GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 23 • Canada vs. Sweden • 3-5 final

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Wow the hate on Visentin is pretty intense. The tournament hasn't even started yet...

Some of you guys take this whole thing way too seriously in my opinion.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Regardless it's a formality and it's probably smarter to wait 10-15 seconds for the anthem to finish than to skate early like that. If a Canadian did that during Sweden's anthem, it'd be embarrassing and Swedish fans would likely rightfully be up in arms too.

No we wouldnt.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Lol, big deal... Anthems are useless anyways, they're just fossils from the times of national pride.

I like that Swede.

C'mon dude. Your view on anthems has nothing to do with the fact that what this kid did was stupid, disrespectful and showed zero class.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Lol, big deal... Anthems are useless anyways, they're just fossils from the times of national pride.

I like that Swede.

I dislike the anthems being played before games too but while they are, it's mature to respect the tradition.

Though maybe the player in question thought the anthem was finished. If you don't hear it often, how would he know? So, give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I could play my peewee team against a major junior hockey team and they would lose 420 times, too.

All those years when the Soviet Union was using professionals against our fourth rate amateurs means very little to me. Perhaps if my country had not allowed human beings to pursue their own economic aspirations, we could have made the Rocket, Jean Beliveau, Terry Sawchuk, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, and Bobby Hull remain "amateurs" and had a little more fun with those Olympics, couldn't he have? Ah, that pesky freedom thing.

When it has been a true best on best, Russia rarely has come out on top and you know it.

No need to get political...

Jedda

Sep 7, 2003
Boden, Sweden
I dislike the anthems being played before games too but while they are, it's mature to respect the tradition.

Though maybe the player in question thought the anthem was finished. If you don't hear it often, how would he know? So, give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

I would normally agree with you about the anthems, but for international games I think it's just fine.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Alright, better late than never:
The bad: To take a too many men late in the 2nd when having played a really good game up till that point is not acceptable. After Canada scored 2-4 Sweden got real sloppy with the puck, and didn't play nearly as good. Some of it was forced, but a lot of it wasn't. Rensfeldt as one of the older players has got to know better than doing a blind side pass on the PP when in the lead aswell. Why is he playing on the 1st unit anyway? I think they need to reconsider playing only three forwards instead of four on the PP, especially against the good teams. First line aside from a couple of shifts wasn't very good or as good as it can be, didn't get into the game the right way with the early Larsson penalty either.

The good: Ronnberg's timeout when the momentum was shifting over in the 3rd. That saved the game as far as I'm concerned. Klingberg stood out for the better, he was really really good. But the depth guys on the Swedish D also had good games, I like how that size looks. Karlsson looks to be this year's creative player for us, hope he gets the role he deserves on the PP. The team is pretty even in my eyes, there's no "oh no that guy is out" or "not that line again".

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Terrible 3rd from Sweden. Really bad shorthanded goal to give up when we could have had a 5 on 3 instead, sloppy passing from the d-men. Good first and second period though, but you can´t drop a 4-1 lead like that in the real tournament.

Also have to wonder what Smith Pelly is doing out there, just hitting to get cheers from the crowd? He should really have gotten at least one penalty for hitting after the whistle was blown, sooner or later he will hit someones head by accident.

Last edited:

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
We're gonna get at least one player injured tonight.

It's so stupid to play Canada in a 'friendly' game just before the tournament starts. Like always they'll use cheap tricks and bullying methods to get in our head before the tournament has even started. Oh well...

Yep. Ã…berg injured and possibly going home.

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
Just watched the game, Smith-Pelly is a beast! :amazed:

Also, we were very lucky to win this game. Klingberg really does suck but our passing in general was so damn sloppy.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Just watched the game, Smith-Pelly is a beast! :amazed:

Also, we were very lucky to win this game. Klingberg really does suck but our passing in general was so damn sloppy.

Nah, we were the better team for 2 periods, Canada managed to come back because of 2 bad goals given up. Really liked Forsberg and Karlsson this game, Larsson was bad in the beginning but was one of few who played good in the 3rd.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Oh I think a lot of Swedes would be.

Nah, we wouldn't. The tabloids probably would have tried to stir something up but the general public don't give a rats ass about anthems, flags and all that crap over here.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Nah, we wouldn't. The tabloids probably would have tried to stir something up but the general public don't give a rats ass about anthems, flags and all that crap over here.

Too bad the general public's opinion is completely built on the tabloids.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Did anybody notice anything in the game with Aberg? Can't really recall even hearing his name, so it must've been early in.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Yup, think I saw him like 2 or 3 times on the ice. Since I'm a Djurgården fan I reacted to that.. was hoping it wasn't an injury the whole game

cenas*

Klingberg stood out for the better, he was really really good.

That just shows where the quality of this tournament is.. that guy is pretty much the worst defence man in all of SM-Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad