GDT: Pre Super Bowl Casual Skate (SJ @ CAR)

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Nothing about Ryan’s game or physical stature suggests we would want him in that role either, but here we are :sarcasm:
I can't really blame too much on Ryan. You've got one guy on that line who wants to be defensively responsible, but isn't physically capable all the time.

In Skinner and Stempniak, you've got two guys who have very little interest in defense (my theory is that Peters forced Jeff's hand last season) and when their offense isn't going, they spend a lot of time on the ice not knowing exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It's clear where the problem lies with regards to the last two games...the game day thread titles. "detroit does carolina", yep they did. "Pre Super Bowl Casual Skate", yep they skated like there was not urgency.

We need whoever starts the next GDT to bring a more energetic and positive title. It needs to start on time. Don't let the room down guys.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
It's clear where the problem lies with regards to the last two games...the game day thread titles. "detroit does carolina", yep they did. "Pre Super Bowl Casual Skate", yep they skated like there was not urgency.

We need whoever starts the next GDT to bring a more energetic and positive title. It needs to start on time. Don't let the room down guys.
I think we found a solution- we will never lose again

Reactions: Unsustainable

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

I mean...ya'll could've used my thread. Blame yourselves.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I can't really blame too much on Ryan. You've got one guy on that line who wants to be defensively responsible, but isn't physically capable all the time.

In Skinner and Stempniak, you've got two guys who have very little interest in defense (my theory is that Peters forced Jeff's hand last season) and when their offense isn't going, they spend a lot of time on the ice not knowing exactly what they're supposed to be doing.

That line has been a dumpster fire for some time now. I'll be shocked if Peters puts them on the ice together on Tuesday. I don't really know where they should be slotted honestly.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That line has been a dumpster fire for some time now. I'll be shocked if Peters put them on the ice together on Tuesday. I don't really know where they should be slotted honestly.

That's the problem. If Peters is firm with having Ryan with Skinner, then that line will be a dumpster fire in it's own zone no matter which RW you put on it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Well now you've done it.

"Darling's sister roasts Canes internet fan board on Twitter

RALEIGH Buffalo Sabers may suck, but yesterday the suckers were the questionable group of internet trolls on HFBoards Man-Datory, when..."

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Skinner’s best linemate was Cole. Seriously. They worked very well together. Then he played well with the Finns, but I thought it was a small step back. I think he creates his own problems most of the time. His puck management is somehow getting worse. It’s like his stick is slippery. You see him consistently lose the puck in places Nordstrom has no problem keeping it. I’ve said it a few times this year, but last years forechecking puck hound still hasn’t shown up. I would show him some video of himself outworking defenseman and stealing pucks they had full control of for an hour.

He’s the polar opposite of McGinn. That guy obsessively takes care of the puck, stays within his game and almost always makes the right choice. I also like how he always shoots as hard as he can, every chance he has to shoot. I call that being the anti-Lindy. TT and Lindy are the most frustrating to me. Skinner is Skinner, he’ll turn a corner and score 20 in 20. I can’t trade him without him seeing a playoff. TT and Lindy are so hot and cold, it drives me nuts. It’s hard to pick one to keep over the other at times, I usually think Lindy because I always favor our picks. TT shoots way better but is always a perimeter player whereas Lindy is capable of being pesky and physical.

I think part of the issue up front is the top six winger mix of Skinner/Aho/TT/Lindy. They are all similar players in style and size. I know they get mixed up on other lines but they are our top 4. Why do you think McGinn looks so good? He watches whatever these guys do and generally does the opposite. We needed an upgrade in skill, so I get why we did it but adding TT and then Aho showing up put it over the top. At least one, if not two of them needs to be a bigs who can score. We’re too small and weak.

Maybe the guys don’t listen to Peters anymore but he gave a minor league team a system that gave us some shape and were more fun to watch than the previous team. If he has to go fine, but I’m not sure there’s anyone else that can make these guys look good. Not enough makeup for that pig. As Peters says himself, if this group doesn’t play smart and give 100% all game they don’t stand a chance.

I would try Lindy at center again, he’s just not a winger to me. Give him someone stronger to fight all those battles and change the winger mix up some. It’s also time for Zykov to get 10-20 games. Wallmark deserves a longer look, though he looked pretty bad his last game or two. Foegele is fine with me, though maybe him playing top minutes down there will better for him. If JR will trade something decent for Ryan so be it (I hate selling this low on Rask) not to pin it on Ryan but giving someone else that spot would give us fresh blood and we have Lindy, Wallmark and arguably Aho to try. Mckeown deserves a shot too.

Ps. Like someone else said I found Luke’s article to be spot on, and painful.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Side note, I think it has to be acknowledged that switching the defensive mix from Hainsey to Fleury while giving Hanifin far more responsibility has been painful. We aren’t as good defensively as we were last year it seems. Take away 75% of Hanifin’s brain farts and Fleury’s rookie mistakes and I can’t help but wonder where we would be. These are growing pains you assume will pay off but to me there’s a pretty notable drop off from last year. The other “vets” seem overwhelmed with the compensation required of them.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Side note, I think it has to be acknowledged that switching the defensive mix from Hainsey to Fleury while giving Hanifin far more responsibility has been painful. We aren’t as good defensively as we were last year it seems. Take away 75% of Hanifin’s brain farts and Fleury’s rookie mistakes and I can’t help but wonder where we would be. These are growing pains you assume will pay off but to me there’s a pretty notable drop off from last year. The other “vets” seem overwhelmed with the compensation required of them.

The PK misses Hainsey badly. 5 on 5 though, he was atrocious.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Every year, not just this year. Sekera is the only guy who has ever played well with him.

Faulk is so unpredictable with what he'll do next, that I'm sure it can be a nightmare to play with him. What's this guy gonna do, make a bad pass, fire it off to a corner with no one, skate it in himself, pinch when he shouldn't, coast around as if the play is over, etc etc. Where's his head at some nights? Who the f*** knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00