Pre-season Games

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I just don’t know who people think is going to get the puck in the zone and feed these wingers.

Zetterberg is on borrowed time. Larkin has looked like anything but a setup guy so far.

The puck posesssion players (Dats and Z) were the engine to this team the last 10 years. Having Franzen or Holmstrom without those guys is cool, but it’s secondary.

I’m not saying there was a Dats or Z level guy we could have drafted... but we need to start stockpiling skilled playmakers (preferably centers) with puck skills real soon here or we will have wingers and no one getting them the puck. I mean the last Center we drafted in the first 2 rounds that was considered to be a playmaker and have plus puck skills was who... Calle Jarnkrok? What was that... 7 years ago?

Mantha can pass the puck well and sees the ice well. Not sure there’s that many other guys who are exceptional in that area. Nyquist can be when he has time/space. Svech is good there in the AHL, but he still seems a little rough, and it’s hard to know what we have there at the pro level.

The moment we lost Holmstrom and Franzen's concussion issues killed his power forward potential we lost a ton of grit and scoring around the crease. Couple that with Lids retiring and not even Z and D still playing at a high level could make this team look like it had an identity or even a cohesive style of play. We've not had a legit power forward for a long time. I'd say a lot of our offensive struggles are due to that fact.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The moment we lost Holmstrom and Franzen's concussion issues killed his power forward potential we lost a ton of grit and scoring around the crease. Couple that with Lids retiring and not even Z and D still playing at a high level could make this team look like it had an identity or even a cohesive style of play. We've not had a legit power forward for a long time. I'd say a lot of our offensive struggles are due to that fact.

No the offensive struggles have been fundamentally an issue starting on the back end. The team hasn't had anyone on the back end with high end abilities in years and that is when the slide began. You can have a team of Franzens, with out a Rafalski or Lidstrom putting the puck where it needs to be they are useless.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No the offensive struggles have been fundamentally an issue starting on the back end. The team hasn't had anyone on the back end with high end abilities in years and that is when the slide began. You can have a team of Franzens, with out a Rafalski or Lidstrom putting the puck where it needs to be they are useless.

Ras was the highest goal scoring Red Wing and was top 3 in his draft class this pre-season and he didn't have Rafalski and Lidstrom. And he certainly wasn't useless. Ras is going to be way more than just a Franzen or a Holmstrom.

Ras is going to be a legit top 2 center in the league. He's going to score lots of goals and other teams are going to despise his playing style and 'try' to contain him.

I just don’t know who people think is going to get the puck in the zone and feed these wingers.

Zetterberg is on borrowed time. Larkin has looked like anything but a setup guy so far.

The puck posesssion players (Dats and Z) were the engine to this team the last 10 years. Having Franzen or Holmstrom without those guys is cool, but it’s secondary.

I’m not saying there was a Dats or Z level guy we could have drafted... but we need to start stockpiling skilled playmakers (preferably centers) with puck skills real soon here or we will have wingers and no one getting them the puck. I mean the last Center we drafted in the first 2 rounds that was considered to be a playmaker and have plus puck skills was who... Calle Jarnkrok? What was that... 7 years ago?

Mantha can pass the puck well and sees the ice well. Not sure there’s that many other guys who are exceptional in that area. Nyquist can be when he has time/space. Svech is good there in the AHL, but he still seems a little rough, and it’s hard to know what we have there at the pro level.

Good thing 2017 wasn't the last draft pick Wings will ever get. You don't make a complete rebuild in 1 year. You just don't.

As you said: "There’s 100 reasons teams pass on players.", maybe this was true when Detroit (and half of everyone else) passed on the players everyone here wanted KH to pick. While this camp/pre-season was a small sample size, it is starting to show just maybe KH wasn't a complete moron for making the selection he made. Just maybe he did, in fact, pick the better player. So far it's looking like he picked a very good player; type of player Red Wings desperately need... regardless how any of the others turn out.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You cannot use any kind of production in a few preseason games as an indicator of how he is going to do over the course of one season, let alone multiple seasons.

Why do you think the team has nose dived offensively? Other than 2014-15, the team hasn't been in the top half of the league in goals scored since Lidstrom retired, the last two being in the bottom 10.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Rasmussen has very raw playmaking instincts, and that's quite polite.

He'll make it as a top 6 centre if surrounded by an elite playmaking winger (e.g. Kane), good luck finding one of those though.

Rasmussen does have nice touch around the net. That high slot deflected goal is an advanced move for an 18 year old.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You cannot use any kind of production in a few preseason games as an indicator of how he is going to do over the course of one season, let alone multiple seasons.

Why do you think the team has nose dived offensively? Other than 2014-15, the team hasn't been in the top half of the league in goals scored since Lidstrom retired, the last two being in the bottom 10.

If your argument is Wings need an elite/franchise #1 PMD who can move the puck flawlessly and a shot like a cannon, then I agree. That player wasn't available in 2017.

Since that player wasn't available, Ken Holland took the next best thing; a big top 6 scoring center who's amazing at FO and has the potential to dominate games. No, he's not Datsyuk.

He'll make it as a top 6 centre if surrounded by an elite playmaking winger (e.g. Kane), good luck finding one of those though.

Rasmussen does have nice touch around the net. That high slot deflected goal is an advanced move for an 18 year old.

May as well keep Abdelkader on the 1st line then, huh?

Also, watching his TC camp, Ras has showed some brilliant playmaking skills that didn't show up on the scoreboard. I think he's going to prove underrated in that department. His hockey IQ and skating ability also stood out to me.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good thing 2017 wasn't the last draft pick Wings will ever get. You don't make a complete rebuild in 1 year. You just don't.

As you said: "There’s 100 reasons teams pass on players.", maybe this was true when Detroit (and half of everyone else) passed on the players everyone here wanted KH to pick. While this camp/pre-season was a small sample size, it is starting to show just maybe KH wasn't a complete moron for making the selection he made. Just maybe he did, in fact, pick the better player. So far it's looking like he picked a very good player; type of player Red Wings desperately need... regardless how any of the others turn out.

Yeah, I get that. If their thought process was that Rasmussen was more likely to become a 20-25 goal two way center, than Necas and Vilardi are to become 40-50 assist playmakers, then I can kind of understand that.

But at some point we have to swing for the fences with our high picks a little more, particularly with centers, and we need to re-focus on puck possession players... really think we have gotten away from that a little here lately.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You're all over the place on this one. It comes across like you'll say anything to be able to declare this one a win. Rasmussen being pro-ready says very little about how good this pick is. Vilardi being hurt right now (and probably not pro-ready) says very little about how good that pick is. And Cody Glass, Pettersson, Necas, etc.

Players being NHL-ready sooner isn't a good criterion for how good a player is. That actually cuts against Rasmussen more than it helps him, because it's highly likely he's a high floor, low ceiling type player. He's big, strong, and doesn't have to be skilled with the puck to be effective (which is good, because he's not). But is he going to become skilled? I guess we'll see. The other guys are skilled and have yet to become big and strong. I know which one I'd prefer, but Rasmussen is the guy we've got. There's nothing else to do. But I have no idea how you're declaring that a win for Rasmussen over the other prospects. He's doing the only thing he can do: he's showing he has a high floor.

And I still think Ras is way worse than Necas.
I've not declared it a "win". Ras is doing well. Better than expected if you were to believe the opinion of this board (including the main board here) on him as a zero skill grinder who only scored goals in junior because of his size. That's all, and it could be the start of a season where he proves some doubters wrong.
Now sure, maybe Vilardi turns into Gretzky 2.0 and Necas becomes Datsyuk 1.5, but let's be real; if Rasmussen had incredible puck skills and playmaking to go along with his already terrific two-way game, faceoffs, size and net-frong ability he would have been a top 1 pick not a top 10 pick. He was available to us because he has flaws or things to work on and those two guys were drafted later because they have flaws too. If Necas/Vilardi were more than longshots to become top 6 centers they would have been drafted earlier, that much is pretty hard to even debate.
And just like Necas etc, he can get stronger (a lot stronger with that kind of frame), he can get smarter, he can get faster, he can adapt to the pro pace.. it's well known big guys are actually often late bloomers so I don't know why so many think he's supposed to be someone who is already close to his ceiling. It'll be years before we know the results of the '17 draft, but just this kind of pre-season performance is kind of a slap in the face of the people who have called him low-ceiling.

We do.

-People who watch hockey for the entertainment value
A team of 12 Rasmussens might be boring. But 1 Rasmussen mixed in with Athanasiou/Mantha/Nyquist/Tatar/Larkin/Bertuzzi, maybe throw in another top 10 pick or two such as Svechnikov or Dahlin, some d-men like Hronek/Cholowski/Saarijarvi/Hicketts/etc, a goalie like Mrazek.. ? Having Rasmussen around to win faceoffs, board battles and score a lot of "ugly" goals could be pretty neat.

However, I really think that by getting a guy like Rasmussen who can take that role and look to be defensively responsible as well, you let Mantha, Svech, and others develop into the playmakers and the guys who go get the puck and hang onto the puck. You're no longer tempted to waste a Mantha on net front duties because he's 6'5", you're able to let him roam around and do more of what he did in juniors offensively when he filled the score sheet up like crazy.
Yep. Rasmussen centering skilled wingers like Mantha/Svech/Nyquist/Tatar/AA is a very nice thought.

First and foremost is that the Wings are loaded with big players who project to play wing, and I have a feeling when its all said and done he converts to wing. Second, he's not been the guy at the levels he's played at to carry play. The Wings need play makers centers worse than anything right now. Third, this was a draft that they could have taken a risk and it wouldn't be unforgivable, why? Because it was a shallow draft and there were a lot of high ceiling moderate to high risk guys. This pick is the type of pick that is made when a GM believes the year was a one off bad year and wants someone who is a lock for the NHL. It is not a pick a team with a long rebuild ahead would make.
1. Ras already looks great on faceoffs and with his two-way game. I'd say he looks like a VERY safe bet to make it as a C.
2. Wings need a lot of things. It doesn't really matter if Necas is more of a playmaker if our scouts believe Ras can be a #2C who scores 25+25 and Necas will be a middle-6 winger or a #3C that scores 15+25 or something.
3. Rasmussen wasn't a risk? He's arguably the most controversial pick of the 1st round. Wings gambled on him being more than just a big guy. People just hate the pick because it's not the kind of risk they wanted to take. Also, Ras isn't making the NHL this year and wasn't picked to do it. Like Necas/Vilardi he's likely 1-2 years away. The theory that he was drafted to be a quick fix doesn't hold up to any scrutiny, especially with Cholowski over Chychrun being the choice just one year earlier.
I saw him make quite a few nice passes. He'll never be Datsyuk/Thornton but I think he could have more playmaking in him than he has shown so far in his junior career.

Last edited:

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Where was this line of thinking when the Red Wings passed on Chychrun and took Cholo and Hronek? Two players with vastly higher ceilings?

FWIW I think Cychryun has the highest ceiling of those 3 players

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I see a lot of debate over Rasmussen.

to be honest its all a moot point to me. Detroit picked Rasmussen... he is our guy now.

From what I have seen from Rasmussen, would we be happy if he turned into a Martin Hanzal?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
FWIW I think Cychryun has the highest ceiling of those 3 players
Had the highest floor that's for sure, but you can certainly have that opinion. When they're done developing we can talk about how right we are.
I see a lot of debate over Rasmussen.

to be honest its all a moot point to me. Detroit picked Rasmussen... he is our guy now.

From what I have seen from Rasmussen, would we be happy if he turned into a Martin Hanzal?
That depends, Hanzal type production or never on the ice. I'd expect his goal totals to be higher than his assist totals but if we could get that type of production out of Ras each season it'd be an great - especially if he's a great 2 way guy. But if he were to play as much as Hazal people wouldn't be pleased in the end.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Well obviously i meant Hanzal's production, Large C who throws some hits, good on FO's, good all around player, some offense, but doesn't excel in any one category. i.e. a strong overall NHL player.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I've always liked Hanzel, always wished he played for the Wings. But I hope Ras has more to him. But for a 9th pick in a weak draft, that would be great in the grand scheme of things.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

That's what I said. It was a combination of both. Even when we still had elite playmakers near the top of their game it was a big problem. It's not just one thing that this team needs most.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, I get that. If their thought process was that Rasmussen was more likely to become a 20-25 goal two way center, than Necas and Vilardi are to become 40-50 assist playmakers, then I can kind of understand that.

But at some point we have to swing for the fences with our high picks a little more, particularly with centers, and we need to re-focus on puck possession players... really think we have gotten away from that a little here lately.

Haven't you heard anything that Andersson, Wright or Holland said after the 2017 draft ?

We need to re-focus.... they already have informed us about that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Haven't you heard anything that Andersson, Wright or Holland said after the 2017 draft ?

We need to re-focus.... they already have informed us about that.

I want them to show me Henkka, not tell me ;)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Ugh. I still hate how people can talk like they KNOW what Rasmussen can be....and also talk like the Wings scouts KNOW that he'll never be that good but took him anyway.

If taking a guy who we KNOW has the genetics to be a dominating physical force if he develops his game isn't "swinging for the fences", I don't know what is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ugh. I still hate how people can talk like they KNOW what Rasmussen can be....and also talk like the Wings scouts KNOW that he'll never be that good but took him anyway.

If taking a guy who we KNOW has the genetics to be a dominating physical force if he develops his game isn't "swinging for the fences", I don't know what is.

That can be your interpretation of what I said, but that's not anything I actually said (especially not that second part of the first sentence).

Also, tons of guys have been dominating physical forces and not dominant hockey players.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The first part wasn't directed at you....just in general. I did that wrong, sorry.

But yeah...all of these guys are prospects. Every one has issues. Every one develops differently. Every one sees their games differently. The one thing that doesn't change (for the most part) is size. We got the guy with size. Sounds like the definition of "swinging for the fences" to me

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The first part wasn't directed at you....just in general. I did that wrong, sorry.

But yeah...all of these guys are prospects. Every one has issues. Every one develops differently. Every one sees their games differently. The one thing that doesn't change (for the most part) is size. We got the guy with size. Sounds like the definition of "swinging for the fences" to me

Fair enough.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
One other thought re Rasmussen. Maybe the wings selected him because although there were more creative forwards in the draft, once you got past Hischier and Pettersson, none of the centers obviously looked better than the usual creative centers you find in the top 20 of most good-ish draft years, whereas for a goalscoring big guy with a responsible game Rasmussen offered more than is usually the case outside of a top 5 pick?

In that, although his skill level is not on a par of many others in the top 15, for a package of size, goalscoring and positional maturity he perhaps represented a rarer package?

Ultimately, it will take miraculous improvements for this team to not enter into the draft lottery 2-3 times over the next 5 years, and there is a good chance of a better playmaking center available to us with those picks than was on the table this year, but not so much chance of a 6-6 and growing goalscorer with who can potentially play a 200 foot game.

I would have been tempted to take a couple that were taken after him in the draft (though all the ones I was really excited by had gone), but Rasmussen's potential and mix of attributes is quite a rare combo.

And of course his pre-season showing does suggest that he has the intelligence to flourish with better players that not all players do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad