GDT: Preseason - Flames @ Sharks, 8:30pm MT

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Calgary Flames - San Jose Sharks - September 27th, 2018

Interesting to see how much playing time everyone got. Bennett with the lowest time on ice at 11 minutes, and Backlund at 19. Giordano getting 24 mins, and Hamonic had more playing time than Brodie. Hanifin didn't get a lot of time on either special team but got 19 minutes as well. Good to know we have a far more balanced lineup this year. I'd expect Gaudreau to take a step back points wise tbh, but I'd expect a tone more production from our bottom 6.
Perhaps, but having another trigger man in Neal on the team, could go a long way in offsetting that, and than some. Our Offense is much better all around now, so Gaudreau should have more options when Monahan’s not on the ice/open.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Perhaps, but having another trigger man in Neal on the team, could go a long way in offsetting that, and than some. Our Offense is much better all around now, so Gaudreau should have more options when Monahan’s not on the ice/open.

Well considering 3/4 of our goals didn't come from our top line (and Hamonic actually scoring a goal), its a pretty good step.

Reactions: tmurfin

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We forget in Calgary how lucky we are for radio coverage. Went from a legend to a decent team.

The colour guy here should listen to how Lou does it. Like, don’t whine lol.
I really like Wills. I wasn't too pleased when he was first hired because he was one of those over the top minor league announcers for Hamilton, but he really stepped up his professionalism and for a guy replacing a legend, he has done an admirable job IMO.

Drew Remenda used to be their colour guy. I'm noticing a theme.
This is their radio color guy, so it will be more homerish than TV.

It is kinda par for the course with radio commentators, though.
Yeah, it is. Even Maher was a pretty big homer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If anyone wants their buzz killed quick...
I loved Kobasew and thought he was going to be a star. I do honestly think he was on the verge of breaking out when he broke his shoulder, but was traded to the Bruins before he could even return from the injury iirc.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Just saw the hit Bennett threw on Evander Kane that led to the fight.

Man I really hope this kid figures it out. Plays such a hard game but the offense is not there yet.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Calgary took the game to San Jose almost all night. Calgary's speed had San Jose on their heals most of the night. Calgary dominated t he race to the puck all night long. San Jose has a very good team but IMO that overall team speed was doing what Tre wanted.

The 3M line looked re-energized. Bennett and Jankowski were winning battles all over the place and the Ryan line was building chemistry all night.

If this is the preview of Flames hockey this season I am very impressed.

Oh and our d-core was very active. Don't know how many times I saw the guys up in the play. Nice change from Gully's game.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Just saw the hit Bennett threw on Evander Kane that led to the fight.

Man I really hope this kid figures it out. Plays such a hard game but the offense is not there yet.
Gary Roberts didn't figure it out until around age 23-24.

I see a similar development path with Bennett.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Peters is disinterested in giving Bennett a chance up the lineup. We could have had a killer second line/second PP of something like Czarnik-Bennett-Neal(+Backlund) but his stubborn love for Ryan is going to cost Neal a big season. I guess the directive from above is to not let Bennett break out in a contract year. I don't think Ryan has the tenacity/hardness on the puck/two-way game to play with Neal, who is a floater. Ryan should be on the Jankowski line with Dube/Mangiapane IMO.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Peters is disinterested in giving Bennett a chance up the lineup. We could have had a killer second line/second PP of something like Czarnik-Bennett-Neal(+Backlund) but his stubborn love for Ryan is going to cost Neal a big season. I guess the directive from above is to not let Bennett break out in a contract year. I don't think Ryan has the tenacity/hardness on the puck/two-way game to play with Neal, who is a floater. Ryan should be on the Jankowski line with Dube/Mangiapane IMO.

Bennett won't need the top-6 to break-out. He's going to all on his own.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think San Jose is an extremely talented team, especially on the defensive end, which would be why it was difficult for individuals to stand out last night on offence. The most impressive part of last night's game wasn't any particular player (though the defence were great across the board), but the team system. I'm loving the shift.

Oh boy, this is how you're going to take this narrative? Ryan has been a standout in the pre-season, impressing a lot of us who expected a Kris Versteeg-level player out of him. From what we've seen out of Peters, if Ryan doesn't justify his position, a change will be made. Changes have been made often during the pre-season.

I'm guessing this isn't the last time we're going to hear of this story, though. :rolleyes:

But you're right. I think Peters is genuinely disinterested in giving Bennett a chance up in the lineup until he's given a reason. Just like I think he's disinterested in giving Hathaway a chance up in the lineup, or Lazar. The only people who can change that mentality are the players themselves, but showing that they can help the team in that role.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I loved it when Gaudreau got slammed into the side of the net and the Sharks got an interference penalty añd the CC guy had the balls to call it a dive by Gaudreau. Seriously??

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
No one is breaking out playing 11 minutes a game with much of it on the PK. He could have a great year relative to role but nothing that will get him paid.
to be fair...he did spend 7 minutes in the penalty box otherwise he probably would have had another couple of minutes of ice time.
I am one of the fans who thinks that Bennett could breakout given the correct linemates (and that is as a center or a winger). I personally am hoping that Neal earns primary minutes with Gaudreau /Monahan and Czarnik earns primary minutes with Tkachuk/ Backlund which hopefully leads to a 3rd line of Bennett/Lindholm/Ryan however it appears that Peters has chosen his pairs and it looks like Bennett and Jankowski are stapled together which means 4th line minutes for both.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
so....we've been good this pre-season? Cool story. Who has been the biggest standout so far?

As far as guys pushing for jobs Dube, Mangiapane, Valimaki and Andersson have been good to great.

Hanifin, Hamonic have been good, especially Hanifin. Lindholm also looking good on that top line.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bennett has looked decent this preseason to me. I’ve really liked Hanifin a lot as well. And Lindholm looked top notch last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad