Speculation: Potienial Malkin Destinations

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lol Fredrick Gaudreau was a career AHLer up until the 2020-2021 season with the Penguins, where he played in like 20 games.

Trying to paint him as "pretty solid" is just insanity. Gaudreau was excellent this year and has shown he's a NHL caliber guy, but saying he was a better linemate than anyone Malkin had is pure captain hindsight. You'd be complaining non-stop if the Penguins entered next season with a guy of Gaudreau's track record was slated on Malkin's LW. That's like entering the year with Zach Boychuck on Malkin's LW.

Fiala made it work last year with a rookie (who had a terrific rookie year) and a bottom-6 center. He made it work while playing with the caliber of linemates you blame for Malkin's failures. So yes, I would take Fiala over Malkin going forward, because Fiala actually showed he could make it work with lesser linemates.
Where did I say that?

I said Boldy was significantly better, and he is. Being a rookie doesn't change that. Fiala didn't "make it work", he simply got a much better calibre of linemate to work with.

He and Gaudreau - who I liked a lot with the Pens and that take is in no way hindsight, check the tape - are a better combo than what Malkin got.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Where did I say that?

I said Boldy was significantly better, and he is. Being a rookie doesn't change that. Fiala didn't "make it work", he simply got a much better calibre of linemate to work with.

He and Gaudreau - who I liked a lot with the Pens and that take is in no way hindsight, check the tape - are a better combo than what Malkin got.

Boldy and Gaudreau is objectively not better than the linemates Malkin got. That's an absurd suggestion.

Boldy and Gaudreau had great seasons because of how god damn good Fiala is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Boldy and Gaudreau is objectively not better than the linemates Malkin got. That's an absurd suggestion.

Boldy and Gaudreau had great seasons because of how god damn good Fiala is.
Except they are. Boldy scored at a better pace as a rookie than Kapanen or Zucker have in their entire careers, and Gaudreau is serviceable in his role.

Neither Zucker nor Kapanen played even like capable top 6 wingers last year, which is why they're the two most disposable forwards on the team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Except they are. Boldy scored at a better pace as a rookie than Kapanen or Zucker have in their entire careers, and Gaudreau is serviceable in his role.

Neither Zucker nor Kapanen played even like capable top 6 wingers last year, which is why they're the two most disposable forwards on the team.

And again, that was because of Fiala.

Boldy came in as a rookie and lit it up because he was playing with an elite 5v5 player in Fiala. Gaudreau was serviceable in his role because he was playing with an elite 5v5 player in Fiala. I would take Boldy over Zucker and Kapanen, but Gaudreau is far below both of them and trying to use his results as he was carried by Fiala is ridiculous.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And again, that was because of Fiala.

Boldy came in as a rookie and lit it up because he was playing with an elite 5v5 player in Fiala. Gaudreau was serviceable in his role because he was playing with an elite 5v5 player in Fiala. I would take Boldy over Zucker and Kapanen, but Gaudreau is far below both of them and trying to use his results as he was carried by Fiala is ridiculous.
We'll get a good look at how Boldy and Gaudreau perform without Fiala this year.

I've got a feeling they'll fare a lot better combined than Kap and Zuck. Gaudreau's already done a fine job of making people who doubted him last year eat crow.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Literally every player says bullshit when it comes to taking less money. It's crazy how fans just keep falling for it.

Hockey players are people too. Normal people don't take massive pay decreases because they love working for their companies.
Relating “normal” people to people who already have millions in their bank account is problematic.

The difference between 6.5 million/year vs 8 million/year for one person can sometimes feel like a lot less, than say, the difference between 40k-80k for another person…as contradictory and illogical as that sounds.

For example, my wife was offered another job with a substantial pay increase a few states north, in an area with a much cheaper COL,(and she already does very well) and she turned it down. The main reasons being that we already like where we live, and that moving is a major pain in the ass. (even when the new company pays for everything and pretty much does it for you).

Reactions: Andy99

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
If we are stupid enough to let Geno walk over a few million…this org deserves to be boo’ed out the wazoo.

This is a franchise legend who’se won damn near everything possible there is to win and helped get 3 Cups for our team. You don’t lowball or quibble with a guy like that over a few million…you say “take what you want…you’ve earned it!!”

If they foolishly let him go, I hope fan attendance plummets for years.

You don’t dick around with generational players. Who knows if we’ll ever land another player of Geno’s caliber again???

I’m willing to bet a hard no.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If we are stupid enough to let Geno walk over a few million…this org deserves to be boo’ed out the wazoo.

This is a franchise legend who’se won damn near everything possible there is to win and helped get 3 Cups for our team. You don’t lowball or quibble with a guy like that over a few million…you say “take what you want…you’ve earned it!!”

You don’t dick around with generational players. Who knows if we’ll ever land another player of Geno’s caliber again???

Clearly the plan is to let Letang and Geno walk, Sid misses most of the season with the monkey pox, and we tank to get Bedard for our next generational player.

I do not know why nobody else sees it. It's so clear.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Clearly the plan is to let Letang and Geno walk, Sid misses most of the season with the monkey pox, and we tank to get Bedard for our next generational player.

I do not know why nobody else sees it. It's so clear.

The Great Ape would be more susceptible to monkeypox, no??

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol, with what money?

theyre letting Strome walk and they have about $11 mil in cap space with about $2 mil more when they trade or release Reaves. They could do it but they won’t be able to sign remaining higher priced UFAs like Copp…

He's going to sign for $2 million so he gets a chance to play with a generational talent like Jacob Trouba.

Geno’s going to pay the Rangers $2 million to not have Trouba accidentally elbow him in the head…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Oh boy, you want the Penguins to be the Chicago Blackhawks? Yeah, I'll pass.

I want this team to be the best it can be. If that involves letting Malkin walk, do it. If it involves keeping Malkin, keep him. Don't let this sentimental "he's earned it, give him what he wants!" bullshit come into play.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Clearing a bunch of cap to make a big splash in FA with Malkin seems like a very New York thing to do.

Reactions: Andy99

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Oh boy, you want the Penguins to be the Chicago Blackhawks? Yeah, I'll pass.

I want this team to be the best it can be. If that involves letting Malkin walk, do it. If it involves keeping Malkin, keep him. Don't let this sentimental "he's earned it, give him what he wants!" bullshit come into play.

He has earned it though.

Unless we win another generational draft lottery (lol) we aren’t going to find any worthy caliber replacements if we let him go. We’ll end up overpaying some schmuck to just throw shit at a wall and seeing if it sticks. Which means probably getting ready for years of suckage.

Our stalling and potentially being cheap right now is exactly like how the Shithawks under Dollar Bill would have handled things.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He has earned it though.

Unless we win another generational draft lottery (lol) we aren’t going to find any worthy caliber replacements if we let him go. We’ll end up overpaying some schmuck to just throw shit at a wall and seeing if it sticks. Which means probably getting ready for years of suckage.

Our stalling and potentially being cheap right now is exactly like how the Shithawks under Dollar Bill would have handled things.

And giving Malkin what he wants because "he earned it" is exactly what the Hawks did with Toews. How is that working for them?

Again, if keeping Malkin makes your team better, keep him. If letting him go makes your team better, let him go. Don't let this sentimental crap influence the results. The sole focus here should be making the team as good as it can be. If letting Malkin go makes your team better somehow, you let him go.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
And giving Malkin what he wants because "he earned it" is exactly what the Hawks did with Toews. How is that working for them?

Again, if keeping Malkin makes your team better, keep him. If letting him go makes your team better, let him go. Don't let this sentimental crap influence the results. The sole focus here should be making the team as good as it can be. If letting Malkin go makes your team better somehow, you let him go.
To be fair though Toews is a top 100 player of all time while Malkin isn't. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad