Pre-season Games

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
considering being a big guy that does simple things around the net is essentially Rasmussen's only skill it would be pretty concerning if he COULDN'T get a few garbage goals in the preseason
He also has played well defensively, and outscored our entire team while being a rookie. Goals are goals I dont care if they are highlight real snipes or a tip in.

You thinking it would be concerning for a kid to NOT outscore seasoned pros is kind of ridiculous.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Nice win tonight. Little Lorito gets it done. Not sure if he'll make the roster. 13th forward maybe.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Does anybody think Rasmussen should start in the AHL already? I think he can.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't have an issue with him staying in junys for another season. He is young and the team is not very far along in the rebuild. Might as well take an extra season to let him hone his skills, then start using them against progressively more difficult competition. Not "overripe", but not rushing him, either.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He cannot, based on the NHL-CHL rules as per the CBA. He has to be 20 years old in order to be in the AHL, otherwise he either has to stay with Detroit or he has to go back to the Tri-City Americans in the WHL. Foreign-born players who are imported into the CHL or are loaned to the CHL from other countries, I believe, can bypass this. Otherwise, everyone else has to go back to their respective junior or college team.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
18-year olds preseason stats:

1. Nico Hischier 4+3=7 (4 games)
2. Kailer Yamamoto 5+1=6 (5 games)
3. M.Rasmussen 4+0=4 ( 5 games)
4. Nolan Patrick 0+3=3 (6 games)
5. Cody Glass 0+2=2 (2 games)
6. Lias Andersson 0+2=2 (4 games)

(Necas 0+1, Tippet 0+1)
Mittelstadt and Vilardi of 2017 draftees haven't played, Petterson either.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hischier is a joy to watch.

Fell in love with him at the world juniors, he's the closest thing to Datsyuk I've seen in a while in terms of the ability to work in tight quarters, make slick passes and steal the puck from nowhere.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I went into pre-season stats expecting to see rasmussen having very high SH%, i was very wrong. His shooting percentage is at 10%, he and Saad are the only ones that have below 20% in SH% in the top 10.

Now this doesn't say all too much, but he definately hasn't just gotten a few lucky goals that should be brushed off as just pure luck, he actually has had decent shot generation this pre-season. I'm glad that he's doing well and hopefully he actually pans out as a solid center for us, a center at that size that also can produce is very rare and he'll bring more that just scoring. That said, he was probably one of the most mature players of the draft and he won't be developing as much as guys like Necas, Vilardi and liljegren since they are very unpolished while Rasmussen is quite a polished player so this pre-season has no indication of whether or not KH and crew drafted the right guy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
considering being a big guy that does simple things around the net is essentially Rasmussen's only skill it would be pretty concerning if he COULDN'T get a few garbage goals in the preseason
What does that say about the guys that are supposed to be much more skilled but either got cut way earlier or have produced less? If Rasmussen scores at a 60 goal pace I could care less if that's his only skill.

(Necas 0+1, Tippet 0+1)
Looking like a terrible draft pick so far.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

(Necas 0+1, Tippet 0+1)

The only guy I had interest in (who I thought we had a slim chance at getting before lottery) was Elias Pettersson (C/LW). He went #5. But the other guys (Vilardi,Necas) I had no interest in.

Glad we got Ras. He's truly going to be a good one.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What does that say about the guys that are supposed to be much more skilled but either got cut way earlier or have produced less? If Rasmussen scores at a 60 goal pace I could care less if that's his only skill.

that he's more ready?

it's literally his selling point....

the argument was always that that was a stupid selling point to use a top 10 pick on

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

It doesn't say anything about anyone. Yamamoto isn't going to score 70 goals this season either and nothing he did this preseason shows he should've been drafted over anyone else.

Reactions: TheMule93

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

(Necas 0+1, Tippet 0+1)

This certainly illustrates that it is a small sample size and that there's nothing really worth reading into yet. That said, I hope for the best for him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It doesn't say anything about anyone. Yamamoto isn't going to score 70 goals this season either and nothing he did this preseason shows he should've been drafted over anyone else.
Thank you. Finally this board is starting to realize you judge a draft pick years after the draft, not the day after. Where was this "wait and see" attitude the last 3 months though when the talk was all about Ras being talentless and way, way worse than Necas and others?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny thing is that Rasmussen was 4+0, when Sheahan was 0+0.

Also Rasmussen has won 54.9% of preseason faceoffs. Sheahan did won 45.7%. Especially the Hawks game was impressive, when Toews and Anisimov couldn't handle against him.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
that he's more ready?

it's literally his selling point....

the argument was always that that was a stupid selling point to use a top 10 pick on

Yes and more mature. But that doesn't mean he has less upside. Watching him in action actually proves he has a lot more upside + is already a great goal scorer. One thing about his game is most of his goals won't be played at the end of the week on the "highlight goal of the week" show. But who really cares? They all count the same.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ras has looked fine this preseason, but remember that he played against teams mostly made up of non-NHL talent. His next season in the CHL will be far more important in judging his progression than 5 preseason games.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Thank you. Finally this board is starting to realize you judge a draft pick years after the draft, not the day after. Where was this "wait and see" attitude the last 3 months though when the talk was all about Ras being talentless and way, way worse than Necas and others?
You're all over the place on this one. It comes across like you'll say anything to be able to declare this one a win. Rasmussen being pro-ready says very little about how good this pick is. Vilardi being hurt right now (and probably not pro-ready) says very little about how good that pick is. And Cody Glass, Pettersson, Necas, etc.

Players being NHL-ready sooner isn't a good criterion for how good a player is. That actually cuts against Rasmussen more than it helps him, because it's highly likely he's a high floor, low ceiling type player. He's big, strong, and doesn't have to be skilled with the puck to be effective (which is good, because he's not). But is he going to become skilled? I guess we'll see. The other guys are skilled and have yet to become big and strong. I know which one I'd prefer, but Rasmussen is the guy we've got. There's nothing else to do. But I have no idea how you're declaring that a win for Rasmussen over the other prospects. He's doing the only thing he can do: he's showing he has a high floor.

And I still think Ras is way worse than Necas.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Players being NHL-ready sooner isn't a good criterion for how good a player is. That actually cuts against Rasmussen more than it helps him, because it's highly likely he's a high floor, low ceiling type player.

Where was this line of thinking when the Red Wings passed on Chychrun and took Cholo and Hronek? Two players with vastly higher ceilings?

Reactions: BinCookin

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Thank you. Finally this board is starting to realize you judge a draft pick years after the draft, not the day after.

Everyone realizes that.

Where was this "wait and see" attitude the last 3 months though when the talk was all about Ras being talentless and way, way worse than Necas and others?

Why should there be? Seems like if we can be happy enough to get excited about a couple pre-season games, we can be free to judge picks based on the scouting reports we've read and the prospect rankings and articles that were read prior to the draft. Rasmussen wasn't seen as a top 10 pick and other players the Wings passed on were. It's only natural people are going to come to some sort of conclusion about whether or not they liked the pick at the time.

Winnipeg Jets fans didn't like the Scheifele pick at the time, but he turned out great. Hopefully that happens with Rasmussen. But I'm not going to denigrate people who are unhappy about a draft pick and then change their mind slightly later, I'd rather not be that self righteous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad