GDT: Pre-Competition • Dec. 19 • Canada vs. Finland • 3-1 final score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latex*

I was there and it was pretty quiet. A lot of families with kids. Our section was nice and rowdy, but that was about it. I'd also say far closer to 50-60% full, as the lower bowl was maybe 70%, and then the second level was less than half, and then the top rows were pretty much empty. Once the actual round robin games start, expect it to be a lot louder.

Pelly-Smith was really going all out on hits, Oleksiak too, but the latter wasn't exactly awe inspiring otherwise. Murray left me wondering why he's touted so highly.

For the Fins, the only player that really stood out in a positive light for me was Markus Granlund. Sure he didn't have a point like his brother, but he had some great chances, and read the ice very well, always seemed to be in the perfect position for a solid chance. Also quite impressed with his time on the PK.

Joel Armia stuck out in a bad way for the Fins. Not very impressed at all.

Lol, Ma.G played well? He didn't create a single chance himself and wasn't able to bury any of the chances his bro set him up for.

Would really like to see Armia tried in his place in the 1st line.

Oh, and Ristolainen kicks ass! Terrific game by him :yo:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Hovinen was really bad, so now IMO he will be sent out, not Nyqvist. So slow and ****** player in this competition.

Finland's best defense-pair was probably Ristolainen - Riikola. Ristolainen was great with his passing game, I think that every pass he gave, found own player. Riikola was good too. Pokka was horrific in own zone, Määttä showed nothing special but was good in front of own goal. Hakanpää played pretty good, but that third goal was his fault. Mäkinen played pretty good too, but he's pretty soft, so that's why he plays with Hakanpää.

I agree Ristolainen was clearly the best defender. He has much more talent than Määttä. He has to be more consistent in own zone.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Lol, Ma.G played well? He didn't create a single chance himself and wasn't able to bury any of the chances his bro set him up for.

Would really like to see Armia tried in his place in the 1st line.
Granlund bros have awesome chemistry, and you would put a coasting Armia in Markus place? No thanks, Markus actually does stuff even if he isn't scoring.
He has much more talent than Määttä.
Dude, that was one game. Ristolainen hasn't been anything special for TPS this season. Määttä plays 25 minutes a night for London.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
One guy who could influence and act like this came to my mind:

Helminen, dont force him to just throw some saucers, he can shoot too, hes not next Raipe! :laugh:

HA! so that's was the missing link, i clearly saw that but didn't figure why.. well spotted, thank you :handclap:

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I was there and it was pretty quiet. A lot of families with kids. Our section was nice and rowdy, but that was about it. I'd also say far closer to 50-60% full, as the lower bowl was maybe 70%, and then the second level was less than half, and then the top rows were pretty much empty. Once the actual round robin games start, expect it to be a lot louder.

Pelly-Smith was really going all out on hits, Oleksiak too, but the latter wasn't exactly awe inspiring otherwise. Murray left me wondering why he's touted so highly.

For the Fins, the only player that really stood out in a positive light for me was Markus Granlund. Sure he didn't have a point like his brother, but he had some great chances, and read the ice very well, always seemed to be in the perfect position for a solid chance. Also quite impressed with his time on the PK.

Joel Armia stuck out in a bad way for the Fins. Not very impressed at all.

the T.V is as close as i can get, but Canada looked nervous in the first period. The Finns were the much better of the teams early. What a first line. Very impressive.
I was impressed with Smith Pelley, Gormley, Hamiltons, Schwartz, Gallagher.
This team needs production from the center ice slot and need to bury the chances.
Overall, would you say a good team showing?

Latex*

Granlund bros have awesome chemistry, and you would put a coasting Armia in Markus place? No thanks, Markus actually does stuff even if he isn't scoring. Dude, that was one game. Ristolainen hasn't been anything special for TPS this season. Määttä plays 25 minutes a night for London.

...against kids. They're playing in the same team against the same opponents now. This is where it's best to evaluate their skills. Ristolainen was waaay better. Get over it.

Oh, and you'll see some Miettinen type net missing from great scoring chances with Ma.G on that line. You'll see... at least I have seen way too much of it this season.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Yep, and Määttä played already last season against men in Mestis, Ristolainen has come from juniors to TPS and plays his first season against men, immediately in the highest level in Finland. So I don't recommend to look at his +/- in SM-liiga, because he was playing too much and got tired before he was injured. He started his career in SM-liiga great with couple of goals and that kind of thing, but when he played over 20 mins per game due to many injuries in TPS, he got tired IMO and his playing didn't look as fine as at the beginning. After injury and rest he came back with a goal and his playing looked much better. So I think that now when he has got rest enough, he will play fine in this tournament.

And don't forget that Ristolainen isn't eligible to be drafted in 2012 NHL Draft, because he's born late October. So the year 2013 is when he is drafted, so I'm waiting pretty small number for him if he develops fine.

It would be pretty stupid to compare Määttä and Ristolainen right now.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
...against kids.
In a league that produces most of the NHLs talent? So?
They're playing in the same team against the same opponents now. This is where it's best to evaluate their skills. Ristolainen was waaay better. Get over it.
That's why i said, one game. Ristolainen has been terrible defensively for TPS this season.
Oh, and you'll see some Miettinen type net missing from great scoring chances with Ma.G on that line. You'll see... at least I have seen way too much of it this season.
Again you missed the point. I rather have a defensively sound player in Markus in the 1st line who has chemistry with his brother, than a coasting Armia who could finish more scoring chances but would also 100% lead to more scoring chances in the other end too. Besides Pulkkinen had most of the scoring chances from that line in this game and I liked what I saw from that line. Donskoi was a pleasant surprise with his Datsyuk like moves from time to time, why u no use them in FEL? Salomäki was himself, creating chances and annoying the **** out of the canadians. And Armia, well he was Armia. At times amazing, but most of the time a huge disappointment. D-men were all pretty good, I like what I saw from Pokka especially.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Mäkinen suprised me with a good game, Nyquist was quite ok as well but Hovinen wasn't good enough. He should be the one to go home.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In a league that produces most of the NHLs talent? So? That's why i said, one game. Ristolainen has been terrible defensively for TPS this season. Again you missed the point. I rather have a defensively sound player in Markus in the 1st line who has chemistry with his brother, than a coasting Armia who could finish more scoring chances but would also 100% lead to more scoring chances in the other end too. Besides Pulkkinen had most of the scoring chances from that line in this game and I liked what I saw from that line. Donskoi was a pleasant surprise with his Datsyuk like moves from time to time, why u no use them in FEL? Salomäki was himself, creating chances and annoying the **** out of the canadians. And Armia, well he was Armia. At times amazing, but most of the time a huge disappointment. D-men were all pretty good, I like what I saw from Pokka especially.

Sorry, have to ask. How many games from TPS have you seen this year?

Latex*

In a league that produces most of the NHLs talent?

In a league that 95% of the kids will never be good enough to play the game as a professional.

So? That's why i said, one game. Ristolainen has been terrible defensively for TPS this season. Again you missed the point. I rather have a defensively sound player in Markus

Defensively sound up my ass. The guy is useless defensively, I have no idea why Raipe used him on the PK.

Who cares if Ristolainen has been terrible defensively this year in SM-Liiga if he's playing way better than Määttä in this tournament. We've seen so many times over the past few years that the WJC is a whole different world. See:

Mi Granlund 2 years ago---> terrible,
Toni Rajala every year he was in the team---> Terrible,
Salomäki as the extra forward last year based on his Sm-Liiga play but got in to play due to injuries----> was terrific,

etc.

in the 1st line who has chemistry with his brother, than a coasting Armia who could finish more scoring chances but would also 100% lead to more scoring chances in the other end too. Besides Pulkkinen had most of the scoring chances from that line in this game and I liked what I saw from that line. Donskoi was a pleasant surprise with his Datsyuk like moves from time to time, why u no use them in FEL? Salomäki was himself, creating chances and annoying the **** out of the canadians. And Armia, well he was Armia. At times amazing, but most of the time a huge disappointment. D-men were all pretty good, I like what I saw from Pokka especially.

What game did you watch? Pokka wasn't good at all for my liking. Oh, and Donskoi looked good but couldn't create any real chances unlike Armia who shot the puck real nicely and many times.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
SoupyFIN, you don't have to say more, if you say that Ristolainen has been terrible defensively in TPS. Just be quiet with this case, plusminus-stats doesn't tell the truth. As I said, when he came to play his first men's games, he was pretty close to be TPS's best defender. Because of that and because of injuries, he got too much ice time and got tired. After that his playing went worse and that's why he got so much minus (+ his defence-pairing wasn't best possible, Seppänen, Vittasmäki etc.). Then he got injured and after a two-week-rest he came back and played much better.

I'd say that you have been terrible by writing this. Or how about this game? Ristolainen was one of the best defenders in Finland and he's passing% was about 100 + 0 mistakes with the puck. The only defence-pair that didn't let Canada score today was Ristolainen - Riikola, which was our best pair.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Mäkinen was best performance for the expectations of the D. Look at the game and follow #4, canadians forecheck very agressively and seems theres no space but he allways seems very confident, like he had much of time, and makes good play. Im not sure if that Määttä is even better than him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Who cares if Ristolainen has been terrible defensively this year in SM-Liiga if he's playing way better than Määttä in this tournament.
We aren't even yet in the tournament, one game gone like I said. :help:
Defensively sound up my ass. The guy is useless defensively, I have no idea why Raipe used him on the PK.
Seriously, do you have such a huge mancrush for Mikael that you completely ignore Markus game? You can't compare the brothers and expect Markus to do the same things as Mikael does. Markus might not be the Selke-candidate that you are looking for, but he damn surely is better than Armia defensively. And what is the point at having Pulkkinen&Armia in the same line, they are both shoot-first guys (and don't say that Pulkkinen isn't like that anymore, he has been a shoot-first guy in the WJCs).
What game did you watch? Pokka wasn't good at all for my liking.
I guess you were expecting a Norris-trophy winning performance? IMO he was solid defensively, and exceeded my exceptations for him.
SoupyFIN, you don't have to say more, if you say that Ristolainen has been terrible defensively in TPS. Just be quiet with this case, plusminus-stats doesn't tell the truth. As I said, when he came to play his first men's games, he was pretty close to be TPS's best defender. Because of that and because of injuries, he got too much ice time and got tired. After that his playing went worse and that's why he got so much minus (+ his defence-pairing wasn't best possible, Seppänen, Vittasmäki etc.). Then he got injured and after a two-week-rest he came back and played much better.
Yea, of course I've been watching only the plusminus-stats and made my conclusions. :shakehead Sure he has been great offensively, but defensively? No.
I'd say that you have been terrible by writing this. Or how about this game? Ristolainen was one of the best defenders in Finland and he's passing% was about 100 + 0 mistakes with the puck. The only defence-pair that didn't let Canada score today was Ristolainen - Riikola, which was our best pair.
When did I say that Ristolainen was terrible in this game? I just commented that liked what i saw from the defence. I just tried to calm down LK for giving Ristolainen the best defenders title and having more potential than Määttä based on a one game. I thought he played great, but I'm not sold yet.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
When did I say that Ristolainen was terrible in this game?

And when did I say that you said it? :naughty:

I dont understand why you say that Pokka was solid defensively. Connolly's spinaround move stoned him and that didn't look very good. And it wasn't the only mistake from Pokka. In first period he dumped a puck and tried to clear it from defensive zone by shooting it straight to canadian players. Devante Smith-Pelly had great chance to score but Gibson saved Pokka's ass, it wasn't very good play from him. Maybe the worst play by Pokka happened in third period when he fended on a shot and that's why Canada got 2 on 1 -attack but again goalie saved that try. So I think that Pokka was lucky not to get minus from that game. Pokka also had best scoring chance of Finnish defenders but he shot wide. That happened in second period when Barkov and Aaltonen made great play for Pokka but he didn't use it.

So Pokka was biggest disappointment for me, but I'm sure that he will better his playing, and it's good that Määttä plays with him.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I dont understand why you say that Pokka was solid defensively. Connolly's spinaround move stoned him and that didn't look very good. And it wasn't the only mistake from Pokka. In first period he dumped a puck and tried to clear it from defensive zone by shooting it straight to canadian players. Devante Smith-Pelly had great chance to score but Gibson saved Pokka's ass, it wasn't very good play from him. Maybe the worst play by Pokka happened in third period when he fended on a shot and that's why Canada got 2 on 1 -attack but again goalie saved that try. So I think that Pokka was lucky not to get minus from that game. Pokka also had best scoring chance of Finnish defenders but he shot wide. That happened in second period when Barkov and Aaltonen made great play for Pokka but he didn't use it.

So Pokka was biggest disappointment for me, but I'm sure that he will better his playing, and it's good that Määttä plays with him.
Maybe I was a bit sleep still when i watched it in the morning. :laugh: You can't really complain Pokka from failing with Connolly, Pokka playing in his first WJCs and Connolly already in the NHL. :laugh: But the main thing is that I wasn't really expecting that much from him, and he surprised me. I think he will make a great pair with Määttä. :nod:

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
In a league that 95% of the kids will never be good enough to play the game as a professional.
Well, Lemieux also played vs kids... Did he need to play at 16 in SM Liiga to prove he's good?
Also sometimes playing for ''men'' harms player developement too, like they either don't get enough minutes there or are forced to play in the 4th line when they have 1st-2nd line potential and are just too weak to play these lines at that moment.

Some time ago I though differently but now I think that really good junior leagues are where talents should grow, sure if you're an exceptional player you might play with the big team but sometimes they overuse underage kids in Europe...

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I only watched the last 2 periods but I came away very impressed with this team and how they've built it.

First thing that was noticeable was how fast the team was. We consistantly gave Finland problems with our team speed and transition game. I really cant remember a TC that has had this much speed top to bottom. We also werent running around trying to throw a huge hit every shift likes been the case in previous years. I think the last few years have been a good lesson for Canada and they realize that you need speed, speed and more speed if your going to win the gold medal.

A few player observations

Mark Pysek

He was rock solid all game. He seems to do everything well at a high speed and his skating ability really makes him quite the effective defensemen. I wouldnt at all be suprised that if by the end of the tournament he was one of the teams biggest minute eaters. Was my first time ever watching him play and came away very impressed.

Boone Jenner

I've liked this guys game for awhile and wanted the Leafs to draft him in the first round so not really suprised he had a good game. His skating looked to have improved over last season and in a short tournament like this he could be a usefull player put in many different situations. He was prollly the most noticeable player for me in periods 2/3.

Devante Smith Pelley

What a tank. Looked like a bigger Jordan TooToo in that game. 10 Hits in one game? Damn

Dougie Hamilton

I've started to notice that he tends to turn the puck over a bit or just make some sloppy pass's in general. He has some nice offensive skills but I really didnt like his game last night from a defensive pov. I hope he can be very steady defensively this tournament because hes going to be seeing lots of minutes.

Overall I really like the feel/look of this team. They seem to have great depth and they looked alot more solid defensively then in the past 2-3 years. I also liked how well they seemed to move the puck up the ice and won alot of 50/50 pucks solely because of there speed.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I only watched the last 2 periods but I came away very impressed with this team and how they've built it.

First thing that was noticeable was how fast the team was. We consistantly gave Finland problems with our team speed and transition game. I really cant remember a TC that has had this much speed top to bottom. We also werent running around trying to throw a huge hit every shift likes been the case in previous years. I think the last few years have been a good lesson for Canada and they realize that you need speed, speed and more speed if your going to win the gold medal.

A few player observations

Mark Pysek

He was rock solid all game. He seems to do everything well at a high speed and his skating ability really makes him quite the effective defensemen. I wouldnt at all be suprised that if by the end of the tournament he was one of the teams biggest minute eaters. Was my first time ever watching him play and came away very impressed.

Boone Jenner

I've liked this guys game for awhile and wanted the Leafs to draft him in the first round so not really suprised he had a good game. His skating looked to have improved over last season and in a short tournament like this he could be a usefull player put in many different situations. He was prollly the most noticeable player for me in periods 2/3.

Devante Smith Pelley

What a tank. Looked like a bigger Jordan TooToo in that game. 10 Hits in one game? Damn

Dougie Hamilton

I've started to notice that he tends to turn the puck over a bit or just make some sloppy pass's in general. He has some nice offensive skills but I really didnt like his game last night from a defensive pov. I hope he can be very steady defensively this tournament because hes going to be seeing lots of minutes.

Overall I really like the feel/look of this team. They seem to have great depth and they looked alot more solid defensively then in the past 2-3 years. I also liked how well they seemed to move the puck up the ice and won alot of 50/50 pucks solely because of there speed.

I am not disputing anything you said but it is worth noting that team Finland apparently arrived the day previous to the game. I am sure they will be a bit faster after they adjust to the time difference.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
After watching the whole game a couple of times, I must I REALLY like what I was seeing from this team, despite the result.

Our first line - it just oozes chemistry. Apart from the PP goal finishing the plays left a bit to be desired, but it still is extremely rare to see a line that has every other aspect of its play in place at a stage like this. You give 'em a couple more games and what you've got is an unit everybody should be afraid of.

On paper, that second line doesn't look bad either. It's got Salomäki as the space-creator, Donskoi as the set-up man and Armia as the finisher. In order for it to work though, the latter needs to wake up, but I'm willing to give it a couple more games as well.

Two-way game in the bottom lines is in place. Barkov especially looked very mature in that direction.

The good news concerning our D is that they support our offense very well. That first short pass cycles out quickly enough and allows the team to cross the blueline as one cohesive unit. The skill is there, both offensively and defensively. These guys just need to stay fully awake shift in and out because technically every goal they allowed was due to some kind of personal mistake. Out of solid performers those who praised Mäkinen were spot on. He might be a bit more than Helminen's sauna buddy after all.

I want to see a full game from Aittokallio before I judge our goaltending, but at the moment I don't think there's anything that would make me worry extensively.

The Little Lions are in a good form overall. Lot better than what they were during the last couple of years at this stage. Work away the jet lag and you have a serious medal contender in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad