Value of: Potential Top Pairing LHD to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
With the Weber/Subban trade - our Defence looks a lot different.

I think Markov is still our best option as top pairing LHD - but he is slowing down and cannot be paired with Weber imo.

Beaulieu, personally hasn't lived up to my expectations. He is a good option at 2LD - but we currently have 3 dmen who can fill that role (Markov-Emelin-Beaulieu). Maybe Weber has a big enough impact on Beau, but I see the top pairing LHD spot as open.

Which teams have an excess of LHD - with a 1 - 1A type situation on the left-side and what would this player cost.

Obviously one of Beaulieu/Emelin would need to be going the other way.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Which teams have an excess of LHD - with a 1 - 1A type situation on the left-side and what would this player cost.

Ask Edmonton fans (or Chiarelli) how many teams have an excess defenseman.

I think the only possible target in the league might be Cam Fowler, victim of the Bieksa ****up.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Sergachev + Beaulieu will combine to be a solid #1LHD and #2LHD combo for Montreal in the future.

But for this season? Idk. Weber needs to play 30 mins a night. lol

mytduxfan*

With the Weber/Subban trade - our Defence looks a lot different.

I think Markov is still our best option as top pairing LHD - but he is slowing down and cannot be paired with Weber imo.

Beaulieu, personally hasn't lived up to my expectations. He is a good option at 2LD - but we currently have 3 dmen who can fill that role (Markov-Emelin-Beaulieu). Maybe Weber has a big enough impact on Beau, but I see the top pairing LHD spot as open.

Obviously one of Beaulieu/Emelin would need to be going the other way.

So who has a top pairing LHD D-man going spare that would be willing to them for 2nd tier pieces and borderline cap dumps... errrrrrrrrr... no one.

Gotta give to get my man.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I don't see our LD problem being so insane that we aren't a playoff team next season. I see a deadline deal more so than long term commitment. As it stands today, there is a reasonable chance that we lose Emelin (Limited NMC) to expansion, which isn't the end of the world. Adding a Fowler makes it likely to be Beaulieu.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
So who has a top pairing LHD D-man going spare that would be willing to them for 2nd tier pieces and borderline cap dumps... errrrrrrrrr... no one.

Gotta give to get my man.

I don't know who your man is.

I simply asked the price, no mention of 2nd tier peices and cap dumps.

You've fulfilled your daily quota of contributing nothing with a meaningless post. Thanks for the input.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Not only do you want a young potential top pair D, you also want the team to take a cap dump in the deal?

Look at recent deals involving young D... Prepare to empty your prospect pool and picks + Galchenyuk at the very least.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Not only do you want a young potential top pair D, you also want the team to take a cap dump in the deal?

Look at recent deals involving young D... Prepare to empty your prospect pool and picks + Galchenyuk at the very least.

1: Where did I mention YOUNG.

2: Since when is Beaulieu at 1M a cap dump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Beaulieu at 1M is a cap dump.....

Great contribution.

So disagreeing is bad contribution now?

For a type of player you're looking for, you'll probably giving up Galchenyuk and more. Or, alternatively, waiting and hoping that Sergachev is the real deal.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

For a type of player you're looking for, you'll probably giving up Galchenyuk and more. Or, alternatively, waiting and hoping that Sergachev is the real deal.

No adding content to the original proposal in order to be outraged by it is a bad contribution.

Considering a 1 million dollar 2nd pairing dman a cap dump, in order to be outraged is a bad contribution.

People like to come here and read between the lines in order to conclude that the original 'VALUE' of thread is outrageous so they can rebut.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes have two in Hanifin and Slavin. A deal based around Hanifin and Galchenyuk is something I would think about. Similar to Jones for Johansen.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
1: Where did I mention YOUNG.

2: Since when is Beaulieu at 1M a cap dump.

1. You said potential. This implies youth. Not many players over 25 (the age most consider players to be young) have top pairing potential.

2. You also listed Emelin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
No one's taking Emelin.

I really don't get the Emelin-bashing that takes place on HF. He's a solid #4 stay-at-home defenceman. I even saw someone the other day say they thought Brendan Dillon would be a good fit for their team but scoffed at Emelin.

:shakehead

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Canes have two in Hanifin and Slavin. A deal based around Hanifin and Galchenyuk is something I would think about. Similar to Jones for Johansen.

because MTL will open a hole up at C to fill one on LHD? No way Hanifin moves anyhow. And Slavin is a good young player, but isn't an upgrade on Beaulieu for MTL, so it doesn't help much.

If anything, MTL needs a 2nd pair puck moving LHD. But only if MTL can offload Emelin. otherwise they will platoon Markov and Beaulieu with Weber's 30 mins a night

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

While perhaps fair value, I'd be hesitant to deal Hanifin for Galchenyuk. I think Hanifin's potential to be a franchise D is really something he's capable of attaining. Now, something around Slavin, who also has a ton of potential and already is a top 4 LHD at worst, for Galchenyuk I could get behind.

I'd hold onto Hanifin for potential alone. However, at some point in the next few seasons, if CAR's current stable of young D don't regress, one or more of them will have to be dealt because GMRF won't be able to afford them all. Slavin's value as a top 4 D now, perhaps top-pair in the future, is probably at an all time high, so he'd be the one I'd reluctantly trade for forward help now. In the near future, I think Hanifin will outclass Slavin, so I'd still be looking at dealing Slavin, if the deal made sense.

I'm not that familiar w/ Montreal prospects, but would there be any interest in a young top 6 fwd prospect for Fleury? I think Fleury's on the cusp of being NHL ready, and he certainly has the potential to round out as a top pairing D, if not the absolute floor of being a solid 2nd pair guy.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
While perhaps fair value, I'd be hesitant to deal Hanifin for Galchenyuk. I think Hanifin's potential to be a franchise D is really something he's capable of attaining. Now, something around Slavin, who also has a ton of potential and already is a top 4 LHD at worst, for Galchenyuk I could get behind.

I'd hold onto Hanifin for potential alone. However, at some point in the next few seasons, if CAR's current stable of young D don't regress, one or more of them will have to be dealt because GMRF won't be able to afford them all. Slavin's value as a top 4 D now, perhaps top-pair in the future, is probably at an all time high, so he'd be the one I'd reluctantly trade for forward help now. In the near future, I think Hanifin will outclass Slavin, so I'd still be looking at dealing Slavin, if the deal made sense.

Slavin for Galchenyuk? I bet you'd get behind that.....but there is no way that happens. As high on Slavin as you may be, he lacks the value to be a cornerstone of any return for a #1 centerman.

mytduxfan*

I don't know who your man is.

I simply asked the price, no mention of 2nd tier peices and cap dumps.

You've fulfilled your daily quota of contributing nothing with a meaningless post. Thanks for the input.

Compared to a top pairing D-man, Beaulieu is a 2nd tier piece i.e. he's not fair value in a 1-for-1 like in the Weber-Subban trade - both being #1Ds. Emelin is a cap dump i.e. no one wants him.

You want a top pairing D-man, the "value of" one will be one of Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Patches.

Don't get pissy because you don't like hearing the truth about the situation. If you want to live in la-la land, you go right ahead. But it's probably best to stay away from the trade board if that's your prerogative. Here, we deal in reality.

Being told what you're asking for is unrealistic = bad contribution.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Compared to a top pairing D-man, Beaulieu is a 2nd tier piece i.e. he's not fair value in a 1-for-1 like in the Weber-Subban trade - both being #1Ds. Emelin is a cap dump i.e. no one wants him.

You want a top pairing D-man, the "value of" one will be one of Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Patches.

Don't get pissy because you don't like hearing the truth about the situation. If you want to live in la-la land, you go right ahead. But it's probably best to stay away from the trade board if that's your prerogative. Here, we deal in reality.

Being told what you're asking for is unrealistic = bad contribution.

I don't understand why you're getting so offensive about this thread when the OP didn't suggest that the Habs should trade Beaulieu/Emelin straight up for a 1LD, when he just said that there will be no space for them so they would have to be included in the deal.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
We will do with what we have right now.

MB did well drafting Sergachev as draft was the only way to fill the eventual lost of Markov.

For next season, i would say Beaulieu is the best fit to play with Weber. Should take another step up and playing with Weber will ease his progression. Markov with Petry. Emelin/Barberio with Pateryn.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I thought the intent of a 'Value of thread' was to gauge what the value was.

Regarding Bealieu and Emelin, I was simply stated that 1 would obviously have to be moved/included in the deal - otherwise we have far to many dmen.

The 'Potential' top pairing dman title, has nothing to do with age. I clarified in my post that it would likely be a team with a 1 - 1A type scenario. Age has nothing to do with potential. There are guys who aren't young but play on teams with depth on defence that would be a better option on our top pairing.

I don't know why I have to outline the very nature of these types of threads. I am simply trying to see which teams have excess at LHD - with a player who might be an upgrade on our top LHD.

Duxfan - you said who would trade a top pairing left-handed d for 2nd tier pieces and borderline cap dumps.

Just so you are aware for future threads, in a 'Value of thread' - you can respond with what you think the value is - instead of giving examples of unfair value.

Close this thread please. I seem to have pissed people off by trying to gauge what the market value is.

:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad