Seravalli: Predators’ Mattias Ekholm “Available”

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Esko nails this and I've been saying this for a while now. Without elite level talent up front, teams don't win Cups. In 40 years as a GM, Poile has never drafted an elite level/HOF forward. It doesn't matter if you have a top 5 pick or not, teams find gems outside of the top 5 and even after the first round. Poile with all his years and wisdom has never found that secret sauce.

SD, even if Hynes could incorporate the young players into the mix, they're ceiling is either good to great, it won't be elite. I have enjoyed watching Glass, Parssinen and Novak play and they have injected some talent but at the end of the day, it won't be enough.

There is one caveat you can find enough quality talent to play up and down your lineup to make up for the lack of elite players at the top. You have your three top lines that are all essentially 2nd line talents and your fourth line is a third line. It may tip the scale enough to counter balance the lack of elite talent. What I view Poile does is build two solid second lines as his top two lines and builds conventional third and fourth lines and that is never enough talent to go all the way.

FYI, go back to when Poile was the GM in DC and look at the '91 draft. He had two late firsts and an early second. See the guys he picked and see all the guys who got picked before and after some of his picks. A few pretty good players left on the table.
Parsinnen may be that elite forward found in later rounds...he's scoring at nearly a 50 pt per season pace as a 21 year old in his first season in North America.

Also Tomasino and maybe Evangelista have good chances of becoming very good to elite players

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Ekholm
Tomasino

To Nashville-
Kerfoot
Sandin
Robertson
1st Round Pick

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ekholm + Jeannot

Knies + 2023 1st + 2024 1st + Niemela
That would at least make me pause and consider… but ultimately the Preds are going to prioritize making the playoffs. Even if just barely and even if it doesn’t seem likely they could win a round. So unless they get closer to being mathematically eliminated by the trade deadline, then Ekholm and Jeannot simply will not be available, period.

So there’s really not much point in asking about these guys.

Reactions: Armourboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad