Preferred Outcome for the Pens Pick

Of the two outcomes, which Pens-dependent outcome do you prefer?

• Sharks draft between 11-15 with the Pens 2024 1st round pick

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • Sharks roll into 2025 with the Pens unprotected pick.

Votes: 63 53.8%

• Total voters

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Just looking at the Pens' upcoming schedule, I'm afraid it isn't going to matter what we want. That pick is going to next year unless Dubas does something, uh, unexpected.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm concerned Dubas is gonna make some short term smart moves and they'll be better next year.
I just do not see how he can make the right moves with the lack of cap space and the fact that everyone that is signed beyond this year has a NTC or NMC.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I’d prefer that the pens keep this years pick and we take the lottery ticket that is their pick next year.

- Firstly, Dubas has never shown that he is capable of materially improving a team through his moves. The Leafs, and now the Penguins, did not show notable improvement during his tenure.
- Next year’s Penguins are just one serious injury away from being at the bottom of the standings; they have no internal solutions to losing Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, or Letang waiting I the wings.
- Even with $9M-ish in cap space the Penguins need to replace Guentzel just to get back to the level of this year’s roster, let alone get actually better. Like my first point, Dubas’ UFA signings have failed to fundamentally solve the flaws of his teams; I see no reason to expect differently this time
- Even if the Penguins somehow finish in the high teens or low twenties in the draft, GMMG can always package the Sharks early 2nd and the Penguins mid/late 1st to get into the top half of the first if that’s what he wants to do
- Considering my last point, that it should be easy enough to turn next years Penguins pick into a 10-15 selection in next years draft, I’d want the upside chance that the Penguins completely shit the bed next season. Combined with the Sharks already high pick, the potential to get multiple picks in the top 5 is exactly the type of outcomes this team should be chasing.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I just do not see how he can make the right moves with the lack of cap space and the fact that everyone that is signed beyond this year has a NTC or NMC.
Carter come off the cap + cap goes up. What would a team give up for ~9th overall package? Assuming the Pens go for an established player.

Zegras? Keller/Schmaltz? Norris? I dunno what Dubas has for marching orders but that low of a pick could get a decent player.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Carter come off the cap + cap goes up. What would a team give up for ~9th overall package? Assuming the Pens go for an established player.

Zegras? Keller/Schmaltz? Norris? I dunno what Dubas has for marching orders but that low of a pick could get a decent player.
We've really gotta get to the bottom of whether the pick is tradable or not. I'm under the impression from the Athletic and this board that if they keep it they can't trade it. I still think he'd try to flip the prospect for a now player.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Can't be unhappy if it's next year but would prefer it this year - the hype train would speed up with another top pick.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
We've really gotta get to the bottom of whether the pick is tradable or not. I'm under the impression from the Athletic and this board that if they keep it they can't trade it. I still think he'd try to flip the prospect for a now player.

I believe the Sharks can trade the pick, but it's probably not for the Pens until the condition gets resolved.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
My preference is this year and even more so if they land Celebrini since they could then walk away with 1 of the 6 top D.

If they don’t will the lottery the can grab Levshunov and it might be better to wait till next year.

I really want them to walk away with a top pairing D prospect for this draft.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The pick is tradeable for the Penguins under the correct conditions. At this stage, the pick is top ten protected with an option. I don't believe that option needs to be selected until either after the lottery or just before the draft but I don't see any specifics on that aspect of it. Last year, the lottery was May 8th and the draft was June 28th. If the option needs to be decided upon just after the lottery, the pick will either be tradeable for the Pens or transferred to us. If it's just prior to the draft then they can make a trade based on that condition being met or not.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
The pick is tradeable for the Penguins under the correct conditions. At this stage, the pick is top ten protected with an option. I don't believe that option needs to be selected until either after the lottery or just before the draft but I don't see any specifics on that aspect of it. Last year, the lottery was May 8th and the draft was June 28th. If the option needs to be decided upon just after the lottery, the pick will either be tradeable for the Pens or transferred to us. If it's just prior to the draft then they can make a trade based on that condition being met or not.
This is where there's a lot of noise. Per Grier, the Pens have 24h post lottery to decide to keep or give to us. Per The Athletic, they have 72 hours post lottery. So either way, it's immediately after the lottery that they have to decide. Per The Athletic, the pick is not tradeable if they keep it, they have to use it. That's the part I'm not sure about because journalists have said it's not tradeable, you're saying it is, others have said both.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is where there's a lot of noise. Per Grier, the Pens have 24h post lottery to decide to keep or give to us. Per The Athletic, they have 72 hours post lottery. So either way, it's immediately after the lottery that they have to decide. Per The Athletic, the pick is not tradeable if they keep it, they have to use it. That's the part I'm not sure about because journalists have said it's not tradeable, you're saying it is, others have said both.
It makes no sense that they would have to use it under that scenario. In that scenario, if they keep it, we're getting the 2025 1st round pick of the Penguins so that 2024 pick should be theirs to either use at the draft or trade it elsewhere.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
It makes no sense that they would have to use it under that scenario. In that scenario, if they keep it, we're getting the 2025 1st round pick of the Penguins so that 2024 pick should be theirs to either use at the draft or trade it elsewhere.
I'm not saying it makes sense. I'm saying that some journalists have reported that the pick is not tradable. Either they are wrong, or they are right. You think they are wrong because it makes no sense, I would like to know the answer either way.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not saying it makes sense. I'm saying that some journalists have reported that the pick is not tradable. Either they are wrong, or they are right. You think they are wrong because it makes no sense, I would like to know the answer either way.
Go tweet at Sheng. He may be able to dig into that.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
let me lay out a scenario for you guys. Let's say the Pens finish at 11th in the 24 draft. Does the sharks take over the draft pick at that point and do the lottery? or does the lottery goes before the sharks get their hand on the Pen's 1st round pick?

It is important because if the Sharks Win the lottery for 1st overall and also win the Pens pick, they pick 1st and 2nd in the upcoming draft. Wouldn't that be something?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
let me lay out a scenario for you guys. Let's say the Pens finish at 11th in the 24 draft. Does the sharks take over the draft pick at that point and do the lottery? or does the lottery goes before the sharks get their hand on the Pen's 1st round pick?

It is important because if the Sharks Win the lottery for 1st overall and also win the Pens pick, they pick 1st and 2nd in the upcoming draft. Wouldn't that be something?
The pens get to decide to keep it or not, after the lottery.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California

Pens get to decide after the lottery. If they end winning the lottery we will get the 25 1st.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The lotto results happen before we get the pick. Unfortunately, we cannot get 1st and 2nd in 2024 with the Pens pick. However, if it rolls into 2025, that's a possibility.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad