Power play

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Jackets have scored a decent 76 total goals. But they have a laughable 9.3% PP. How can that even be? Who runs the power play and how long can this go on?

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Personally, I love it.

We were told last season when our PP was operating at about 30% that the team was a product of unsustainable numbers.

Now, when an average powerplay would have scored 10 more goals by now, we are told that there is no saving it, and a trade must be made. All the while we are sitting towards the very top of the league.

As frustrating as it is to watch, it surely will come around. I can only think of one game where the PP should have had goals that ultimately resulted in a loss.

It has been very, very bad. Everyone involved is to blame. The team has been winning while looking like it can't play worse.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think the Jackets PP is at the point where players are afraid to make a mistake and are gripping their sticks too tightly.

What they need to do is work on winning the face-off to start the PP, getting zone possession, having a 3 pass maximum once in the zone, and then letting it rip.

Also, I'm a proponent of advising players that if you can't shoot it past the PKers, try to shoot it through them. Maybe then it'll turn into an abbreviated 5 on 3.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
They seemed to kind of do this at the end of last game, but just roll out a regular forward line with 2 D and tell them to go play. This team is pretty good 5-on-5, so play it as such. Once they get the monkey off their back and get a couple more goals, they can start tinkering with it again.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
They seemed to kind of do this at the end of last game, but just roll out a regular forward line with 2 D and tell them to go play. This team is pretty good 5-on-5, so play it as such. Once they get the monkey off their back and get a couple more goals, they can start tinkering with it again.

Best plan I've heard so far.

Reactions: Mac DeMarco

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think the Jackets PP is at the point where players are afraid to make a mistake and are gripping their sticks too tightly.

What they need to do is work on winning the face-off to start the PP, getting zone possession, having a 3 pass maximum once in the zone, and then letting it rip.

Also, I'm a proponent of advising players that if you can't shoot it past the PKers, try to shoot it through them. Maybe then it'll turn into an abbreviated 5 on 3.
The problem is making the right passes, you can make 3 passes and the person shooting could've been setup to take a shot right into someone's shin guards when one more pass could've been panarin back door all alone.

Idk what to change to make it work, but whatever they are doing isn't working.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The problem is making the right passes, you can make 3 passes and the person shooting could've been setup to take a shot right into someone's shin guards when one more pass could've been panarin back door all alone.

Idk what to change to make it work, but whatever they are doing isn't working.
The problem is that players are afraid to put one off a stick or the shin pads. I know that's a recipe for an odd man rush the other way, but I think the team needs to simplify and if an opponent is standing in the way of a shot, put it off him as hard as you can. Maybe aim higher than the shins. Eventually, they'll open up the lanes if you drop enough players.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It must be a tactical issue. Because one thing's for sure the work rate is definitely there, and there kind of should be enough skill to put some pucks in the net. A lot of less talented teams score more often on the PP.

But if you draw it up wrong - what can you do as a player?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
The Jackets have scored a decent 76 total goals. But they have a laughable 9.3% PP. How can that even be? Who runs the power play and how long can this go on?

The first rule of John Tortorella's Power Play: Nobody talks about the power play!

Last edited:
Reactions: 213 Sentinel

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I think what the Jackets need to do is (a) waste 1/2 the power play tossing the puck aimlessly in a semicircle, then have someone finally either throw the puck at the goalie's chest from the blue line or miss the net altogether, (b) avoid movement, and (c) avoid cross-ice passes that create danger. That should fix it.

Hard to believe no one has gotten fired over this. We're coming up on an entire year of a horrible PP.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think what the Jackets need to do is (a) waste 1/2 the power play tossing the puck aimlessly in a semicircle, then have someone finally either throw the puck at the goalie's chest from the blue line or miss the net altogether, (b) avoid movement, and (c) avoid cross-ice passes that create danger. That should fix it.

Hard to believe no one has gotten fired over this. We're coming up on an entire year of a horrible PP.

Pretty much this. They can't get into the zone, they can't get the pp set up, they pass aimlessly, they don't move, there doesn't always seem to be a guy in front of the goalie and we have too many offensively inept players out there.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Found this interesting tibit from a recent Portzline/The Athletic article... kinda hard to believe we haven't deviated from 1-3-1 with the setup listed below.

"At no point during this entire lull have the Blue Jackets switched to the type of power play that used to be standard across the NHL: two defensemen on the point, three forwards down low. Why not try Zach Werenski and Jones on the points, and Artemi Panarin, Wennberg and Atkinson down low? Or Werenski and Jones with the current top line, Panarin, Pierre-Luc Dubois and Josh Anderson?"

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
tumblr_m6v4yl32Ej1qk3d4oo1_400.gif

"We're trying the same thing over and over again, why it's not working? It was good once, it should be good again, since it's the same time of the year!?"

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Jackets never really get the defense out of their structured kill . Too much passing around the point . Sometimes u have to skate to the harder areas with the puck, and make the defense move to cut off the penetration .

Reactions: EdwardG

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It doesn't seem to be an issue of zone entries at all. I would think that our powerplay is gaining the blue line at least at an average rate, if not above average.

It really does seem to be a lack of shooting, or a lack of faith by the puck carrier that something will be done with the rebound.

All of the passing around the top of the zone from Panarin to Werenski to Wennberg and back again is not leading to these slick back door passes, so really, just shoot it.

Really, for as little as he is creating at 5 on 5, Jenner seems to be the only person jamming the puck to the net and playing for rebounds on the powerplay. That needs to be the approach for everyone.

Until it all gets sorted out, I wouldn't be putting out pp units as much as going with our normal even strength lines and trying to establish chemistry and confidence in the offensive zone.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The powerplay drains energy. And I would be OK with having this powerplay if they were at least generating chances every once in a while or having some close calls, but they don't. Nothing is ever close, and if there's ever a chance its because the other team royally f***ed up or someone made a great play on our team (PLD vs Anaheim).

I'm also sick and tired of giving up a breakaway per game at minimum.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Really, for as little as he is creating at 5 on 5, Jenner seems to be the only person jamming the puck to the net and playing for rebounds on the powerplay. That needs to be the approach for everyone.
This is another good point, I think.

I think the CBJ lack net front presence on the PP this season. Foligno is trying, but honestly I think Hartnell was a master at creating problems for goalies and defensemen down low. Not saying that losing Hartnell is the problem as I think there's a number of players who should be able to play down low.

Why do we need a player down low? The screening and redirections are nice, but even more important is that it often ties up a defenseman who is trying to box the forward out. This leaves 3 PKers to try to intercept passes or get in shooting lanes. Right now, I see 4 PKers skating around trying to disrupt play and getting to rebounds.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I think the CBJ lack net front presence on the PP this season. Foligno is trying, but honestly I think Hartnell was a master at creating problems for goalies and defensemen down low. Not saying that losing Hartnell is the problem as I think there's a number of players who should be able to play down low.

Why do we need a player down low? The screening and redirections are nice, but even more important is that it often ties up a defenseman who is trying to box the forward out. This leaves 3 PKers to try to intercept passes or get in shooting lanes. Right now, I see 4 PKers skating around trying to disrupt play and getting to rebounds.

I agree with you. They seem to have a design that has forwards flashing in front of the goalie and then moving on. Most of the time no one is in front of the goaltender. I think the idea is to suddenly "blind" the goalie as a shot is fired.
I've noticed that a number of successful power plays have two players next to and in front of the goal. Often times one of them is a defenseman.

On the other hand, Chicago's PP creates a lot of movement and oftentimes the puck ends up on the back door.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
It's power Play around here. Get over 5% in the last 50 or so attempts and I might think about allowing the use of a capital P.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

You forgot the most important part.

He's there to cash in on the rebounds. They try to get too pretty and shoot for the corners when they need to be shooting low to create rebound opportunities. Also you don't see the guys using the boards like the should.

Seriously just f***ing throw the first line out there, let them cycle the puck down low, first chance one of them gets they drive to the net, dragging a Dman or two with him opening up someone else up, preferably Zach or Jonesy up high or panarin along the top of the circle somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad