GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 22 • Canada vs. Switzerland • 7-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice. Did you put any money on it?

Thank you. Life would be good if there was all kinds of betting action for junior hockey exhibitions. Sadly, there was not.

Anyway, I'm happy with how that game went but not much can be taken from it. Wedgewood was not bad, and I hope to see both he and Visentin against Sweden. Centre still looks like a weak position for this team, but the wingers somewhat make up for it. Things looked better overall with Huberdeau and Howden, with Huberdeau in particular showing flashes of tremendous skill. He will be a force if he gets up to speed. I would like to see Stone and Smith-Pelly play together for a while, just for laughs. Defence was solid, but was never really challenged. I do not know why Gallagher and F. Hamilton are getting the PP time that they are... that should be changed. The Sweden game should shed some light on the goaltending situation, and also who outside of Gormley and Hamilton should be getting the big minutes.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
JackSlater is one of the better Canadian posters.

:)

Best line was Pearson/Jennier/Connolly they got everything started with a good shift. Pearson made two mistakes in the defensive zone one cost the goal the other was a nice save. But every shift they were out there they had a lot of chances. DSP and Stone worked the PP good. Howden did not do anything Strome played a little better looks like he is the 13th player and played PP only until the third period. all the defenseman played good. Freddie Hamilton played a ok game i thought he was better the other game but was ok tonight.

Lets not forget they played a bad team so i will wait to see them all tomorrow to make sure the players that played good tonight wasn't because they played a weak team.

Password

Nov 19, 2010
Finland
I wasn't expecting a 7-1 win for Canada, more like 4 or 5-1 or something. I'm interested in watching this game, will TSN upload the game on their web site as they did after our game?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I wasn't expecting a 7-1 win for Canada, more like 4 or 5-1 or something. I'm interested in watching this game, will TSN upload the game on their web site as they did after our game?

It was an insanely one-sided game to watch. The Swiss looked entirely out of their element, aside from a couple of guys, when I watched the first half of the game.

Not to say you shouldn't continue trying to find a way to watch, but just warning you that it might not be enjoyable.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
How was Wedgewood in net?

He was fine. Hard to tell from what I saw, since the Canadians absolutely smothered the Swiss when they had the puck. IIRC the first period ended with 20+ shots for the Canadians to about 5 for the Swiss, and most of the Swiss shots were from outside areas.

Password

Nov 19, 2010
Finland
It was an insanely one-sided game to watch. The Swiss looked entirely out of their element, aside from a couple of guys, when I watched the first half of the game.

Not to say you shouldn't continue trying to find a way to watch, but just warning you that it might not be enjoyable.

This scares me a bit, thinking of our upcoming game on monday :)

Hockey is always enjoyable ;)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

He was fine. Hard to tell from what I saw, since the Canadians absolutely smothered the Swiss when they had the puck. IIRC the first period ended with 20+ shots for the Canadians to about 5 for the Swiss, and most of the Swiss shots were from outside areas.

The Swiss goal was a good one and nothing to be ashamed of - a shot from the blue line tipped at the net. Other than that the game was never in doubt. The Swiss never threatened Canada physically or on the score sheet.

Wedgewood bobbled the occasional puck but as a previous poster said... he seemed quite sure of himself. In control! It was hard not to have confidence in him.

It is nice to feel that way about a Canadian goalie - for a change. I have never felt that way about Visentin even when he is playing well.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

This scares me a bit, thinking of our upcoming game on monday :)

Hockey is always enjoyable ;)

One of the worst things about being a Canadian Hockey fan is you can never really enjoy the hockey. The world is always gunning for you and...

When you lose, the world gloats, and you feel awful.

When you win, well... the world shrugs because we were suppose to win.

Other nations can win a medal (Silver or Bronze) and feel great.

And even when we win Gold we can only enjoy the victory briefly because we start to worry about winning the next tournament. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 18, 2011
DSP will be a force for Canada on the PP. Not only is he great on the walls, his hands inside 5 feet for a big guy are sick. hes gonna drive goalies and D nuts all tourney.....

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I want Wedgewood in the nets as the number one guy. I was the guy saying Wedgewood should have been the starter last year while Roy and Visentin were stinking up the nets and Wedgewood couldn't even get an invite to camp. Kid's a big game goalie, just ask Taylor Hall, Ryan Ellis and the rest of the old Spitfires about a very young Wedgewood coming off the bench to replace a suspended Matt Hackett in the playoffs and the Superman-like performance Wedgewood put on.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
like a previous poster mentioned wedgewood wasn't all that busy, but does anyone else find he exudes a sense of confidence in the net that visentin doesn't? it seems as though wedgewood knows as if he's going to stop the puck while visentin seems a tad bit anxious and nervous at times
That's how it was all selection camp. He is smoother in his movements, very much like Carey Price. It is the same cockiness that you want in a goaltender.

Last edited:

GM17*

Missed the game

Wedgewood is a clutch goalie. Plays his best hockey under pressure.

How was Huberdeau? Getting some mixed reviews. "Rusty" (first game since like Nov9th I think) "The team is so much better with Huberdeau and Howden" also picked up a nice feed on the highlights.

Any abhorrent defensive gaffs? how is the D corps doing?

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
After watching the last 2 games

Wedgewood should be the clear no1, the guy is very confident between the pipes! Vicentin is shaky.

On Defence, Gormley is a beast and he is clearly the best D for Canada. Oleksiak Murray and Harrington play very well Defensively and on PK. Beaulieu is playing well in the offensive zone and PP but defensively he's average. Hamilton see Beaulieu but a little better on D. Pysyk is the 7th D so far not much to say about him.

The First line sould be amazing this year Huberdeau-Scheifele-DSP have everything to succeed. Huberdeau have some chance to win MVP in this tournment, this kid is amazing.
Second line have a lot of chemistry so far and this line could also be the no1 line. Stone is really impressive and Schartz is the best to protect the puck. Really love Bournival so far, think this guy is probably the best 2way player on this team with Hamilton. Gallagher seem a little bit selffish with the puck in the offensive zone. Connelly and Jenner are playing well so far. Howden was rusty yesterday but should help on the PK. Strome and Person are meh so far.

Last edited:

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
After watching the last 2 games...

On Defence, Gormley is a beast and he is clearly the best D for Canada. Oleksiak Murray and Harrington play very well Defensively and on PK. Beaulieu is playing well in the offensive zone and PP but defensively he's average. Hamilton see Beaulieu but a little better on D. Pysyk is the 7th D so far not much to say about him.

IMO Oleksiak has been ok but I still think he looks slow and a step behind defensively... playing a weak team like the Swiss maybe hides some of his flaws.

As for Pysyk, he has been playing a regular shift partnered with Beaulieu, and he has been extremely solid... I'm pretty sure I heard Kevin Prendergast in a radio interview talk about how they had him paired with the more offensive-minded Beaulieu specifically because he was so strong defensively.

Tonights game against a stronger team should really show what pairings Hay is going to be leaning on going into the tournament.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I actually think Oleksiak is the odd man out. He's looked a bit slow out there compared to the rest of Team Canada's defensemen.

I think these pairings will stick:

Gormley - Hamilton
Harrington - Murray
Beaulieu - Pysyk
Oleksiak

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Just finished watching the game, and it was a fun one. Canada clearly dominated, and the Swiss couldn't quite establish their presence in the attacking zone. Too bad, as I was hoping they'd present more of a challenge.

It's hard to say who the best players on the Canadian team were in such a lopsided game, but I was most impressed with Gormley, Schwartz and Stone. I liked Jenner's and Bournival's physical game, as well, and Murray was also really solid on the back end. I didn't notice Oleksiak much, though, except for that penalty he took, so I can't say I'm as impressed by him as I was when I saw his stats.

As far as the Swiss go, I thought Wolf played a really solid game in net, even though he gave up seven goals. I don't really think he could have had any of them, though, and he looked very composed on the saves he made, with his positioning pretty much spot on at all times. Dave Sutter had a strong game, as well, and as for other defensemen, Kukan was decent, but looked really puzzled on that fifth goal. On the attack, Bartschi was alright, but I was most impressed with Haas and Hofmann, who I think at least in this game outperformed him. But again, hard to say in such a game, since all you could see were some good individual plays and checks ultimately leading nowhere and being broken up by the Canadians. Still, looking forward to see how this team does in the tournament.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
One of the worst things about being a Canadian Hockey fan is you can never really enjoy the hockey. The world is always gunning for you and...

And even when we win Gold we can only enjoy the victory briefly because we start to worry about winning the next tournament. :cry:

When you think like that it's no wonder you don't enjoy hockey. A more humble approach would pay dividends.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005

Those aren't the worst parts of being a Canadian hockey fan but you did touch on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad