PreSeason: Free Agents/Trades/Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
While true I think that's a misleading statement. It "extends" to Pouliot in the AHL because POuliot was a massive disappointment in camp. It's not like he's was forced out because their d core is so good.

Letang/ Maata

Cole, SCuderi, Lovejoy, Dumoulin, Clendening Erixon

Not exactly awe inspriring

I'd still take the first 5 of those (forgetting about their contracts) over Polak. I'm also not the kind of guy to judge a player for a good/bad camp, it's a tiny sample size.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
While true I think that's a misleading statement. It "extends" to Pouliot in the AHL because POuliot was a massive disappointment in camp. It's not like he's was forced out because their d core is so good.

Letang/ Maata

Cole, SCuderi, Lovejoy, Dumoulin, Clendening Erixon

Not exactly awe inspriring

Pouliot is like Shultz in Edm. Give him offensive room and he'll look great. Make him play defense and he'll be in the AHL

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Penguin's defensive depth extends at least to Pouliot, who's in the AHL right now.

Perron will move up. He's a good player and he can play LW or RW so only one of Kunitz, Plotnikov or Hornqvist has to falter for him to get into the top 6.

Perron was playing on the first PP unit too, until the Pens tried to get something going later in the game. So I wouldn't read too much into last nights game and where certain players were.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You have to wonder what Buffalo and Vancouver will do with Lehner and Markstrom injured respectively. Markstrom may not be out very long, and Bachman will probably be able to handle spot duty even if he is, but Buffalo looks like they are going to lose their starter for a while now. Bylsma said it wasn't a short term issue, and Chad Johnson isn't exactly the goalie they should be running with long term.

They have a couple of options: Scrivens, Ward, Reimer and Hiller/Ortio/Ramo.

The top three options have to be Reimer, Hiller and Ward. Ramo and Scrivens don't compare with their skill sets to price tags and are probably the two worst goalies on the list. It all depends on what price in cap space they want to pay and whom they want to deal with; all three will probably cost the same in terms of assets.

If I were to try Reimer, it'd be him + contract for Johnson + prospect + conditional pick.

:leafs
Chad Johnson
William Carrier (there are other options that may be worth less to them that are fine)
Conditional 4th round pick (depending on # of games + Buffalo's success)

:sabres
James Reimer
Matt Frattin (or maybe Richard Panik)

We can be flexible in what we receive, but getting a one year backup that will let Bernier truly take the reins plus may be able to turn into more assets later, a B prospect + a 4th (or maybe more) for Reimer, that's an excellent deal for both teams. Thoughts?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You have to wonder what Buffalo and Vancouver will do with Lehner and Markstrom injured respectively. Markstrom may not be out very long, and Bachman will probably be able to handle spot duty even if he is, but Buffalo looks like they are going to lose their starter for a while now. Bylsma said it wasn't a short term issue, and Chad Johnson isn't exactly the goalie they should be running with long term.

The top three options have to be Reimer, Hiller and Ward. Ramo and Scrivens don't compare with their skill sets to price tags and are probably the two worst goalies on the list. It all depends on what price in cap space they want to pay and whom they want to deal with; all three will probably cost the same in terms of assets.

If I were to try Reimer, it'd be him + contract for Johnson + prospect + conditional pick.

Chad Johnson
William Carrier (there are other options that may be worth less to them that are fine)

James Reimer

We can be flexible in what we receive, but getting a one year backup that will let Bernier truly take the reins plus may be able to turn into more assets later, a B prospect + a 4th (or maybe more) for Reimer, that's an excellent deal for both teams. Thoughts?

I'm not sure why they would trade Johnson essentially for Reimer. They would want Reimer to help Johnson out or vice versa.

Their depth right now in goal is incredibly bad for Buffalo. Lehner is apparently injured long-term. They have Makarov and Lieuwen as call ups.

So if Johnson and/or the younger options don't work out, perhaps Reimer could be an option for them. They could also turn to Calgary who have 3 goaltenders on their NHL roster (Ortio, Hiller and Ramo). Peter Budaj is also on waivers right now, so that's a free depth option for them, but it's pretty clear that Reimer and Hiller/Ortio are the better options.

With Buffalo really pushing to be competitive this season, I have no doubt they will look for help in net if Lehner is injured for a few months.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Chad Johnson

James Reimer

They'll want to keep Johnson to form a tandem.

We can just simply grab some waiver type guy to play 20-25 games behind Bernier or sign someone. Buffalo can get more use out of Reimer than we can.

Reimer is gone after this year and we should get what we can for him.

Reto Berra went for a 2nd near the 2014 deadline (54th overall pick)

Talbot who is a bit more highly regarded went for a 57th, 79th and 184 picks (but it was an off-season deal).

I'd say if Buffalo traded us their 3rd + one of the San Jose or St. Louis 3rd round picks they own that'd be a fair trade.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Bernier's one soft goal per game....

Won't last long under this regime and Reimer could easily win his job back by returning to form. That would make Bernier the trade bait if Lou doesn't think he is "The one." If Bernier sucks our goaltending is as bad as anyone in the league. The truth is one of Reimer or Bernier is gone.I'm sorry but what exactly has Bernier proven? Not that he is worth over $4M per season.

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

We can just simply grab some waiver type guy to play 20-25 games behind Bernier or sign someone. Buffalo can get more use out of Reimer than we can.

Talbot who is a bit more highly regarded went for a 57th, 79th and 184 picks (but it was an off-season deal).

I'd say if Buffalo traded us their 3rd + one of the San Jose or St. Louis 3rd round picks they own that'd be a fair trade.

i think if we could get 2 x 3rd rounders for reimer it should be something to consider. we can pick up a vet goalie off waivers for peanuts. budaj? emery? etc, etc.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Won't last long under this regime and Reimer could easily win his job back by returning to form. That would make Bernier the trade bait if Lou doesn't think he is "The one." If Bernier sucks our goaltending is as bad as anyone in the league. The truth is one of Reimer or Bernier is gone.I'm sorry but what exactly has Bernier proven? Not that he is worth over $4M per season.

Bernier definitely hasn't proven he's a player to build around but he's going to be given every chance to be that guy. Notice how Babcock knew he was going to run with him to start the season. Management has their hesitations which is why he only got a 2 year deal. 4.15 million is also on the lower of end of the pay scale for starting goalies. Bernier offers consistency and upside that Reimer doesn't. The team also plays with a different level of confidence when he's in net.

Reimer on the other hand has been viewed as a backup since Bernier came along for good reasons. After 5 seasons with the Leafs (management including Lou + Babcock who's former teams were in the East) should have a very good idea of what he. My bet is they think he's too much of a wild card goalie who lacks fundamentals like rebound control, handling the puck, guessing at shots way to often and my god he sucks high glove side.

Reimer (who's a pending UFA) will be shown the door first but Bernier could also be gone in another season or two.

Last edited:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Do soft goals suddenly count as more? Because Bernier lets in less of the other kind of goals than Reimer.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I'm good with 2 3rds. I was just including Johnson because it makes salary more palatable and they don't need to waive him once Lehner comes back (and because he can be a backup for Bernier). Reimer can handle the full duties with someone like Lieuwyn as his backup until Lehner comes back.

Or we can trade Frattin and Panik for Scrivens and a pick so he can be our backup.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Depending on his play this year, I think we re-sign Reimer (at a considerably lower, backup appropriate AAV). As we're saying, we're not going to get much for him, and neither of the Marlies are ready to step up.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Depending on his play this year, I think we re-sign Reimer (at a considerably lower, backup appropriate AAV). As we're saying, we're not going to get much for him, and neither of the Marlies are ready to step up.

Personally I want Bibeau to get as many starts in the AHL as possible. I think he is our most promising goalie prospect at this time and need to give him every chance to grow.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ion-Phaneufmore-Leafs-Sharks-and-more/1/71586

This from a very good source....and this goes back to the draft when the kings put forth the most intriguing offer for Phaneuf. And now it appears the Kings have the space and players to make this happen...

While Mike Richards could retire, I keep hearing the Sharks may be a team with some interest. Coach Deboers really likes him.

Also hearing some talk about Dan Cleary possibly being moved to the Leafs if the Wings are willing to take back some contract...

Obviously it's Eklund, but it's not the first time this has been said. L.A. will need some salary going the other way though.

Dan Cleary to Toronto was also a thing not too long ago. I'd assume the contract would be someone like Frattin. Cleary would probably not net us any picks at the TDL, but as a 13th/14th forward he wouldn't be that bad. Especially at the expense of an older Marlie that won't be able to net us anything in his own right. Interesting at least...

Of course, since it's Eklund, don't expect much. Especially since Lou doesn't give much away.

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...ion-Phaneufmore-Leafs-Sharks-and-more/1/71586

Obviously it's Eklund, but it's not the first time this has been said. L.A. will need some salary going the other way though.

Dan Cleary to Toronto was also a thing not too long ago. I'd assume the contract would be someone like Frattin. Cleary would probably not net us any picks at the TDL, but as a 13th/14th forward he wouldn't be that bad. Especially at the expense of an older Marlie that won't be able to net us anything in his own right. Interesting at least...

Of course, since it's Eklund, don't expect much. Especially since Lou doesn't give much away.

Cleary is horrible. There are glaciers with more momentum that he has. Richards perhaps could be useful. At least he has contacts :naughty:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Babcock liked Cleary as a vet presence on the fourth line. That's enough to make some people talk, and that's enough to get Eklund to mention it.

Dion to LA sounds a lot more plausible though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Babcock liked Cleary as a vet presence on the fourth line. That's enough to make some people talk, and that's enough to get Eklund to mention it.

Dion to LA sounds a lot more plausible though.

Well is he worth just bringing him in to be a depth player if he costs nothing? Kind of like what people wanted Robidas to be but a whole lot cheaper?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
If LA takes Dion, they lose Kopitar to free agency next year.

Only way it works is if we take back Brown, which is a Clarkson bad contract.

horner

May 22, 2007
Word is that Jimmy Vesey is going to be a FA in April .

Also heard that we hired his father as a scout.

During the game last it was mentioned that we have the inside tract to signing him.

Let's hope so.

He sounds like a good one.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Babcock wanted Phanuef when he was in Detroit and now with his imput into player trades, I really don't see Phanuef being traded, unless of course it's a knock your socks off deal.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Babcock wanted Phanuef when he was in Detroit and now with his imput into player trades, I really don't see Phanuef being traded, unless of course it's a knock your socks off deal.
with the pre season and 2 regular season games under his belt, I'm sure Babcock now knows just how bad Dion is, and would relish the thought of freeing up all that money to improve the team going forward. I still have my doubts that that contract can be moved without retaining significant dollars.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
with the pre season and 2 regular season games under his belt, I'm sure Babcock now knows just how bad Dion is, and would relish the thought of freeing up all that money to improve the team going forward. I still have my doubts that that contract can be moved without retaining significant dollars.

Actually that's not what he has been saying about Phanuef and if he really didn't have any confidence in him, he would have taken the "C" off his sweater.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Actually that's not what he has been saying about Phanuef and if he really didn't have any confidence in him, he would have taken the "C" off his sweater.
you may be right, but I doubt if the Leafs are looking at trading Phaneuf that publicly saying so and/or stripping him of the captaincy does anything other than hurt his trade value.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

During the game last it was mentioned that we have the inside tract to signing him.

Let's hope so.

We'll probably trade some prospects we don't want for him like we did with Hyman.

Cameranesi/Herzog+?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Let's hope so.

When Damien Cox said that last night I thought "that doesn't sound right". Isn't there a month long period following the NCAA season when the drafting team retains their exclusive rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad