GDT: pre-season games - Winning streak does not not end today - 5 PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Just to add a different perspective, I don't really agree with Duck Off that the defense was terrible as a hole. I thought they were pretty effective. The shot differential could have been much much worse. Despres and Vatanen were bad, but in general I thought the breakout issue was on the forwards. Frequently the defenseman would be double- or triple-teamed by the forecheckers and left without a passing option or anything in the way of support.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
So what was the issue with Despres? What's his deal on the ice right now?

And is Vatanen still looking like he did at the World Cup?

Depres was tentative and frankly looked lost out there. Far from his assertive and aggressive best we've seen. May be some of it is a new system with a new coach, but because the same asst coach is coaching the defense, I don't think there is a lot of excuse there.

And yes, Vats looked just like he did at the WCOH. He's sluggish, both afoot and mentally. His passes were a tick slow, which hurt the timing of the breakout and crispness while in the zone. It allowed the defenders to get in his passing lanes, and to be on the pass recipients. Very, very disappointing for a player that should be a step ahead of the others that didn't participate in the international tournament.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
despres and bieksa need to go....i know thats no surprise to anyone, but it has to happen.

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
I wouldn't worry about Vatanen. He played like this last preseason and then turned it on once season started. I'm more concerned about Despres. Seems like he's picked up where he left off, hope he can get his game back or look to move him before loses value.

Ritchie looks better, especially with the twins. Not quite ready, but with the lack of LW depth, he's gonna stick.

Bernier's been solid and that's good after reading what Leafs fans had to say, but then again some are already kicking Freddie to the curb. Hasn't played his best, but its a new team with a defense that look like Bieksa's & Stoners out there....

This team is going to sacrifice a young D-man for some scoring help. Unless a Sorensen or Ritchie have break out years & our scorers having strong numbers, we're going to rely heavily on our goaltending to keep us in games.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I wouldn't worry about Vatanen. He played like this last preseason and then turned it on once season started. I'm more concerned about Despres. Seems like he's picked up where he left off, hope he can get his game back or look to move him before loses value.

Ritchie looks better, especially with the twins. Not quite ready, but with the lack of LW depth, he's gonna stick.

Bernier's been solid and that's good after reading what Leafs fans had to say, but then again some are already kicking Freddie to the curb. Hasn't played his best, but its a new team with a defense that look like Bieksa's & Stoners out there....

This team is going to sacrifice a young D-man for some scoring help. Unless a Sorensen or Ritchie have break out years & our scorers having strong numbers, we're going to rely heavily on our goaltending to keep us in games.
I've been amazed by Toronto fans' failure to recognize talent, and lack thereof, for like 20 years. These people booed Larry Murphy out of town, of all people, before he finished off his HOF career with some huge years and a couple Cups in Detroit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
In highlights I didn`t notice Sharks bigger stars, were they playing with their B lineup?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I liked Silfverberg with Vermette, I wonder if we could see a third line of Cogs - Vermette - Silfverberg which may free up Kesler a bit to play with a more offensively creative player in Rakell.

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Perry
Rakell - Kesler - ??
Cogs - Vermette - Silfverberg

I have no idea who the other winger on the second line will be though. Late in games we are leading you can always go back to playing Kesler in a more defensive role with his last years line mates.

Of course all this would only work if we got Rakell signed and someone could take the other wing spot.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well I could see

Ritchie - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogs - Kesler - Sorensen
Rakell - Vermette - Silfverberg

This looks pretty fine for me.

Yeah depends entirely on Sorensen really. I wonder how long we will be without Rakell for, even if we get him signed I don't know how his health is.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Having 6 PP's and not getting even a decent scoring opportunity was a little disheartening. But with Kesler being in the box and then tossed out, there wasn't a smooth flow to the game. I also can not stand the new zone entry on the PP where they make a pass back to a late skater, it smells of a clean break away for the other team.

Lindholm is a MUST SIGN, I can only hope Sami just wasn't interested last night as he was very sloppy. Depres also looked lost for a good chunk of the night and the young swede looked over matched or nervous.

I thought over all it looked like a scrimmage with guys being mixed and matched all night in spots they wont be in during a regular season game.

My thought on RC is he was brought in to make "guys" accountable, I'm assuming that means the top guys. So I wonder if anything was said to Getz after the drop pass to no one in OT?

manspaceman

Jan 16, 2014
About the game last night - that Donskoi goal was sick! Which defenders he tricked there? Made them look like a pair of Anaheim d-men. No, wait...

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Just to add a different perspective, I don't really agree with Duck Off that the defense was terrible as a hole. I thought they were pretty effective. The shot differential could have been much much worse. Despres and Vatanen were bad, but in general I thought the breakout issue was on the forwards. Frequently the defenseman would be double- or triple-teamed by the forecheckers and left without a passing option or anything in the way of support.

I thought all of the defenders, aside from Fowler were extremely sloppy. Poor passing, turnovers, and just sloppy play all around.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Having 6 PP's and not getting even a decent scoring opportunity was a little disheartening. But with Kesler being in the box and then tossed out, there wasn't a smooth flow to the game. I also can not stand the new zone entry on the PP where they make a pass back to a late skater, it smells of a clean break away for the other team.

Lindholm is a MUST SIGN, I can only hope Sami just wasn't interested last night as he was very sloppy. Depres also looked lost for a good chunk of the night and the young swede looked over matched or nervous.

I thought over all it looked like a scrimmage with guys being mixed and matched all night in spots they wont be in during a regular season game.

My thought on RC is he was brought in to make "guys" accountable, I'm assuming that means the top guys. So I wonder if anything was said to Getz after the drop pass to no one in OT?

They started that PP entry about the time that it started having success last year. I'd be surprised if it went away before teams actually do capitalize on it, because it was also about when the team could finally get zone entry with control on the PP.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
My first game to watch this year, thanks to it being on NHLN... pretty crappy effort all around. Shouldn't matter we're still line juggling playing against Sj's AHL team. Anyway, Bernier was the standout to me. thought he looked solid and confident. Silf also looked energized. Some nice fights in the game too. :)

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I caught my first and only few minutes of this preseason when I turned the game on with three minutes to go in regulation - probably giving me the perfect small sample to let me go away with a positive impression (other than the oldschool Getz backhander in OT).

I'm glad my confidence in Bernier seems to be entirely warranted so far. He's going to be very good for us.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I caught my first and only few minutes of this preseason when I turned the game on with three minutes to go in regulation - probably giving me the perfect small sample to let me go away with a positive impression (other than the oldschool Getz backhander in OT).

I'm glad my confidence in Bernier seems to be entirely warranted so far. He's going to be very good for us.

Yeea bernier is a pretty good goalie and I feel safe having him in case Gibson gets injuried or gets cold.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Went to the game last night, first one in a while.
I know it's one game
1) fowler looks very good, I think he has more jump in his legs if that's possible!
2) silly looks like he's improved his foot work a lot. And for one night, he got rid of shots pretty quickly!
3) why is our worst offensive defenseman alway the idiot so far up the ice? Guess who I mean?:sarcasm:
4) Bernier looked solid, and his lateral movement on three different saves was impressive
5) I would have been sad if Getz didn't make that bonehead pass in OT
6) Larsen didn't look ready strength wise unless he can really be sheltered.
7) at least this night, the guys looked like they were really looking out for each other
8) overall, boy it looks like it could be a rough start of the season

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Thoughts

Fowler was awesome, cogs was awesome, silf was good. Kesler should be our captain I loved when he jumped in after cogs made that hit then got jumped. Perry's goal was soooo nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille