GDT: Post-Game: Wild @ Blues 1/27/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah, I think people are having way too big expectations for MiG at this point of the season. I mean he has played 5 NHL games, not 500. It's perfectly normal IMO that adjusting takes a few games more.

Plus, it's not like he has been completely horrible.

I expected more from him. I honestly thought he'd surprise me in a good way. Kid played pro men's hockey for three years and was lights out in the AHL.

It could take maybe 5-10 games for him to adjust and then start ripping it up...but if he's this quiet in two months we are in big trouble.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
It could take maybe 5-10 games for him to adjust and then start ripping it up...

This is exactly what I'm expecting. While he hasn't been at his best, I still think he has been OK considering the total performance of lines 2-4.

I think we'll see a good performance vs. Blue Jackets.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I expected more from him. I honestly thought he'd surprise me in a good way. Kid played pro men's hockey for three years and was lights out in the AHL.

It could take maybe 5-10 games for him to adjust and then start ripping it up...but if he's this quiet in two months we are in big trouble.

I really don't think MG has been set up for success given his line mates. Put someone on his line who skates like he actually gives a **** and I think you have something.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i think if granlund that gets some linemates that start putting the puck in the net he'll be fine. i would move up clutterbuck or brodz w granlund. gotta try something. when we signed cullen i thought we had a solid anchor 2nd line center , im kinda disappointed hes only had a 14G & 12G campaigns 4 us yet hes making twice what belanger made.

Last edited:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I just watched the game.

1st PP unit still so sweet. 1st line overall great effort and skill combined. Love how Parise manages to score in different ways.

2nd line looked good 2/3 of the game. In 3rd they didn't seem to get much ice time. I would've had them play more.

3rd was okay. Cullen had good ideas but bad execution. Brodzy maybe not as solid as he can be.

4th did what they could and should.

I found Scandella to be the best Dman for the Wild. He was physical and solid overall. The Dmen should shoot the puck more from the blue line.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
i think if granlund that gets some linemates that start putting the puck in the net he'll be fine. i would move up clutterbuck or brodz w granlund. gotta try something. when we signed cullen i thought we had a solid anchor 2nd line center , im kinda disappointed hes only had a 14G & 12G campaigns 4 us yet hes making twice what belanger made.

That's what I tweeted to Russo when we signed him...Eric Belanger for twice as much money. Don't think he liked it. Wasn't far from the truth :(

THEALLKNOWING*

That's what I tweeted to Russo when we signed him...Eric Belanger for twice as much money. Don't think he liked it. Wasn't far from the truth :(

Not surprised by Russo's response. Russo seems to only write what fans want to hear. He avoids criticizing locals because MN's really love their own. The same with fan favorites and those who give good interviews. Its all about maintaining and/or increasing readership of the StarTribune. I understand why he does it. But at the same time it diminishes his credibility. Don't dare question anything in his StarTrib articles/rants (the later one and the same no matter how they try to pitch it), or your comment will be a goner.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I thought the same thing. Cullen, at his peak, was a 2nd line center, on a bad team. Should have signed Jokinen. At least he would have been good with Bouchard and some plugger.

Moore. Belanger. Cullen. We got to stop with these lanky, weak tweeners who only have jobs because they are decent faceoff men.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
Hey guys. I am 1st a Hurricanes fan, but have been a Wild fan since 2008. My goal is to move to Minnesota at some point, so I get as involved as I can with the way the area reacts to things. I live in NC and go to Canes games all the time, and expect to be at Xcel all the time when I move. I just started here on HFBoards and I want to make a few comments.

Minnesota has had a lot of struggles the last few years in the sports world. Timberwolves lost Love, Twins lost Span and are in rebuilding mode, the Vikings gave some hope, but that was quickly washed away. Now we have the Wild back. Parise has been amazing. Suter has not. I can't really complain right now. The fact that our top line is a TOP line is just awesome. We haven't had that in years, since Gaborik was with Koivu. So, no complaints there. However, Suter's struggles have been worrysome. It's hard for me to go into panic mode very quickly, so I'm not giving up on Suter yet. I just think he needs a solid D partner again to get going. Spurgeon cannot come back soon enough. The bottom lines are struggling. I'm glad we didn't trade PMB after all, as he has been better than most of our other pieces, being Setoguchi and Cullen. (Also, no, we will not give you the other JF for Cullen.) I want to see people get called up as well, but not 5 games in. As for Goaltending, Hackett should come up and play a game or two. Harding has been fine, Backstrom has been pretty mediocre. Last night's game he had a few unlucky bounces, but he needs to be better. Hurricanes fans are very excited that we now have a capable backup to Cam Wad after one game. Dan Ellis was wonderful against Buffalo. I think Hackett could be that guy, maybe better.

I know some of this is kind of scattered, and also talked about earlier in the thread, but being a fan of Minnesota sports really is hard. I suggest we all try to not go into panic mode very quickly. I'd wait until game 15 to decide. If we are under .500, i'd get worried. If not, i'm sure we will be fine. I look forward to making more posts here and being active in both the Canes and Wild community.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Russo loved the Cullen signing, or at least he realized that Cullen was the Wild's #1 choice that off-season. Don't know why. I've need seen somebody as weak on the puck as he is.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
It was St. Louis Blues... dudes. They are monsters. It was the first time they had to go to overtime.

Imagine what happens when Wild start to play well.

UMD05

Hobey Baker Champs
Mar 5, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I absolutely hate that idea. Brodziak and Clutter are two guys who show up every game at the very least. Something Cullen and Seto don't do.

A few more games out of Seto and I've seen about enough. I really thought he would turn it around since he's in such great shape according to Russo. But lifting weights don't give you hands or a brain.

I couldn't agree more with this. In general, Wild fans dismiss these two players way too easily.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Russo loved the Cullen signing, or at least he realized that Cullen was the Wild's #1 choice that off-season. Don't know why. I've need seen somebody as weak on the puck as he is.

Two words: Cully's Kids.

If I read one more "heart warming.... blah blah..." ick... :shakehead

While I appreciate generous people, and Russo wanting to sell to the local market and all that jazz, if we are discussing hockey, none of that other stuff means a damned thing.

Cullen has not provided anything on the ice to this team.

Sneaky Priest

See you Nov. 2
Sep 20, 2011
Lino Lakes
Cullen and Seto have played like total trash. I DIRECTLY attribute Mikael Granlunds less then stellar start to his crappy linemates he has. Something has to change.......

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
jarick, any thoughts on who the wild should have signed if not cullen? (just wondering since you were right). some posters cant understand why im so concerned about a slow start (goal scoring) need i remind everyone we had one of the worst epic meltdowns in nhl history last year due to lack of goal scoring. i call it a 28 game skid even though we won about 5 games during the skid.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
jarick, any thoughts on who the wild should have signed if not cullen? (just wondering since you were right). some posters cant understand why im so concerned about a slow start (goal scoring) need i remind everyone we had one of the worst epic meltdowns in nhl history last year due to lack of goal scoring. i call it a 28 game skid even though we won about 5 games during the skid.
Olli Jokinen. The guy went on to put up 54 and 61 points for the Calgary Flames. Signed for less money and shorter term too.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Jokinen 1st choice, Saku 2nd choice, Cullen 3rd...although Modano was intriguing as a depth guy.

The last three years:

Jokinen - 40g 106pts
Saku - 27g 89pts
Cullen - 26g 49pts

LOL, I was looking through the names and came across "Erik Christensen". I immediately thought, "did he play for the Wild?" He was in our top six last year :laugh:

Billy Mays Here*

Wanted them to go after Jokinen so bad. Would've been a great 1-2 punch at center, and Jokinen is still even now a capable 2nd line center, he easily could've covered until Granlund arrived.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Paraphrased Yeo's presser today after practice:

We didn't lose because we didn't score enough goals, we lost because we gave up five goals.

Against Detroit we scored three goals, that should be enough to win.

Part of our identity is that we want to be frustrating and difficult to play against.

1. Make sure if you're not scoring, you don't get scored on.
2. Emulate the top line's mindset in how they generate chances.

There's a time to be physical, and there's a time to contain. If you try and be too physical, you lose position on them.

Spurgeon "possible" tomorrow...didn't sound good. He tried to skate and it wasn't good.

We're considering line changes. Not considering changing the top line for tomorrow's game.

Still got a point last night, .500 team through five games against tough teams. Team is not at full stride yet. Been a very good team in spurts but need to do it for full games.

Outside of the top line, everyone can do a better job getting chances. Other guys are getting chances (Cullen and Seto). They are doing the right things. Don't want to "blow it up".

Suter's incredibly frustrated...Yeo is trying to deflect. Says so many of the bad things that happened (goals against) are out of Suter's control. Doesn't think that Suter's being pressured, but is putting a lot of pressure on himself.

"We made it a tough game on our defenseman". Young defensemen did a nice job.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
I wonder if with everyone saying not to punch the Panic button yet, will there come a point someone will yet PANIC! on twitter and I can start finally panicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA