Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season | Game 3 | Canucks 1 @ Flames 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Huh. So that happened. Thoughts:

--Would still take Stecher as the last guy on RD over Larsen.

--Would still like to have taken Tkachuk over Juolevi.

--Would still like to have Forsling and Brisebois. The latter...yeah. Not lighting my fire.

--LaBate, Rendulic both pleasant surprises. Grenier still is what he is. All will be packing their bags for Utica. Let's hope they can shore up the forward corps there.

And other things.

Really, my opinion of Tkachuk is dropping.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

Yeah, a few posters didn't like what Tkachuk brought in this game, but I thought he was pretty good. Was in the dirty areas, passed well and really knew how to make himself available.

Obviously Bennet is going to drive any line he plays on, but you need guys that can finish. Fact is, the Canucks could use a guy like Tkachuk. They need a guy like Juolevi as well, so it's not like they're floating in talent.

That's an NHL line and even with his lower end skating Tkachuk looks to be a player in the NHL.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
That entire post was pretty clearly a sarcastic response to some people's ridiculous notion that Granlund is better than Horvat because of a one-preseason-game sample size.

Yes, thanks.

I actually wanted to continue this a bit longer, to prove that point. Thanks though.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Oh yeah.

Skille: You can tell he really, really wants a job. Will it be enough? Is this a crappy enough team for there to be a place for him? I feel for the guy, I really do. Maybe there's a place for his as a role player somewhere, but I just don't see it as being here. We're obviously going to suck anyway, may as well let a kid or recent draft pick see if they can run with the ball.

Ruutu: yeah, no. Sorry guy.

Gaunce: Made some good plays, but still get the impression he thinks he's on the team by default.

Rodin: I dunno. We've already got one in Baertschi.

Tryamkin: Was really hoping for more. C'mon, big guy. Don't leave us stuck with Sbisa.

Some good points.

Bang on when it comes to Skille. He's doing what a guy ought to do to secure a contract out of a PTO opportunity. But whether that's going to be with this team or not...i'm not sure.

Part of that may well come down to Gaunce, where i also get the same impression as you there. He's looked good, absolutely. But there does seem to be an air of almost expectation/entitlement that he's going to be on this team. Problem is, when Gaunce plays like this - the way they've been trying to get him to consistently play for a couple years now...he's absolutely capable of contributing on an NHL roster. But we've seen this whole song and dance before...and when the intensity and engagement level drops, he becomes dead weight at the NHL level. :dunno:

The question sort of becomes...where does he fit if Granlund also shows like tonight, that he's worthy of a roster spot as well? One of them will have to play Wing. Which is where i wonder if you want to disrupt what Gaunce seems to be building at Center to squeeze him in? I'd be wary of that. And Granlund looks clearly better suited to playing down the middle as well with the way he facilitates and dishes the puck around in transition.

There's realistically only like 8-10 minutes up for grabs at 4th line Center to begin with. We can only have so many 4th line Centers. :dunno:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I liked Brisebois, regardless of the goal he showed a lot better than I expected. Tanev... So good defensively... So bad offensively. Granlund and Gaunce had good games. Everyone in the bottom six tonight probably sent down or cut.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Some good points.

Bang on when it comes to Skille. He's doing what a guy ought to do to secure a contract out of a PTO opportunity. But whether that's going to be with this team or not...i'm not sure.

Part of that may well come down to Gaunce, where i also get the same impression as you there. He's looked good, absolutely. But there does seem to be an air of almost expectation/entitlement that he's going to be on this team. Problem is, when Gaunce plays like this - the way they've been trying to get him to consistently play for a couple years now...he's absolutely capable of contributing on an NHL roster. But we've seen this whole song and dance before...and when the intensity and engagement level drops, he becomes dead weight at the NHL level. :dunno:

The question sort of becomes...where does he fit if Granlund also shows like tonight, that he's worthy of a roster spot as well? One of them will have to play Wing. Which is where i wonder if you want to disrupt what Gaunce seems to be building at Center to squeeze him in? I'd be wary of that. And Granlund looks clearly better suited to playing down the middle as well with the way he facilitates and dishes the puck around in transition.

There's realistically only like 8-10 minutes up for grabs at 4th line Center to begin with. We can only have so many 4th line Centers. :dunno:

Good points. But to play the devil's advocate: can we not almost say the same thing about Granlund's higher effort tonight?

His old team, and his position is being questioned?

I really have no idea here, and I wish for nothing but the best for Granlund, but I see the same raised effort level for similar reasons. Let's just hope one keeps it up.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Rodin: I dunno. We've already got one in Baertschi.

Well, for a team that couldn't score a goal to save their life last year I'd gladly take another Baertschi.

Besides, I think Rodin is a lot better at digging out pucks along the boards then Baertschi which is a valuable trait to have.

We had the 4th worst PP in the league last year and were second last in goal scoring. This team needs another Baertschi.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Ehhhh I still really don't like passing on him. The day of the draft I was just leaving work when it was our pick, and my signal cut out just as I was heading out the door. I was refreshing and refreshing NHL.com, but I lost patience and went here. Saw the thread: Player Discussion: Olli Juolevi and only a superhuman feat of self-control kept me from smashing my phone on the pavement.

I've just got one of those "bad feeling" things going on from that pick.

Some good points.

Yeah, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for Granlund. Hey, maybe he proves people wrong. Maybe this is the beginning of him smacking himself into shape. Could happen, right? But really, you look at track records here. Gaunce has the history of looking great for a game here or a shift there then fading away. Just ask the Utica posters. And Granlund has been bloody useless until this game tonight. Will/can he keep it up?

Skille. Is there a place for him here? I dunno. You know he's busting everything he's got to earn a spot, and I wish I could say the same about Gaunce.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, a few posters didn't like what Tkachuk brought in this game, but I thought he was pretty good. Was in the dirty areas, passed well and really knew how to make himself available.

Obviously Bennet is going to drive any line he plays on, but you need guys that can finish. Fact is, the Canucks could use a guy like Tkachuk. They need a guy like Juolevi as well, so it's not like they're floating in talent.

That's an NHL line and even with his lower end skating Tkachuk looks to be a player in the NHL.

Yeah. I think that's probably pretty much the type of game Tkachuk is likely to bring in the end. Obviously he's got a lot of room to improve from here, but in terms of being sort of the 2nd/3rd wheel on a line...i think that's just sort of where his game fits in to things.

He's going to be hanging around the net area and in traffic, he's going to get under people's skin, he's going to pick up some garbage points, and he's going to do a lot of subtle things to make a Top-6 scoring line go. But i don't think he's going to be a dynamic play-driver who splashes himself all over the highlight reel.

Canucks certainly could've used someone like that...but we also don't really have the dynamic play-driving counterpart to what he does yet anyway. And i think you can equally argue we need a minute-munching puck-moving defenceman as well. A player type who tend to take a little bit longer to emerge at the NHL level...which they obviously opted to get in the oven to start cooking a bit earlier with the Juolevi pick.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, for a team that couldn't score a goal to save their life last year I'd gladly take another Baertschi.

Besides, I think Rodin is a lot better at digging out pucks along the boards then Baertschi which is a valuable trait to have.

We had the 4th worst PP in the league last year and were second last in goal scoring. This team needs another Baertschi.

What, 15 goals 28 points last year. Ooo, ahhh. Maybe we've been so starved for goals around here that mediocrity looks good. This team doesn't need another Baertschi, it needs one of Rodin or Baertschi to get into the 25+ goal range and take that next step.

And that low low PP rating is imho because of a glaring lack of a true PP QB. It's why Stecher stuck out for me so much the last game; here's a dman who can actually shoot the puck, isn't shy about doing so, and can delegate those scoring chances on the fly. That's what we need.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Liked: Granlund, Rodin, Hutton, Gaunce, Brisebois (who I largely didn't notice aside from the goal which is good for a young d man).

If any of the invites should get consideration it should be Skille. Like him over Dorsett especially since he'd be a lot cheaper.

Larsen showed some good puck skills and was making good passes out there. Definitely want to see him with the twins.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Wow. It's been a 'fun' read tonight, after a pretty entertaining game - despite the score.

So many people speaking in absolutes: Benning this, and Granlund that...

Just to quickly touch on the latter; Granlund had a good game, and I expected nothing less against his former team that traded him.
Although I count myself with those who think his trade was unwarranted, as we already have bodies to fill that position, I liked his effort and game tonight.

Time will tell here.

Is anyone as disappointed as I am, that Johnny Cash-in-while-your-hot-at-the-expense-of-your-teammates wasn't playing tonight?

Wow. Does that guy need an ego check and a new agent. Calgary took a huge chance on this midget, put him in a massive position to succeed, and this is how he rewards them...

Wow.

Gaudreau doesn't owe Calgary anything. He would have been drafted by another team or would have been signed out of college. Calgary has already received far more value than the 5th round pick they used to sign him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If Granlund plays like this all season I will quickly change my opinion on him.

I wouldn't count him replicating this performance more than a couple times this year. Against his old club that was half AHLers. If any game was going to be "his game" this was it. Full credit for going out there and performing, but I definitely want to see more before I got changing my opinion of the guy.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
What, 15 goals 28 points last year. Ooo, ahhh. Maybe we've been so starved for goals around here that mediocrity looks good. This team doesn't need another Baertschi, it needs one of Rodin or Baertschi to get into the 25+ goal range and take that next step.

And that low low PP rating is imho because of a glaring lack of a true PP QB. It's why Stecher stuck out for me so much the last game; here's a dman who can actually shoot the puck, isn't shy about doing so, and can delegate those scoring chances on the fly. That's what we need.

Sure, I would want to see if Baertschi and Rodin can take that next step. But that doesn't mean we can't have both of them on the team next year.

True that on the PP, but honestly, the PP really doesn't get any worse with Rodin on it. In fact, he's made the PP look very dangerous.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I wouldn't count him replicating this performance more than a couple times this year. Against his old club that was half AHLers. If any game was going to be "his game" this was it. Full credit for going out there and performing, but I definitely want to see more before I got changing my opinion of the guy.

Yeah, it's gonna take like 10 games of solid play in a row for me to change my opinion about him. I hope this is the start of those 10 games.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't know if it was the quality of competition but Rodin seemed to come out of a lot of puck battles with the puck. Looked very solid along the boards as well.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Honestly, i think it's best to stick with Larsen for the time being over Stecher. Let Stecher play a little in the AHL then bring him up when there is an injury, because there will be injuries.

Getting 14 minutes a night in the NHL < getting 24 minutes in the AHL

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Good points. But to play the devil's advocate: can we not almost say the same thing about Granlund's higher effort tonight?

His old team, and his position is being questioned?

I really have no idea here, and I wish for nothing but the best for Granlund, but I see the same raised effort level for similar reasons. Let's just hope one keeps it up.

It's possible i suppose. But i don't think Granlund's intensity level and engagement with the game changed much at all from last game to this one (as Gaunce's game has tended to do in the past). The biggest difference to me, was Granlund playing with more skilled linemates, in a role asking for more skilled offensive play. He obviously looked a lot more offensively effective in that niche...which he should.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Honestly, i think it's best to stick with Larsen for the time being over Stecher. Let Stecher play a little in the AHL then bring him up when there is an injury, because there will be injuries.

Getting 14 minutes a night in the NHL < getting 24 minutes in the AHL

We have too many Right-Handed D?

BRB checking out window for horsemen.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
It's possible i suppose. But i don't think Granlund's intensity level and engagement with the game changed much at all from last game to this one (as Gaunce's game has tended to do in the past). The biggest difference to me, was Granlund playing with more skilled linemates, in a role asking for more skilled offensive play. He obviously looked a lot more offensively effective in that niche...which he should.

After seeing Granlund's playmaking go somewhere today, I shed a small tear knowing he'll be on a line with Etem and Dorsett all year. Etem/Dorsett magically turning feathers into grenades with the greatest of ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad