Speculation: Potienial Malkin Destinations

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Penguins most likely. Doubt the KHL is any sort of on his radar with, y'know, the whole Russian genocide happening. If he leaves, it'll be to a contender on the cheap as he reportedly *really* wants to be the only Russian with four Cups.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Bergeron is saying he’s staying in Boston or retirement and yet Malkin gets these shitty threads, even though he’s said he wants to stay here…why can’t people take him at his word? Because he’s not Canadian?
Bergeron will get and deserves a bigger contract than Malkin. From Bahston

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Bergeron is saying he’s staying in Boston or retirement and yet Malkin gets these shitty threads, even though he’s said he wants to stay here…why can’t people take him at his word? Because he’s not Canadian?
With no respect to the Geno bashers, he's never come out and flat out said it's Pittsburgh or no where like Bergeron. All he's said is vague things like I'm not worried about money, I'm a rich guy. Don't get insulted if you get offered $5 mill per year when you publicly say you don't care about money.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Random thought...but maybe if Geno doesn't get what he wants from the Pens he holds out to sign mid-season?

I don't think that there will be much of a market for him among contenders at this point. But someone will get injured, some contender will have LTIR space in January-Feb...

Didn't Peter Forsberg do this a couple times?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Fwiw......probably not much....media talking heads.

Just heard a few stations speculating on the Malkin matter. Both felt he won't be back in Pittsburgh. One was Brian Lawton from nhln. The other, someone on 93.7 the fan, who said, "I don't believe Hextall and Burke want him back. But Sid definitely does, so that will be interesting to see how it plays out."

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
With no respect to the Geno bashers, he's never come out and flat out said it's Pittsburgh or no where like Bergeron. All he's said is vague things like I'm not worried about money, I'm a rich guy. Don't get insulted if you get offered $5 mill per year when you publicly say you don't care about money.
Malkin has said many times he wants to stay here in Pittsburgh. As for your last sentence, that’s not how professional contract negotiations work. This is not high school.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He has before this season…this year however, he hasn’t spoken much because he was out with injury and then the Russian invasion…maybe I’m putting words in his mouth but I think would say that signing with the Pens is his first priority…obviously he can’t control if they don’t want him back, just like Bergeron cant either

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Neutral fan passing by:
Its unlikely that he is going back home to play for his team (ofc they cant wait to have him back).
The thing is: I doubt he ever goes back home to live/work there.
5m is a rational price for a player so prone to injury and with less than stellar performance during this last season. In fact Id even say that his fair price is about 3m.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Malkin has said many times he wants to stay here in Pittsburgh. As for your last sentence, that’s not how professional contract negotiations work. This is not high school.
Every player who has even been on an expiring contract has said they want to stay in their current city.

That's exactly how professional contract negotiations work. Malkin tipped his hand by saying he is more concerned with his legacy here than the amount he is paid. It's not like he's in the prime of career when he was worth whatever dollar amount he asked for. Hextall's job is to put together the best team possible and getting Malkin for as cheap as he can plays a big role in that.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Every player who has even been on an expiring contract has said they want to stay in their current city.

That's exactly how professional contract negotiations work. Malkin tipped his hand by saying he is more concerned with his legacy here than the amount he is paid. It's not like he's in the prime of career when he was worth whatever dollar amount he asked for. Hextall's job is to put together the best team possible and getting Malkin for as cheap as he can plays a big role in that.
This isn’t some comedy skit where a guy says he isn’t thinking about money and the GM goes “ta da! Got you! You said you don’t care about money so here’s a shit sandwhich of a contract offer.” Like, come on.

Neutral fan passing by:
Its unlikely that he is going back home to play for his team (ofc they cant wait to have him back).
5m is a rational price for a player so prone to injury and with less than stellar performance during this last season. In fact Id even say that his fair price is about 3m.
Keep going until you’re all the way out the door

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You have no idea what you’re talking about. This isn’t some comedy skit where a guy says he isn’t thinking about money and the GM goes “ta da! Got you! You said you don’t care about money so here’s a shit sandwhich of a contract offer.” Like, come on.
"A lot of you have never negotiated multi-million dollar contracts with athletes and it really shows"

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Neutral fan passing by:
3mil? 😂

1652803536915.jpeg

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Last I checked nothing has come out that said Malkin was insulted….the only rumor that has come out said Sid wasn’t happy about it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think there will be teams that would want Geno for sure…I don’t know the price but there’s contending teams with a need at 2C, like Minn and NYR who should be all over Geno over bringing back Strome…

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Really can’t see Geno leaving unless he’s forced out. 6-7.1 mil for 3 years seems so obvious.

Reactions: Gallatin

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Last I checked nothing has come out that said Malkin was insulted….the only rumor that has come out said Sid wasn’t happy about it.
I don't believe any of it regardless. These guys have been through a few contract negotiations at this point. They know the routine.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Bergeron will get and deserves a bigger contract than Malkin. From Bahston

Bergeron is older than malkin. He is not getting a bigger and better contract than Malkin. He isn’t getting more than Marchand either.

He might get 6x3 but that’s it. And that’s exactly where Malkin falls.

Reactions: Andy99

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Because it’s a hockey discussion board? Why can’t you just not read it? Who made you the gatekeeper of taking points on a website dedicated to this topic? Why is it a problem that people are discussing where one of the best players we have ever seen in the NHL, who also plays for our favorite team, will go? Oh, the horror.

I think he stays. I hope he stays. I hope it’s ok that I’ve posted this message in the HFBoards Penguins section made for this exact type of discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad