with offense. Remember, Morrissey hadn't come out of his shell yet and we were one year removed from essentially losing 80% of our defense.

This was also one year from Chevy getting raked over the coals for not replacing those d

Saying Chevy sees something in Schmidt that no one else does is a very vague and untrue statement.

I'm sure if Chevy had a magic wand that could wave away any negative effects of getting rid of Schmidt (cap implications, player sentiment both internal and external) he'd pull the trigger.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I have no idea how you came to that conclusion from that post.

We acquired Schmidt when a were in pretty desperate need for a top 4 d with offense. Remember, Morrissey hadn't come out of his shell yet and we were one year removed from essentially losing 80% of our defense.

This was also one year from Chevy getting raked over the coals for not replacing those d

Saying Chevy sees something in Schmidt that no one else does is a very vague and untrue statement.

I'm sure if Chevy had a magic wand that could wave away any negative effects of getting rid of Schmidt (cap implications, player sentiment both internal and external) he'd pull the trigger.
I’m saying it seems like Chevy loves Schmidt even though with his defensive warts he is a third pairing D who gets paid like he should be a top 4 d. Ignoring the historical factors. No one, from reading the posts are saying at this time is saying gee whiz we are so lucky Schmidt decided to come here.

The Pens snuck Smith through waivers so we may actually get Chisholm through if we waive him now.
Won’t it create the same bad feelings with org to send chis down that it would with Heinola when we are desperate for rhs?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
At the end of the day the team will have a 5M+ 3rd pair D. If they were desperate for cap they would have made a move but doesn't seem that way.

Dillon-Schmidt or Samberg-Schmidt have been two really good pairing for us over the past couple seasons. Id use either as a 2nd pair, preferably the one with Samberg to start getting him top-4 reps.

Jets D pairs with similar minutes - sorted by limiting chances against

i am a little less bull-ish on the xGF number for Samberg-Schmidt being maintained, but still in limiting chances they rated quite well compared to other pairs with similar 5v5 minutes.

1696178643160.png

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Won’t it create the same bad feelings with org to send chis down that it would with Heinola when we are desperate for rhs?

Neither Heinola nor Chisholm is a RHS.

Chisholm has had a decent TC but he hasn't forced his way in.

Barring a trade or an injury we are going to have to waive a couple of Dmen who we would rather keep.

I know I would move Stanley, one way or another. After that it gets tough.

Yeah, people are focusing on the wrong RD. Schmidt has been a net positive for us each year he's been here. If you want to move on from a D then that person is Pionk imo.

And its not even close.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Neither Heinola nor Chisholm is a RHS.

Chisholm has had a decent TC but he hasn't forced his way in.

Barring a trade or an injury we are going to have to waive a couple of Dmen who we would rather keep.

I know I would move Stanley, one way or another. After that it gets tough.

And its not even close.
I was a huge Stan defender. Can’t be anymore. He looked like he could have had a chariot career but we have much better options.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad