PreSeason: Free Agents/Trades/Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
with the pre season and 2 regular season games under his belt, I'm sure Babcock now knows just how bad Dion is, and would relish the thought of freeing up all that money to improve the team going forward. I still have my doubts that that contract can be moved without retaining significant dollars.

To be fair, he's easily been our most consistently good defenseman, and often looks like the best guy out there. Not to mention that he already has 3 points right now.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
To be fair, he's easily been our most consistently good defenseman, and often looks like the best guy out there. Not to mention that he already has 3 points right now.
personally I haven't noticed him standing out in a positive way at all, I do think he looks better because (I think) he's getting less ice time. He play way too much the last couple of years imo.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
personally I haven't noticed him standing out in a positive way at all, I do think he looks better because (I think) he's getting less ice time. He play way too much the last couple of years imo.

22 minutes. Yeah, one less minute than last year.

Well I don't think it's the fact that he can't play 25 minutes a night more so than he had to do it practically all by himself when he did play. Like when these other defensemen are playing 25+ minutes, they have another really good defenseman beside them that can handle the same amount of time; not guys that shouldn't be playing over 20 minutes.

When Phaneuf plays, it's hard minutes, because usually the guy beside him cannot handle the workload.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 11m11 minutes ago

Schultz (LA), Irwin (BOS), Tarnasky (NYR) on waivers today.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Babcock wanted Phanuef when he was in Detroit and now with his imput into player trades, I really don't see Phanuef being traded, unless of course it's a knock your socks off deal.
At this point a decent pick or prospect would knock my socks off.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
We want to trade Dion for young players/prospects/picks, but will likely have to take a cap dump back or retain salary.

Is there a way to combine the two? A young player (around 25 years old), who also has a bad contract?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We want to trade Dion for young players/prospects/picks, but will likely have to take a cap dump back or retain salary.

Is there a way to combine the two? A young player (around 25 years old), who also has a bad contract?
Black Hawks are apparently looking for a D man, Bickell is available, if Hawks would be willing to add a draft pick or two maybe there's a match their. Doesn't help the Hawks cap wise, but they do get a D man and lose a winger that is overpaid. probably no chance.......

91Kadri91*

No, he really doesn't.

He's great on the PP (which is nothing new), and that's about it; Gardiner has easily been the Leafs' best even-strength defenseman.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Not a bad idea, this team could use our version of a Dubinsky. Take a perfect storm though, to find a team that

A. wants Dion
and
B. has a high quality youngish guy thats either expendable or coming off a bad year

Just throwing **** at the wall not necessarily a fit, just guys that i think could be found expendable(potentially), have substantial contracts and fit the age range

Skinner
Kane/O'reilly/ Ennis
Saad

Nyquist
C.Smith/C wilson
Henrique
Johansson
Lee

Depending on the years they have I think the bolded would be the only ones at all possible. More likely would be a collection of lesser roster reclamations like Chiasson+Cowen+ or something of that ilk

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Not a bad idea, this team could use our version of a Dubinsky. Take a perfect storm though, to find a team that

A. wants Dion
and
B. has a high quality youngish guy thats either expendable or coming off a bad year

Just throwing **** at the wall not necessarily a fit, just guys that i think could be found expendable(potentially), have substantial contracts and fit the age range

Skinner
Kane/O'reilly/ Ennis
Saad

Nyquist
C.Smith/C wilson
Henrique
Johansson
Lee

Depending on the years they have I think the bolded would be the only ones at all possible. More likely would be a collection of lesser roster reclamations like Chiasson+Cowen+ or something of that ilk

Jeff Skinner seems like the best option, since he's the only one I've heard of being shopped. I especially don't see someone who just got acquired or re-signed being flipped for Dion.

In a Skinner for Phaneuf trade, which team needs to add?

I think retention on Phaneuf is more likely, and then Carolina adds.

Maybe Phaneuf @ 5.2M for Skinner and LA's 1st?

Not sure if Wisniewski's contract is covered by insurance. If it isn't, then we could take that back. I'm sure Carolina wouldn't want to pay him $5M to sit out this season.

Maybe Jordan Staal instead of Skinner? Staal is a worse contract, so Carolina would have to add more.

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
Jeff Skinner seems like the best option, since he's the only one I've heard of being shopped. I especially don't see someone who just got acquired or re-signed being flipped for Dion.

In a Skinner for Phaneuf trade, which team needs to add?

I think retention on Phaneuf is more likely, and then Carolina adds.

Maybe Phaneuf @ 5.2M for Skinner and LA's 1st?

Not sure if Wisniewski's contract is covered by insurance. If it isn't, then we could take that back. I'm sure Carolina wouldn't want to pay him $5M to sit out this season.

Maybe Jordan Staal instead of Skinner? Staal is a worse contract, so Carolina would have to add more.
Lol phaneuf is not getting traded where do you guys get these dumb trades from ?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I rather see them take a camp dump and not retain salary for this reason. They are already paying $1.25 million of Kessel's contract for 7 years and they are allowed to only retain 3 contracts until they are finished.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Speak for yourself. Babcock seems quite pleased to have Dion.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
[/B]

Strange rebuilding teams have always used vetrans.

That could be almost literally every other player on the team.

What's important now is a culture change, and accumulating assets for the future. Trading Dion opens the opportunity for both.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Speak for yourself. Babcock seems quite pleased to have Dion.

I haven't seen any evidence of this since the season began. Give it a few more games.

That said, I can see a JVR to Anaheim (Theodore, Vatanen, Ritchie, Gibson, etc) trade much more than a Dion trade right now. If we trade Dion we have no one who can shoulder the top pairing burden. Rielly and Gardiner would get absolutely eaten. Any Dion trade happens in the offseason IMO.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I haven't seen any evidence of this since the season began. Give it a few more games.

That said, I can see a JVR to Anaheim (Theodore, Vatanen, Ritchie, Gibson, etc) trade much more than a Dion trade right now. If we trade Dion we have no one who can shoulder the top pairing burden. Rielly and Gardiner would get absolutely eaten. Any Dion trade happens in the offseason IMO.

I'm good with trading JVR for the right deal at any time. Do what you need to do.

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
I'd keep the team together for 40 games and see what happens. Patience fellow fans, we're going nowhere this season anyways.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm good with trading JVR for the right deal at any time. Do what you need to do.

Same. A bobby Ryan type return would be just fine. 1st pick and a good young player/prospect.

I like JVR as a player but the Leafs likely won't be good until his contract is over. Meaning they will need to resign him for likely an expensive deal. So I'm more inclined to move him now - his low cap hit would mean his return could be good.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Same. A bobby Ryan type return would be just fine. 1st pick and a good young player/prospect.

I like JVR as a player but the Leafs likely won't be good until his contract is over. Meaning they will need to resign him for likely an expensive deal. So I'm more inclined to move him now - his low cap hit would mean his return could be good.

Well Bobby Ryan returned Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st. So let's say we move him to Anaheim. Silfverberg + Noesen is a little over someone like Ritchie or Theodore alone (since Silfverberg was in the NHL already at like 21 and producing). Maybe Ritchie + a 1st + a 2nd or something for JVR and maybe we throw in someone like Panik.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If you're doing a trade for JVR with Anaheim, you get really need to get one of the goalies(preferably Gibson) back.

The Ryan template with a team that isn't Anaheim may make sense though, but I'm not really interested in adding more forward prospects for JVR. But I wouldn't be in any rush to move him; and if we did deal him, I'd be looking to get a goalie or a young promising RHD in return because those look like to two most glaring needs that we don't have in system currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad