Value of: Potential Top Pairing LHD to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal's left D situation is ok. Emelin played pretty well last year overall, and if he can bring that to camp he could work as Weber's partner (talk about a big hitting pairing). As I see it, all 3 LD (Beaulieu, Emelin, and Markov) have potential to play with Weber, all 3 have question marks (inexperience, old age, or inconsistency), but we'll see at training camp who can find chemistry with the big man.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Pacioretty won't be traded I would bet on that. And he's worth more then that anyway

I would, clean slate in the room and give Weber the C

Fowler wouldn't be my 1st choice either, actually would try and get Ghost, him and Weber would be awesome

Or a smaller deal with the Ducks to get Theodore, the 2 Sheas would be nice

mytduxfan*

Fowler is the most intriguing name in the rumor mill. I dont know what Ducks really need other than a back up goaltender. We have a few goalies we can use in the deal.

Don't know if they're looking for young forwards (we have a few of those as well - Andrighetto and Hudon maybe would help).

We need a highly-skilled, 1st line LH LW. So we'd probably be asking for either Patches or Galc in a Fowler+ scenario. I know what the answer from MTL fans will be to that, hence, I didn't ask for it. However, that would be the asking price. Fowler is a core player on our team and, up until 3 months ago, our #1D. We're not moving him for bottom 6 guys, back-up GTs and 2nd tier pieces. Core guy, for core guy would be the deal on the table.

Pacioretty for Fowler and Ritchie

Too much. I'd add our 1st, but we need Ritchie to play this year. Hopefully he's ready, but, if not, he's cheap and protected for next years expansion.

If the Habs are looking at Fowler, I'd assume McCarron would have to be going back the other way

Nope. No need for prospects. We need a win now piece of the Patches, Galc, Gallagher level.

***PLEASE READ*** I'm not asking for that trade. I know the answer. MTL needs offence as much as we do. It's doesn't make sense for them. ***PLEASE READ***

mytduxfan*

Maybe we have different viewpoints on what core assets are.

I consider some prospects core assets. You consider only high-end roster players as core-assets.

Let's agree to disagree to agree.

Why does it matter if they're "core" assets? They're still assets that you've said have to be involved in any deal. Therefore, this thread is still not a "value of" thread where we just tell you what it would cost. You can't put contingencies on a deal and then complain when we consider/ridicule those contingencies.

You've gotten what you deserve. The fact you won't simply admit to making a mistake is really telling of what you hoped to get out of this thread.

mytduxfan*

I would, clean slate in the room and give Weber the C

Fowler wouldn't be my 1st choice either, actually would try and get Ghost, him and Weber would be awesome

Or a smaller deal with the Ducks to get Theodore, the 2 Sheas would be nice

With the upcoming expansion draft, I'm sure you can understand that Shea isn't available.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Why does it matter if they're "core" assets? They're still assets that you've said have to be involved in any deal. Therefore, this thread is still not a "value of" thread where we just tell you what it would cost. You can't put contingencies on a deal and then complain when we consider/ridicule those contingencies.

You've gotten what you deserve. The fact you won't simply admit to making a mistake is really telling of what you hoped to get out of this thread.

It took you about 5 posts to tell me what it would cost for a potential top pairing LHD to montreal - I thanked you for your answer.

The first post was "We DONT want your 2nd tier blah blah blah" - then you claim that was in response to reading between the lines of my OP, which is incorrect.

We disagree, fair enough. I'm sure there's other threads you can post in.

Bye.....for now.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
With the upcoming expansion draft, I'm sure you can understand that Shea isn't available.

And Weber wasn't available either

If someone offered up a decent package for Theodore and was willing to take Bieksa back it allows the Ducks to save cash, protect their Top 3, and still win-now

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

You're telling me that a package INCLUDING say Beaulieu (which was what the OP suggested) plus say...Nikita Scherbak, Michael McCarron and a 1st round pick couldn't get you, under ANY circumstances, a top-pairing D ?

Cause I'm pretty sure it could if you find the right team which, again, is what the OP was looking for.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site

If someone offered up a decent package for Theodore and was willing to take Bieksa back it allows the Ducks to save cash, protect their Top 3, and still win-now

I don't think there is a situation where ducks can keep lindholm, fowler, and vatanen longer than 2 years.

So true while we may be able do something like that, we'd expose someone like Manson and we would lose out on a nice elc of Theodore which is needed due to our internal budget.

Frankly speaking fowler is a luxury we can't afford so if we can get a good cost controlled top6 forward then we have to consider it.

Personally id offer depres for Gallagher or fowler for galc.

mytduxfan*

It took you about 5 posts to tell me what it would cost for a potential top pairing LHD to montreal - I thanked you for your answer.

Sarcastically.

The first post was "We DONT want your 2nd tier blah blah blah" - then you claim that was in response to reading between the lines of my OP, which is incorrect.

:facepalm: It's written in plain English and you wrote it for crying out load. No "reading between the lines" here. :shakehead

We disagree, fair enough. I'm sure there's other threads you can post in.

Bye.....for now.

What do we disagree on exactly? The argument right now is that you said "Beaulieu/Emelin have to be involved in a deal". You seem to be disputing it/making up excuses/trying to deviate from the original argument/insulting me because you don't have a legitimate response and are unwilling to say "Ok, my bad".

If we're done, stop responding to my posts. It's entirely up to you whether we continue this argument, but I'm not going to let you change the argument because I'm schooling you.

Yeah, I don't see it. Ok, maybe if you overpaid, but we'd be talking about something really stupid like Hall for Larsson kind of level. Otherwise, it makes no sense for us.

I don't think the Ducks can keep Fowler passed this season. His new contract is going to put a strain on finances. We also already have 3 guys to protect in Lindholm, Vatanen and Manson (contract is incredibly cheap and he has great chemistry with Lindholm). In addition, moving out Fowler would allow Theodore to take that top 4 spot next season. I don't think many Duck fans have a problem moving out Fowler, I think many have a problem moving him this year. To many unknowns surrounding Lindholm (can he be a #1D?), Vatanen (how will getting more defensive zone starts affect his scoring totals?), Theodore (is he ready for the NHL and will he develop quickly into a top 4 that can replace Fowler next season?).

Btw, Bieksa has an NTC. I doubt he waives. Probably a buy-out candidate next year at this point.

You're telling me that a package INCLUDING say Beaulieu (which was what the OP suggested) plus say...Nikita Scherbak, Michael McCarron and a 1st round pick couldn't get you, under ANY circumstances, a top-pairing D ?

Cause I'm pretty sure it could if you find the right team which, again, is what the OP was looking for.

Who? Who accepts that package? A bunch of futures isn't enticing to a team looking to contend or a team that is building for the future (if we're talking about a young, top pairing D-man), especially if those futures are for a core guy that they're not shopping.

habsrule22

May 10, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
The better question is which LHD could we target near the trade deadline that is becoming a UFA. As it stands now with a somewhat healthy squad we are play off contenders

mytduxfan*

The better question is which LHD could we target near the trade deadline that is becoming a UFA. As it stands now with a somewhat healthy squad we are play off contenders

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2018/caphit/all/defense/ufa

Slim pickings... like real slim.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Sarcastically.

:facepalm: It's written in plain English and you wrote it for crying out load. No "reading between the lines" here. :shakehead

Please quote me saying we would not trade anything other than 2nd Tier pieces for a top pairing dman. Please.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Who? Who accepts that package? A bunch of futures isn't enticing to a team looking to contend or a team that is building for the future (if we're talking about a young, top pairing D-man), especially if those futures are for a core guy that they're not shopping.

Who said anything about either one of those two criterias ?
"Potential" is used as a synonym of "Possible" here, doesn't imply "young" at all.

You don't think a package like that would interest, say...a team like the Leafs for a defenseman like Jake Gardiner ? I think they're looking hard at it if that offer were to hit their desk. I think the Islanders, who have a lot of depth on defense, would also take a strong look at it.

I'm not saying that a package like that could get you a Shayne Gostisbehere, or Hampus Lindholm. But it doesn't change the fact that the package I propose does indeed have value.

mytduxfan*

Please quote me saying we would not trade anything other than 2nd Tier pieces for a top pairing dman. Please.

Please quote where I said you said that.

Who said anything about either one of those two criterias ?
"Potential" is used as a synonym of "Possible" here, doesn't imply "young" at all.

You don't think a package like that would interest, say...a team like the Leafs for a defenseman like Jake Gardiner ? I think they're looking hard at it if that offer were to hit their desk. I think the Islanders, who have a lot of depth on defense, would also take a strong look at it.

Jake Gardiner played had the 3rd most EV TOI/GP for TOR last season and the 4th TOI/GP overall. He's not a top pairing D-man. Morgan Rielly is the top pairing LHD for TOR and "no" it's not some 1A-1B type situation. Gardiner is a top 4 D-man. I think that package would be an overpayment for a player like Gardiner. I'm sure TOR would at least entertain the idea. However, that doesn't address MTLs need for a top pairing LHD.

Don't agree on NYI. I mean, who would they move? They aren't giving you Leddy and that's the only top pairing LHD they have.

I'm not saying that a package like that could get you a Shayne Gostisbehere, or Hampus Lindholm. But it doesn't change the fact that the package I propose does indeed have value.

Of course it has value, I never said otherwise. But it's not enticing enough that a team is going to give up a top pairing LHD, especially one that isn't being shopped. As I said before, I'm sure you'd get a top 4, but those are more frequent in the NHL, less coveted, less important and, thus, more expendable then top pairing D-men.

Sometimes, it's not always about the value of a package. It's simply about the quality of the pieces coming back, not the quantity, and how they help your team. Anyone willing to move a top pairing D-man is probably going to want either a top pairing RH D-man in return or a piece that helps their offence. That's why I think it would cost one of Patches, Galc or Gallagher.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Please quote where I said you said that.

Here's the chain:

Which teams have an excess of LHD - with a 1 - 1A type situation on the left-side and what would this player cost.

Obviously one of Beaulieu/Emelin would need to be going the other way.

So who has a top pairing LHD D-man going spare that would be willing to them for 2nd tier pieces and borderline cap dumps... errrrrrrrrr... no one.

I simply asked the price, no mention of 2nd tier peices and cap dumps.

Errrrrrr... do you even know what you've written in the OP?

:handclap:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Going to be real tough to get ,dont think MTL has the pieces they can move realitically to make a serious offer .Better off just trying to see if some of the kids can step up

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I thought the intent of a 'Value of thread' was to gauge what the value was.

Regarding Bealieu and Emelin, I was simply stated that 1 would obviously have to be moved/included in the deal - otherwise we have far to many dmen.

The 'Potential' top pairing dman title, has nothing to do with age. I clarified in my post that it would likely be a team with a 1 - 1A type scenario. Age has nothing to do with potential. There are guys who aren't young but play on teams with depth on defence that would be a better option on our top pairing.

I don't know why I have to outline the very nature of these types of threads. I am simply trying to see which teams have excess at LHD - with a player who might be an upgrade on our top LHD.

Duxfan - you said who would trade a top pairing left-handed d for 2nd tier pieces and borderline cap dumps.

Just so you are aware for future threads, in a 'Value of thread' - you can respond with what you think the value is - instead of giving examples of unfair value.

Close this thread please. I seem to have pissed people off by trying to gauge what the market value is.

:help:

Sure thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad