GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 23 • Canada vs. Sweden • 3-5 final

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I don't think he played badly but I think that people say that cause he was not an impact player like Schwartz, Galagher and Stone and that what people could expect from a returnee 6th over-all pick and a guy who has played in the NHL. But maybe the expectations are just unrealistic and we should just expect a solid contribution without being one of the go to guys.

he was on the team without trying. that is what i do not like. I do not think he is playing good. he had a good game against Swiss. but if he can not play good against the good teams then he should not have made the team. TC cut better scoring players for him to make the team. He had a bad game against Finland a good game against Swiss and an ok game against Sweden. What is going happening against Russian and USA?

arsmaster*

he was on the team without trying. that is what i do not like. I do not think he is playing good. he had a good game against Swiss. but if he can not play good against the good teams then he should not have made the team. TC cut better scoring players for him to make the team. He had a bad game against Finland a good game against Swiss and an ok game against Sweden. What is going happening against Russian and USA?

Did he not have points on two of the 3 goals against the Finn's.

Your precious OHLer who cant keep up didnt make the squad get over it.

Connolly is playing on the 4th line, and they are creating chances.

No PP time...

Such a joke that you are still complaining about his game....our problem is the center ice position and goaltending. As much as I was defending Visentin, he looks dreadful in the crease. He is guessing and has no clue where the puck is.

arsmaster*

I disagree. I thought Canada was better (and up 1 goal) until Visentin melted down in the last 5 minutes of the 1st.

I also thought, after Wedgewood came in half way thru the 2nd, Canada came to life and was the better team.

In the 3rd, Canada was the better team.

The first period was even. The goaltending was poor, but the broadcast team even pointed out we were gliding too much, no stop/starts and no back pressure on the forecheck.

The 2nd period was pretty poor by Canada, but even after Wedgewood came in Sweden still dominated puck pressure.

I would say it was a game of halves. Sweden was the better team to start, Canada was the better team to finish.

arsmaster*

The first period was even. The goaltending was poor, but the broadcast team even pointed out we were gliding too much, no stop/starts and no back pressure on the forecheck.

The 2nd period was pretty poor by Canada, but even after Wedgewood came in Sweden still dominated puck pressure.

I would say it was a game of halves. Sweden was the better team to start, Canada was the better team to finish.

Cant edit, no back pressure or puck pursuit in defensive transition. not on the forecheck.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
What I gathered from last night's game was that Sweden has better goaltending and superb defense, whereas Canada has more offensive spark and creativity. Defense is still great, but you can tell Swedish players play in a better league, and the maturity and calmness they had yesterday was just insane. I'm very interested if they can keep at it when the tournament starts, although my gut feeling says the Canadians are going to go further, and that their offense is that much better so as to offset the possible disadvantage at the back. If there's one thing they have, it's depth, and I do believe that will ultimately be the difference.

But that's just what I gathered from watching Canada's games against Switzerland and Sweden, so I might be completely off ;)

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Yes... Thank you...

What I don't understand is this... If Russia or the U.S. or Sweden were to lose an exhibition game every Canadian fan would be cutting them slack and making excuse.

We would hear... "Just wait til the real games start. Then they will be great."

But because it is our own... well, heaven forbid we not rip them apart.

It is an exhibition game. It is a time to experiment - try new lines, try a goalie you are not sure about. That is what we did.

Is Sweden a talented fast team? Yes. Will we have to change our game to beat them if we meet later in the tournament? Yes.

But minus the 15 minute meltdown, we were the better team.

nope.. we gave our starter a shot against a good team to see if he could handle it..

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sweden was more prepared for this game. They cared more. Canada picked it up when they realized the gsme was slipping away. I don't think there defense wax that great against the transition. Howden broke through the two defenders easily, getting a brief breakaway. He did it twice and I notice it develop several other times. They moved the puck well enough but they weren't great. They are a very fast team though. And a very strong team. Gosl tending could be a strength for them as well.

I've been pretty disappointed with several 2011 draftees. Haven't seen much from strome, schiefele or Hamilton. Maybe I was expecting too much. Huberdeau was underwhelming as well but that was expected with his injury.

From a sens point of view. Very happy with what I saw from zibanejad and stone. Claesson wasnt very noticeable which was expected with his style.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Sweden was more prepared for this game. They cared more. Canada picked it up when they realized the gsme was slipping away. I don't think there defense wax that great against the transition. Howden broke through the two defenders easily, getting a brief breakaway. He did it twice and I notice it develop several other times. They moved the puck well enough but they weren't great. They are a very fast team though. And a very strong team. Gosl tending could be a strength for them as well.

I've been pretty disappointed with several 2011 draftees. Haven't seen much from strome, schiefele or Hamilton. Maybe I was expecting too much. Huberdeau was underwhelming as well but that was expected with his injury.

From a sens point of view. Very happy with what I saw from zibanejad and stone. Claesson wasnt very noticeable which was expected with his style.

Let it play out...people were saying Brayden Schenn sucks last year after 1 game and then he went on to torch the tournament on fire. Strome has mostly looked in over his head, Scheifele didn't play much last night but has been alright and I think Hamilton will have a good showing.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

False. Swedes dosnt care about pre-tourny games

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Let it play out...people were saying Brayden Schenn sucks last year after 1 game and then he went on to torch the tournament on fire. Strome has mostly looked in over his head, Scheifele didn't play much last night but has been alright and I think Hamilton will have a good showing.

Hope you're right. I haven't been impressed with Canada's supposed "scoring line" centers so far. Scheifele hasn't done much, and Strome looks way over his head against elite players. Hamilton's also not really impressed. I thought he'd play with more energy than he has.

The wingers and the defense has been, by and large, good for Canada in the three exhibition games. It's the scoring centers and Visentin that have me a bit worried.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Hope you're right. I haven't been impressed with Canada's supposed "scoring line" centers so far. Scheifele hasn't done much, and Strome looks way over his head against elite players. Hamilton's also not really impressed. I thought he'd play with more energy than he has.

The wingers and the defense has been, by and large, good for Canada in the three exhibition games. It's the scoring centers and Visentin that have me a bit worried.

Hamilton came there for third line center and has play very good for a third line center. Scheifele has good periods but i do not think he has had a bad period just sometimes nothing is going right but he is coming back and playing D. Now Strome who i really like has not shown anything like he played last year. But he has not shown anything all year like last year since he came back from the NHL. Jennier has played very good so he could move to second line center and play Strome 13 th forward or on the 4th line. I would stop playing him most of the PP as they are not doing too much with him on the PP so play the players that are playing better.

I hope DSP can keep hitting like he has, but it has to be taken a toll on him and if the other player just turns at the last second the wrong way we could lose him for a few games as when he hits he hits hard. I think he has been the best player on all the teams i have seen so far.

But you would expect that from a player playing in the NHL against junior players.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Don't get me wrong there is lots to worry about...and I'm not the guy that comes here every year and says we won't win. But there are 3 other rosters this year I like just as much as ours, if not more.

We'll be leaning on home ice based on what I've seen thus far.

I think Visentin's nerves are showing, his angles and calmness are out whack for the most part. The upside to Visentin in this tournament is important...even though Wedge may play better, seeing if we can get the best out of Visentin is still very important for us to try.

I think Hamilton will settle down along with Murray, Gormley and Harrington to provide our safest most reliable players. Beaulieu, a guy I really like, may make a couple mistakes that will put him into sheltered/PP role like Pietrangelo in his 18 year old stint in the WJC.

I'm a fan of Scott Harrington. All I've ever seen from the guy, not much tbh, but he's just been a very clean kid in the defensive zone and were gonna need that.

If Strome can't cut it we will need someone to step up. And that doesn't leave Sheifele off the hook either....tough go forcing two 18 year olds into these spots though.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Maybe not but I don't think you can deny they wanted to beat Canada. They wanted the win more from the start. I don't think you can deny that.

I watched the Canada Finland and am right now watching this Canada Sweden game and I think atleast at the physichal game canada is efforting / trying. So they arent totally like "i dont care"-mood. But practice is practice, the real games start when the real games start, better to argue about teams then

Last edited:

Locks

May 28, 2005

Agree. But Visentin problem could be "corrected" by playing the other guy who has done well in the camp/pre-tourney. But I don't see any centreman who can step up into that top 2 role right now. I hope that Huberdeau can shake up the rust and play at his elite level to compensate for the weekness at the center position.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Everyone who plays a game like this wants to win, dont try to kid yourself. If not, they wouldnt be on the team.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
Maybe not but I don't think you can deny they wanted to beat Canada. They wanted the win more from the start. I don't think you can deny that.

Maybe not but I don't think you can deny they wanted to beat Sweden. They wanted the win more from the start. I don't think you can deny that.

See where this is going?
Allthough I do understand there are certain situations where one team doesnt want the win as much as the other... this was not one of them games.

Last edited:

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
Havent had time to watch the third period 'til now. Lots of talk of Canadian pressure, noone noticed that Sweden had the best chance? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad