Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season | Game 3 | Canucks 1 @ Flames 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Honestly, i think it's best to stick with Larsen for the time being over Stecher. Let Stecher play a little in the AHL then bring him up when there is an injury, because there will be injuries.

Getting 14 minutes a night in the NHL < getting 24 minutes in the AHL

I'd like to see each play with a more realistic roster against better competition first. Stecher isn't 18, if he deserves the spot is should be his.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'd like to see each play with a more realistic roster against better competition first. Stecher isn't 18, if he deserves the spot is should be his.

TBH, based on the past 2 games I think it's pretty close.

If it's pretty close then to me, the waiver guy should get in. Cuz you know asset management.

But it's hard to argue against a meritocracy. I'm still conflicted.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't know if it was the quality of competition but Rodin seemed to come out of a lot of puck battles with the puck. Looked very solid along the boards as well.

I don't see Rodin outright losing a lot of battles. He seems to give good effort as far as getting a stick in there and having generally decent results when he does engage. But he seems to me to be sort of "cherry-picking" his battles too much. Loiters a bit and jumps in when he sees a good opportunity to win a battle. At times though, he seems to opt to just take a lap and avoid a potential battle altogether. Which irks me...and is i think, the difference from being "opportunistic".

But idk. Many others seem to be highly impressed with the way he's battled. Maybe i'm being too hard on him. Might even just be part and parcel with his recovery from injury and the lack of explosiveness relative to what he's capable of in top form. But i've had pretty mixed impressions of how hard he fights for pucks...seems to depend on the puck, oscillating between "battles well" to "doesn't battle at all".

Don't think it's necessarily an effort thing, but it's a very big-ice tendency that i'd like to see ironed out of his game on the small ice to make him more consistently effective and engaged.

Honestly, i think it's best to stick with Larsen for the time being over Stecher. Let Stecher play a little in the AHL then bring him up when there is an injury, because there will be injuries.

Getting 14 minutes a night in the NHL < getting 24 minutes in the AHL

I think this makes a lot of sense. But then, no harm in letting this little competition play out through more of the preseason. Should at least help push Larsen a bit more to "earn" the spot outright.

Stecher came out with a bang...but obviously needs to show that's repeatable as the level ramps up. Larsen reportedly (from the mystery game) came out a bit slow and seems to be building on that with this game. We'll see where it goes...i'm highly interested in both players and where this goes. :)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
After seeing Granlund's playmaking go somewhere today, I shed a small tear knowing he'll be on a line with Etem and Dorsett all year. Etem/Dorsett magically turning feathers into grenades with the greatest of ease.

:laugh:

Pretty much.

But that's the reality of the roster spot Granlund (and Gaunce) are fighting for. Even with what they showed tonight, neither Granlund or Gaunce are going to supplant any of Hank/Bo/Sutter...so they're pretty much stuck playing 8-10 leftover minutes where it's going to be tough for anyone to get into a real creative offensive rhythm.

Which is where pluggier linemates on the wings who can go out there, play in straight lines and smash some things around looking for ugly lucky bounces and stuff are likely to be the guys flanking our 4th line Center. It's just easier for those types to "stay in the game" after long minutes on the bench between shifts. When their game is so much simpler and revolves so much less around getting a good feel for the puck.

Which of Granlund or Gaunce can prove more effective in that actual role...idk, i'd like to see both of them have a go at it in minutes more representative of what they'll actually be playing.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
:laugh: Come on, you don't actually believe crobro is Rendulic. Rendulic is very realistic person, and crobro is not (I know that from his questions/posts about croatian hockey in other threads).:)

btw. How did Rendulic look tonight ? I watched just first period...

Of course. But he was so jet set on Rendulic that it made it seem like he is....or at least a relative. So now it's a meme.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

If it's pretty close then to me, the waiver guy should get in. Cuz you know asset management.

Honestly, right now, Stretch > Larson. From what we've seen thus far, at least.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Ahhhh...no. Stecher just has that...something Larsen doesn't. Sure it's only been two games, but I'm firmly in the Stecher camp.

And I was just somehow hoping for more from Rodin. Bad luck that he had to get surgeries after his great start to the SEL year, but there's Canuck luck for you. I'm just not seeing much to separate him from the competition.

Again of course, meritocracy. On one hand, build the best team from the best parts possible. On the other, JB, WD, tank and all that.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I didn't see the third period but

Granlund had very good first 2 periods. Was skating much better than previous game. But it's not like we didn't see blips like this from Granlund last season too, they were just very very rare. Was this just one of those nights? How can he keep this sort of pace consistently against regular NHLers?

And still thought Gaunce had a stronger game than Granlund. Also in addition to that, he is just a better fit for the 4C position. Granlund can move to wing if he keeps this up, it's not like he can win a faceoff to save his life.

To me Brisebois is just a whole bunch of nothing. Every time I see him. I can't understand someone watching this player and seeing a future NHLer. He is so small, and so average in everything he does. He didn't get much minutes, but generally NHLers stand up in someway. Nice shot on the goal though.

Larsson was decent. He is like a poor man's Brian Campbell. Good skater, good with the puck. But he's going to have a lot of issues in the own zone especially if Sbisa is the other 3rd pairing guy. Didn't like Tryamkin much. The game seemed to move too fast for his legs and hands.

Oh and Rodin, I like him but I don't think his skating allows him to be a top 6 sniper, high-producing player at the NHL level. It's just not explosive enough. And while he has good skill level, it's not top tier either. Baertschi didn't do much aside from couple of good passes, needs to be better than that.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Forgot about LaBate - I wonder if he's trying to play an agitator role this preseason? Or if he's just being careless and causing disturbances as a result?

Labate has been playing that roll since the middle of last year in Utica. Agitator, fighter, net front presence on the pp.... needed player in Utica. Hoping for big things from big Joe......

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
:laugh:

Pretty much.

But that's the reality of the roster spot Granlund (and Gaunce) are fighting for. Even with what they showed tonight, neither Granlund or Gaunce are going to supplant any of Hank/Bo/Sutter...so they're pretty much stuck playing 8-10 leftover minutes where it's going to be tough for anyone to get into a real creative offensive rhythm.

Which is where pluggier linemates on the wings who can go out there, play in straight lines and smash some things around looking for ugly lucky bounces and stuff are likely to be the guys flanking our 4th line Center. It's just easier for those types to "stay in the game" after long minutes on the bench between shifts. When their game is so much simpler and revolves so much less around getting a good feel for the puck.

Which of Granlund or Gaunce can prove more effective in that actual role...idk, i'd like to see both of them have a go at it in minutes more representative of what they'll actually be playing.
Somehow it's fitting that Gaunce wears #50, he shows up to play half the games last year in Utica... and I am being very generous...

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I didn't see the third period but

Granlund had very good first 2 periods. Was skating much better than previous game. But it's not like we didn't see blips like this from Granlund last season too, they were just very very rare. Was this just one of those nights? How can he keep this sort of pace consistently against regular NHLers?

And still thought Gaunce had a stronger game than Granlund. Also in addition to that, he is just a better fit for the 4C position. Granlund can move to wing if he keeps this up, it's not like he can win a faceoff to save his life.

To me Brisebois is just a whole bunch of nothing. Every time I see him. I can't understand someone watching this player and seeing a future NHLer. He is so small, and so average in everything he does. He didn't get much minutes, but generally NHLers stand up in someway. Nice shot on the goal though.

Larsson was decent. He is like a poor man's Brian Campbell. Good skater, good with the puck. But he's going to have a lot of issues in the own zone especially if Sbisa is the other 3rd pairing guy. Didn't like Tryamkin much. The game seemed to move too fast for his legs and hands.

Oh and Rodin, I like him but I don't think his skating allows him to be a top 6 sniper, high-producing player at the NHL level. It's just not explosive enough. And while he has good skill level, it's not top tier either. Baertschi didn't do much aside from couple of good passes, needs to be better than that.

I like Brisebois. Smart and makes a good pass. Yeah he's super thin but he'll fill out and he's basically 6'3 so he's not small...He has #4 potential but will probably be a bottom pairing guy. I see NHLer

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I like Brisebois. Smart and makes a good pass. Yeah he's super thin but he'll fill out and he's basically 6'3 so he's not small...He has #4 potential but will probably be a bottom pairing guy. I see NHLer

If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's like 5'10. Seriously. It's like he doesn't even have that kind of lanky body one can grow into. Like Tanev did ~5 years ago. It's one thing to play small, but actually to look so tiny. Crazy.

He's still young, but this season is going to be his final junior year. He didn't make much progress in his d+1 year. What, 90% of draft picks don't make the NHL? To me he's right on track to be part of that 90%.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Also didn't watch the third...

Larsen-I didn't see anything dynamic from him and I think that's a problem if it continues because the defensive aspects of his game aren't great. I believe he played the San Jose game and the radio crew talking about his not so great game in that one as well. He needs to pick it up.

Tryamkin-not good. Just didn't seem to keep up with the play by my eye test. Again needs to be better.

If Larsen and Tryamiin are unable to bring it the marginal depth they think they have on the blueline evaporates.

Hutton...now this kid has been dynamic. A little too aggressive but it's good to see him shine against the lower competition.

Gudbranson...didn't much like his game to be honest. Couple penalties and he could have had more. Much poorer game than his first.

Brisebois...nice goal. Got himself into trouble at other times.

Tanev...guy isn't going to score but a rock defensively. And honestly when you have a PP unit with Larsen and Tanev and Tanev is the one being aggressive, opening up lanes etc it doesn't reflect well on Larsen.

Up front...I thought Gaunce had a nice game. Granlund played well. Rodin can be nifty but his game is lacking some consistent drive. But it is his second game in 8 months or so. Great play along the boards on the goal. Nobody else up front struck me as having a hugely strong game.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There was NOTHING redeeming about having Tanev on the PP. Nothing.
Brutal.

I was so badly hoping to see the improvement in his shot and the fruits of his off season... nothing.

Clearly the improvement he saw in training was on his wristshot since he tried to wrist it a handful of times which you rarely saw last yr.
Unfortunately he didnt practice getting the shot off quickly since it seemed to get disrupted 4/5 times as he was loading it.
Just.. no. Gonna go give him another (-) just last night.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gaunce - solid, solid game. Has speed, strong on forecheck, uses body positioning and stick very well. Overall, looks like an NHLer now and is eons ahead of Etem.
Rodin - speed was good but expect him to get faster. Surprised at how good he is along the boards, always came out with the puck. Can see he is on a different level than most of the players around him last night. It's still early but it looks like he could establish himself as a very good middle 6 winger.
Granlund - liked his speed and vision. Looks better than last year.

Last edited:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Hopefully it was just preseason and lack of RD alternatives that saw Tanev get PP. I like him but it's clear he has no aptitude for this role. It wasn't just that one shift either. Larsen/Stecher and a forward should be used alongside Edler and Hutton.

Larsen needs to show more if he wants to earn it. Rodin has already done it for me, lack of conditioning and opportunity to train hard in the summer notwithstanding.

Stecher looks to be the man but there is truth in that at his age he needs to be playing big minutes somewhere. Making it as our 7 or 8 wouldn't do.

Nuck fans may not want to hear it but Sbisa remains higher on the depth chart than Tryamkin and the other bubble D men.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Brutal.

I was so badly hoping to see the improvement in his shot and the fruits of his off season... nothing.

Clearly the improvement he saw in training was on his wristshot since he tried to wrist it a handful of times which you rarely saw last yr.
Unfortunately he didnt practice getting the shot off quickly since it seemed to get disrupted 4/5 times as he was loading it.

Agreed but unfortunately we don't have a lot of options after Edler and Hutton. Larsen hasn't really impressed me much yet on the point even though it's still early. Watching Stecher the other night on the point was quite exciting. But it's only one game and given the logjam on defense I think he's going to have to be one of the better players every night so that he forces managements hands. Much like Hutton did last year. That's asking a lot from a rookie. It could be another long year on the second unit PP defense though if he doesn't.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've heard them talk about Tanev on the PP all offseason. They want a RH dman out there, it's going to be a thing.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I didn't see last nights game I was at work. But Granlund played well from all accounts. Having said that, we saw him with those fourth line types last season and it wasn't good. We saw it in an earlier pre season game and it wasn't good.

Gaunce so far this preseason has brought it playing with worse line-mates each game than Granlund. He has just looked better playing that fourth line role, trying to prop Granlund up with good line-mates at this point as its not who he will be playing with.

Granlund needs to bring what he brought last night to a his next game but with fourth line guys.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
I didn't see last nights game I was at work. But Granlund played well from all accounts. Having said that, we saw him with those fourth line types last season and it wasn't good. We saw it in an earlier pre season game and it wasn't good.

Gaunce so far this preseason has brought it playing with worse line-mates each game than Granlund. He has just looked better playing that fourth line role, trying to prop Granlund up with good line-mates at this point as its not who he will be playing with.

Granlund needs to bring what he brought last night to a his next game but with fourth line guys.

Etem and Dorsett are 4th line types in the sense that the 4th line is the only place they could ever belong and some nights they don't even look good enough for that.

When it comes to players you'd actually want on your 4th line like Gaunce, Grenier, Zalewski, etc. who can actually use their brains to play hockey Granlund's more than fine.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Brutal.

Who else are we going to put on the PP? Gubranson?

We only have 3 players out of the starting 6 that can play on the PP. There is a reason why a lot of people were calling Gubranson a redundant asset.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Etem and Dorsett are 4th line types in the sense that the 4th line is the only place they could ever belong and some nights they don't even look good enough for that.

When it comes to players you'd actually want on your 4th line like Gaunce, Grenier, Zalewski, etc. who can actually use their brains to play hockey Granlund's more than fine.

Then when is he going to show it? He had the end of last season, and for part of it he did get played with Bea, a few times. This is literally the first game where he showed anything in a Canucks uniform. Good on him. However one game does not make him better than gaunce... or Horvat.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Who else are we going to put on the PP? Gubranson?

We only have 3 players out of the starting 6 that can play on the PP
. There is a reason why a lot of people were calling Gubranson a redundant asset.

Which is normal...

How many teams have 4 dmen who are very good on the PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad