PreSeason: Free Agents/Trades/Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Well Bobby Ryan returned Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st. So let's say we move him to Anaheim. Silfverberg + Noesen is a little over someone like Ritchie or Theodore alone (since Silfverberg was in the NHL already at like 21 and producing). Maybe Ritchie + a 1st + a 2nd or something for JVR and maybe we throw in someone like Panik.

I'd be happy with a 1st (2016 or 2017)/Larsson + Theodore/Ritchie. Gibson would be sweet too, but he doesn't return one of those guys on top, maybe just a guy like Montour.

I don't think throwing in Panik has any value, seeing as how they could have claimed him on waivers, but if we did the trade 40+ games into the season we could throw in one of the impending UFAs.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Well Bobby Ryan returned Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st. So let's say we move him to Anaheim. Silfverberg + Noesen is a little over someone like Ritchie or Theodore alone (since Silfverberg was in the NHL already at like 21 and producing). Maybe Ritchie + a 1st + a 2nd or something for JVR and maybe we throw in someone like Panik.

ritchie + theodore+ 1st for jvr + 2nd

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
ritchie + theodore+ 1st for jvr + 2nd

I'd use a prospect or two instead of the pick. I don't want to give up picks, and we have plenty of NHL ready prospects/young NHLers that can be exchanged for that 2nd and don't fit here anymore (or won't in the near future). With all of the salary they'll have to start paying, they may like a couple of young NHLers with cheap contracts coming back to help them fill out their lineup.

91Kadri91*

I haven't seen any evidence of this since the season began. Give it a few more games.

That said, I can see a JVR to Anaheim (Theodore, Vatanen, Ritchie, Gibson, etc) trade much more than a Dion trade right now. If we trade Dion we have no one who can shoulder the top pairing burden. Rielly and Gardiner would get absolutely eaten. Any Dion trade happens in the offseason IMO.

You do realize that Gardiner has led the Leafs in even-strength ice-time for 2 seasons now, right? He's currently leading the Leafs in even-strength ice-time this season too.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You do realize that Gardiner has led the Leafs in even-strength ice-time for 2 seasons now, right? He's currently leading the Leafs in even-strength ice-time this season too.

And he is playing top pairing now. We'd obviously need someone half decent to play beside him (who is not Rielly or Hunwick), but he could probably hold his own. Especially since we aren't trying to win.

Let's just say Zaitsev comes over from the KHL. If he doesn't have a big learning curve from Europe to NA, that could be his partner for the future (if Gardiner is a part of it).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Forgot about Zaitsev.

Looks like he has 7 points in 13 games to start the KHL season.

23 years old, 6'2, righty, can skate, and is good offensively, but steady defensively.

Hopefully he still joins us after the KHL season.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

It's just a very tough spot to put a young D in; to set him up to get pumped every night. He's more sheltered with Dion there.

If we retained on JVR I think we could get even more out of Anaheim, and given how bad we are we shouldn't be overly concerned with retention on JVR's term IMO.

Ritchie + 1st would be a great starting point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Forgot about Zaitsev.

Looks like he has 7 points in 13 games to start the KHL season.

23 years old, 6'2, righty, can skate, and is good offensively, but steady defensively.

Hopefully he still joins us after the KHL season.

Lamoriello is at the helm now. Only way the Leafs don't sign him is if Lamoriello decides otherwise. Or if he suddenly changes his mind.

I'm very positive we'll have him signed at the end of the season. It would have been done all ready if he wasn't all ready contracted in the KHL.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd love to be able to pawn of Robidas (if/when healthy) to the Hawks for Bickell.

Chicago sheds 1M of cap space and gain a defender they need. We can probably work with Bickell and see if we can find some value in him over the next year or so. Could be a good player to have with a lot of the veterans likely gone soon too.

I guess they can probably do better though.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'd love to be able to pawn of Robidas (if/when healthy) to the Hawks for Bickell.

Chicago sheds 1M of cap space and gain a defender they need. We can probably work with Bickell and see if we can find some value in him over the next year or so. Could be a good player to have with a lot of the veterans likely gone soon too.

I guess they can probably do better though.

bickell is more expensive and longer contract i think. not sure where he would play either? i wouldnt call him an upgrade on what we have which is pretty sad. robidas is at least usually hurt and on ltir so hhos roster spotbis available.

jvr bozak boyes
lupul kadri komorov
matthias holland bickell?
winnil spaling arcobello
pap?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
bickell is more expensive and longer contract i think. not sure where he would play either? i wouldnt call him an upgrade on what we have which is pretty sad. robidas is at least usually hurt and on ltir so hhos roster spotbis available.

jvr bozak boyes
lupul kadri komorov
matthias holland bickell?
winnil spaling arcobello
pap?

Same term (2 years left) but yes, more expensive.

The idea behind it is to gain a body for the top 9 lines if/when the Leafs decide to trade playersl ike JVR, Matthias, PAP, Boyes, Lupul, etc.

Bickell has terrible value right now and isn't worth a 4M cap hit, but he could be a decent top 9 forward that brings size and some physicality to the team over the next year or so.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
What's Zaitsev projected as? A top 4 Dman?

Boy could we do with getting lucky on picking up a solid RHD. Would take the pressure of needing to draft/trade for one specifically in the near future.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Same term (2 years left) but yes, more expensive.

The idea behind it is to gain a body for the top 9 lines if/when the Leafs decide to trade playersl ike JVR, Matthias, PAP, Boyes, Lupul, etc.

Bickell has terrible value right now and isn't worth a 4M cap hit, but he could be a decent top 9 forward that brings size and some physicality to the team over the next year or so.

if we trade robidas for bickell we are shuffling deck chairs. doesnt make sense to me. if the concern is filling a roster should we trade off everyone we can probably bring back expiring forward contracts to serve the same purpose.

i personally dont see lupul or jvr moving. jvr is young cheap and good so no team will likely part with what the leafs will want and lupul is injury prone expensive and has term.

i could see interest in boyes for sure and probably mathias. pap meh. not sure we could get a 7th.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
if we trade robidas for bickell we are shuffling deck chairs. doesnt make sense to me. if the concern is filling a roster should we trade off everyone we can probably bring back expiring forward contracts to serve the same purpose.

i personally dont see lupul or jvr moving. jvr is young cheap and good so no team will likely part with what the leafs will want and lupul is injury prone expensive and has term.

i could see interest in boyes for sure and probably mathias. pap meh. not sure we could get a 7th.

Robidas is completely useless. Bickell is also useless, but he's also 9-10 years younger and would probably be far more attractive to trade in the next year or so compared to Robidas in the same time frame. He had a couple really good seasons with Chicago but he just got overpaid after a massive playoff run in 2013 and since then, he has struggled to live up to his contract.

Who knows who's traded at this point but I'd much prefer having Bickell than Robidas. Either way, it won't happen because Robidas is injured for probably awhile and I'm sure Chicago doesn't want a player that has a 35+ contract anyway.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What's Zaitsev projected as? A top 4 Dman?

Boy could we do with getting lucky on picking up a solid RHD. Would take the pressure of needing to draft/trade for one specifically in the near future.

I'd say he could come over and play 2nd pairing right now.

I think there's some top pairing potential there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia