Premier League 2021-2022 part III

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't watch every Liverpool game, but I have always perceived Salah as a guy who tries to stay on his feet and keep driving forward. I've brought up before how the league rewards diving by not calling fouls when players stay up instead of throwing themselves to the ground, this hurts players like Salah. Look where Mane is on that chart for comparison, who throws himself to the ground constantly whenever a stiff breeze hits him.
one of the pundits (forgot who) recently said Salah doesn’t get calls because he is a “bad diver”. He didn’t mean that Salah was a repeat diving offender when he said it. He meant Salah was literally bad at diving. It that’s a oerce that is figuring into that too….woof.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Do you understand that you can also look up team stats for context?

Tottenham blocks/90: 0.18
Chelsea blocks/90: 0.17

Arsenal interceptions/90: 0.15
West Ham interceptions/90: 0.17

Stats between most of the teams in the top half of the table are not as different as you seem to think.
This doesn’t mean that those individual player stats say anything about a players ability. Does a player completing more passes mean that he is a better passer? No. He just gets on the ball more. Is a high completion rate an indicator of passing ability? No. Says more about how risky your passes are. Are tackles made a good way to judge a good tackler? No, it says more about how much players take you on. Mustafi made more successful defensive actions Van Dijk in 2018/19 according to almost all of those stats. He had more tackles, interceptions, and all that. Was Mustafi better than Van Dijk at making tackles and interceptions? No.

Most of these stats just simply mean nothing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

And City never had a year under Klopp like LFC had last year

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This doesn’t mean that those individual player stats say anything about a players ability. Does a player completing more passes mean that he is a better passer? No. He just gets on the ball more. Is a high completion rate an indicator of passing ability? No. Says more about how risky your passes are. Are tackles made a good way to judge a good tackler? No, it says more about how much players take you on. Mustafi made more successful defensive actions Van Dijk in 2018/19 according to almost all of those stats. He had more tackles, interceptions, and all that. Was Mustafi better than Van Dijk at making tackles and interceptions? No.

Most of these stats just simply mean nothing.
If you're saying you don't rely on any stats to judge players, which is interesting since you have used stats before when they fit your arguments, we're back to one of my initial questions which you did not answer. What objective method can we use to judge players when people watch them and come to different conclusions?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
If you're saying you don't rely on any stats to judge players, which is interesting since you have used stats before when they fit your arguments, we're back to one of my initial questions which you did not answer. What objective method can we use to judge players when people watch them and come to different conclusions?
Some stats are good. Goals, assists, chances created. That sort. Not stats like "passes completed" because completing a pass isn't always even a good thing.

I do not believe in using just "objective" measures to judge midfielders. Because most stats in the charts you use actually do not represent a players ability. Watch them.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

And City never had a year under Klopp like LFC had last year

I agree with all of this, but three things:

— I am really surprised at the wage figures and how close the wages are.
—Not an excuse and not Liverpool‘s fault, nor Klopp’s fault, but city have definitely overspent on a lot of players. Or actually what I mean to say is the quality for that sort of investment wasn’t there. Again that is not Liverpool‘s fault or Klopp’s, but I think it’s worth noting that it’s not like Guardiola had all the best players because they spent all their money. If you look at their team right now I don’t even think it’s that great.
—Regardless of what Guardiola inherited he made them better. The longevity there is still notable And Guardiola has been successful and proven himself everywhere he’s gone.

Anyway they’re both great managers and still the two best in the game.

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I agree with all of this, but three things:

— I am really surprised at the wage figures and how close the wages are.
—Not an excuse and not Liverpool‘s fault, nor Klopp’s fault, but city have definitely overspent on a lot of players. Or actually what I mean to say is the quality for that sort of investment wasn’t there. Again that is not Liverpool‘s fault or Klopp’s, but I think it’s worth noting that it’s not like Guardiola had all the best players because they spent all their money. If you look at their team right now I don’t even think it’s that great.
—Regardless of what Guardiola inherited he made them better. The longevity there is still notable And Guardiola has been successful and proven himself everywhere he’s gone.

Anyway they’re both great managers and still the two best in the game.

Let's be totally honest about the wages, the City players are getting paid a ton that isn't captured in that wage bill.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Let's be totally honest about the wages, the City players are getting paid a ton that isn't captured in that wage bill.

I don’t know. I do find those figures difficult to believe though in that I would’ve never expected Liverpool‘s wages to be that close to City’s.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Poch took an average Spurs team to the CL final.
If your point was that a rich french team is coached by a... coach, then yes.
I think you missed my point though.
Yes, Spurs had Kane, Son, and Moura. PSG has Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, Spurs had Kane, Son, and Moura. PSG has Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe.
Again, I think you're missing the point?
Is your point that Poch should have done better? Absolutely.
Is your point that Poch has always coached big teams (which is my point with Pep)? Then no.
Is your point that a giant can loose in the CL? Well since Pep hasn't won it with either City or Bayern (that had a treble the year before), my point still stands.
Is your point that PSG is running away with the league as richest? Well yeah, that's also my point with Pep.

Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Again, I think you're missing the point?
Is your point that Poch should have done better? Absolutely.
Is your point that Poch has always coached big teams (which is my point with Pep)? Then no.
Is your point that a giant can loose in the CL? Well since Pep hasn't won it with either City or Bayern (that had a treble the year before), my point still stands.
Is your point that PSG is running away with the league as richest? Well yeah, that's also my point with Pep.

Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
The fourth one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Going to be a bit more interesting with TAA out for a few weeks.

I wonder if they consider moving Tsmikas or Robertson over.
This is what I would de as well. If viable. There’s no backup with Neco at Fulham. Maybe we see some Gomez there but we know that’s not good. Trent injury is one of the two worst case scenarios though. Doesn’t sound like it’ll be TOO bad but you never know.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

The guy manages to be so unlikable on a topic that's almost universally come around. Hope they don't implement it, so he can keep whining about freaking Burnley.

I mean he’s whining about Burnley because it’s dinosaurs like Dyche that are holding it back from happening. He didn’t just pick their name out of a hat. Did it with Wilder at Sheffield too last year. Those guys should have to own their lousy opinion too.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think you guys should get mentally ready for Milner at RB haha
Oh I’m ready but I’m not going to like it. Milner can do it. I don’t think he can do it well any more though. But at least Trent gets some rest

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I don't really get this obstination from smaller team. Running players into the ground would affect them the most, as their subs aren't good enough and injuries to star players can ruin their season (see Leeds, Everton)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't really get this obstination from smaller team. Running players into the ground would affect them the most, as their subs aren't good enough and injuries to star players can ruin their season (see Leeds, Everton)
I could say the same for the "big" clubs like Liverpool. They have such a host of squad advantages over a club like Burnley that they should be able to easily navigate 3 subs versus 5 without whinging atevery opportunity.

Burnley's entire squad doesn't equal Liverpool's outlay for a guy like Keita.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Every other league does this now. It’s so stupid to be against it. Let the “small teams” use it to give minutes to their youth players that then can develop them if they are so worried about it. Honestly I wouldn’t even mind a compromise where at least one of the “extra” subs would have to be for a u23 and/or homegrown player. What Dinosaur Dyche doesn’t realize is that Klopp (for example) doesn’t want the extra subs to show off squad depth. He wants it to have less minutes on his players. The irony of all of this is When it comes to PL owner net worth Liverpool isn’t in the top half to the table last time I checked. So it’s not like these teams CANNOT spend more. They choose not to just as much as the contrary. Not saying FSG are the financial good guys here, but LFC owners have less net worth than teams like Everton, Villa, Wolverhampton, Southampton, Leeds and Palace to name a few.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad