Potential OHL Expansion Locations

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Newmarket I think deserves another chance. 3700 seats at the Twinney complex. The population has grown a lot and within 15 minutes there are some major centres and there is about 300,000 people in the Newmarket and connecting communities..
Newmarket 90,000
Aurora 60,000
Bradford 40,000
East Gwillimbury 30,000 will be 40,000 with new development
Keswick 30,000
Not to mention a little further out you have other cities that are not to far like Stouffville and Orangeville and about another million in York Region.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
For selfish reasons I like the idea of Brantford again and Stratford. Both of these cities should be able to draw interest from visiting fans but that may not be enough to make them viable enough. If those two cites are listed then maybe Orangeville should be also. (gives a naturally rivalry to OS, Barrie, Guelph, Kitchener and Missy.
Just glad to see the poster not bring up the idea of Cambridge or Waterloo. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Honestly rather see contraction than expansion! Not due to lack of player talent available but General Managers talent available!;)

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
any new news on misssissauga lease?

None yet, same with Hamilton as well, though Hamilton will likely renew if the city gets in agreement with Andlauer on a new arena, as FirstOntario needs to be replaced within the next few years if the Bulldogs are to stay in Hamilton.

Mississauga is less certain due to financial losses and poor attendance, and ownership close to wanting to bail, not wanting to continue with 2500 or less fans every night..

And I thought Buffalo would be on the list, especially after they did that showcase earlier this season.
Cornwall has a good chance--it would help fix the alignment problems in the East, as Hamilton should be in the West, not in the Eastern Conference--of course, both Missy and Hamilton's lease issues are likely why the OHL is holding off on realignment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastpace

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
My top choices in no particular order would be
Brantford
York-simcoe/Newmarket/aurora/Bradford
Chatham
Buffalo-getzville(UB)
Toledo

Other American cities would be nice I just think you are competing against university teams in say lansing, Ann Arbor, Elmira/Ithaca/Syracuse etc.
running out of markets in Ontario. Much of the population is in the GTA and it isn't working there.

the dog

May 16, 2014
My top choices in no particular order would be
Brantford
York-simcoe/Newmarket/aurora/Bradford
Chatham
Buffalo-getzville(UB)
Toledo

Other American cities would be nice I just think you are competing against university teams in say lansing, Ann Arbor, Elmira/Ithaca/Syracuse etc.
running out of markets in Ontario. Much of the population is in the GTA and it isn't working there.
My would be Branford and Cornwall

Reactions: hockieguy

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Toledo is not really an option--they have an ECHL team in the Walleye. Buffalo, Brantford (if they get an arena plan) and Cornwall would be the faves for relocation, Chatham needs a new arena. Belleville would be an option as well if they weren't locked into the AHL (and doing reasonably well)

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010
The league has wanted into New York for awhile now. If Buffalo isn't an option Niagara Falls NY might be if they move ahead with their arena plans.

Cornwall is OHL ready and would be a safe landing spot if the Trout don't reach an agreement.

Newmarket would be interesting, but the league would want to see plans for a new rink, similar to the situation with the Ice Dogs when they moved to St. Catherines.

And Chatham and Brantford could work as possible expansion cities if they build arenas, but the OHL is in no position for that at the moment, and may be another 10 years before they entertain that idea.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: GensLensBrandon

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I'll mention one Ontario possibility that I haven't previously heard mentioned.
Woodstock, Ont. is a city that's growing, has a population with good-paying jobs, and is in a very good location on the 401 corridor. They'd need a building upgrade, but they're due for one, with their population growth. Their location is far enough from London/Kitchener so as to not affect their respective markets. Initially, they'd be a smaller market team, but with their projected growth, they could develop into an intermediate market, much like Belleville was.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Milton would be a good spot for a team. Right on the 401. It is one of the fastest growing populations in Canada and is connected to one of the densest population areas in Ontario. There is a lot of opportunity for employment there which makes it more viable. In saying that sometimes demographics plays a roll in attendance. Some areas may have a bigger population of soccer fans or if closer to say Toronto the NHL or AHL can effect attendance. As an example we use to go to games in Brampton and you could basically sit anywhere with the exception of club seats because the barn was empty. Anyone investing huge amounts of money in an OHL franchise really has to be aware of whether there is an interest in the game of hockey and whether the area can financially support a team long term. For what ever reason some cities just won't support junior hockey as we have seen over the decades despite having more than one franchise come and go.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Woodstock, Ont. is a city that's growing, has a population with good-paying jobs, and is in a very good location on the 401 corridor. They'd need a building upgrade, but they're due for one, with their population growth. Their location is far enough from London/Kitchener so as to not affect their respective markets. Initially, they'd be a smaller market team, but with their projected growth, they could develop into an intermediate market, much like Belleville was.

I think Milton would be a good spot for a team. Right on the 401. It is one of the fastest growing populations in Canada and is connected to one of the densest population areas in Ontario. There is a lot of opportunity for employment there which makes it more viable. In saying that sometimes demographics plays a roll in attendance. Some areas may have a bigger population of soccer fans or if closer to say Toronto the NHL or AHL can effect attendance. As an example we use to go to games in Brampton and you could basically sit anywhere with the exception of club seats because the barn was empty. Anyone investing huge amounts of money in an OHL franchise really has to be aware of whether there is an interest in the game of hockey and whether the area can financially support a team long term. For what ever reason some cities just won't support junior hockey as we have seen over the decades despite having more than one franchise come and go.
I agree with both you that those cities has the right location and growth potential to support an OHL team and would love both places to have successful teams.
But one item that I believe an OHL team needs to survive in which I don't think either city has nor does Missy or Brampton before. That one item is media coverage, the Toronto print media never gave any consistent coverage to the Majors or the Battalion. Did the Battalion have radio coverage and does the Steelheads?

Reactions: OSA

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I agree with both you that those cities has the right location and growth potential to support an OHL team and would love both places to have successful teams.
But one item that I believe an OHL team needs to survive in which I don't think either city has nor does Missy or Brampton before. That one item is media coverage, the Toronto print media never gave any consistent coverage to the Majors or the Battalion. Did the Battalion have radio coverage and does the Steelheads?
Not to mention that Mississauga and Brampton's arenas are 5 minutes apart. We need to consider the fact that aprox 75% of Bramptons population is visible minority who generally could care less about hockey. That is still a lot of people who have interest in hockey. Keep in mind there is a lot more to do in Brampton/GTA than there is in places like Woodstock Belleville or smaller communities. They don't have as many other entertainment sources to compete against.
Milton is in a similar location to Mississauga. Once again many South Asians that don't have interest in hockey can be factor into the demographics. 30% They are in the GTA as well, Literally a five minute drive to the Mississauga city limit and only about 20-25 minutes to the area. If Mississauga can't get people to go to games with 750,000 people 875,000 including Milton and almost 1.5 million including Brampton I don't think Milton is gonna work either.
Woodstock is questinable. 40,000 people does work in some markets. Owen Sound is half the size and doesn't really have to many big communities around it.
The could draw from Tilssonburg, Ingersoll and Stratford the question is witht the Knights being so succesful will people swithch allegiences and drive into Woodstock as opposed to London just to prevent a drvie into the city.

Reactions: hockieguy

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Media coverage used to be far more important than it is these days. Print media, in particular, is in serious decline, and folks these days tend to rely more on the electronic media for their daily news. A newspaper like the London Free Press, isn't even printed locally anymore, and their subscriber numbers have dwindled over the past decade. Smaller communities have "weeklies" as opposed to "dailies", so game-day coverage can be stale news by the time the paper is delivered. That said however, smaller communities do tend to support a team if it's the biggest show in town. With the cable outlets providing local coverage, most communities aren't so reliant on "main stream media coverage" as they once were.

A new team entering into a smaller community will be BIG NEWS within that community, initially. They'll also have the advantage, of not having to compete as hard for that community's entertainment dollars. They'll become the biggest frog in that small pond. That situation is ripe for growing a fiercely loyal fan base.

From Up Top

Apr 30, 2010

I think the potential is there for Woodstock if they build an OHL arena. The facility they have now is decent for Junior C, but lacks a lot of amenities. There is a local media presence with TV, Radio and Print which is a plus. My only concern would be London. I grew up in Woodstock and anyone who is a junior hockey fan cheered for the Knights as the community gets a ton of London media.

As for Milton, the population is nice but they would be in the same spot as they are now in Mississauga, but without the OHL size arena.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
my apologies guys
Just got back to this now - no need for apologies - not looking for that just the "why" was exactly that. Just curious on why all the posts on all of the threads - I find it better when you have a unique idea to keep it on one thread - then all the discussion is on that thread - easier for old people like me to keep track of the conversation, but if you wish to post it everywhere it is up to you I just wanted to know why. ( other self appointed monitors need to check their own posts before they get on a pedestal, thank goodness for the ignore button)
By the way good ideas - lots of work on this - I tend to like the idea of expansion heading north - Thunder Bay has been tossed around for a while and the city could support this no problem - the issue is travel - league could help cover some of the costs to fly teams in and out - teams would come in for 2 or more games on a weekend. Only have to make the trip once a year. Thunder Bay would fly south closest place to where they are playing and hit 4 cities in a week to save travel, but hotels do become an issue.
US of course is an option - Buffalo area might work - save some travel for Erie.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just got back to this now - no need for apologies - not looking for that just the "why" was exactly that. Just curious on why all the posts on all of the threads - I find it better when you have a unique idea to keep it on one thread - then all the discussion is on that thread - easier for old people like me to keep track of the conversation, but if you wish to post it everywhere it is up to you I just wanted to know why. ( other self appointed monitors need to check their own posts before they get on a pedestal, thank goodness for the ignore button)
By the way good ideas - lots of work on this - I tend to like the idea of expansion heading north - Thunder Bay has been tossed around for a while and the city could support this no problem - the issue is travel - league could help cover some of the costs to fly teams in and out - teams would come in for 2 or more games on a weekend. Only have to make the trip once a year. Thunder Bay would fly south closest place to where they are playing and hit 4 cities in a week to save travel, but hotels do become an issue.
US of course is an option - Buffalo area might work - save some travel for Erie.
After watching the WJT in Buffalo they just would not support junior hockey IMO. Also if Thunder Bay acquired a franchise it would need a huge following just to cover the cost of flying the team around and other franchises that are stretched for funds would want some compensation I would imagine. Major A is not an easy sell with the high cost of tickets for a lot of communities.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
From an economic and logistical viewpoint, it's probable that Thunder Bay would be a far better fit into the WHL than the OHL. They're nearer to the Manitoba border than to the closest OHL team. Winter travel to and from could be problematic at times, and not to mention more expensive. Cornwall did at one time play in the "Q", so it's not unprecidented to have an overlap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad