Proposal: Possible fits for Dadonov

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Purely speculative... Dadonov hasn't been the greatest fit with the Senators since his arrival. I like the player, it just seems like he might fit better with another team or something.

Wondering if there's any other teams out there looking for a 5M x 3 top six RW who has shown capability of being a pretty consistent 25G guy over the last few years. The ask wouldn't be high I doubt.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Purely speculative... Dadonov hasn't been the greatest fit with the Senators since his arrival. I like the player, it just seems like he might fit better with another team or something.

Wondering if there's any other teams out there looking for a 5M x 3 top six RW who has shown capability of being a pretty consistent 25G guy over the last few years. The ask wouldn't be high I doubt.

He might be a fit with the Oilers . What would it take ? Cap would have to go back .

Last edited:

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Can he play his off wing? With zucker out forngod knows how long and mccann never healthy he might be a good pick up if he really wouldn't cost much as a guy to play with malkin and kap.

Marcus Petterson plus a forward on an expiring contract such as Lafferty or Colton Scevior to help balance out the money?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I'd like him on the Flames, not sure we could take on his contract past this year though, would probably need Ryan going the other way

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Can he play his off wing? With zucker out forngod knows how long and mccann never healthy he might be a good pick up if he really wouldn't cost much as a guy to play with malkin and kap.

Marcus Petterson plus a forward on an expiring contract such as Lafferty or Colton Scevior to help balance out the money?

He's a lefty who plays RW, so I would think he could. I'm not sure the sens have played him on the left, I haven't watched every game this season (but most!).

I'm not familiar with Petterson so I couldn't really say if that enticing or not.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Its as if he went to whoever would pay him the most and not chase the cup.
He started his NHL career very late. Why wouldnt he try and cash in on some money before "chasing a Cup"? It's weird how often fans seem to forget that this is their profession first and foremost and these guys usually are retired by the age of ~35 and need this money to live off of for the rest of their life

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Koskinen or Neal are the 'cap'

Kahun+cap may work.

Doesn't sound like a fit. Neal is just a no, be better off keeping Dadonov at nearly the same cost obviously. Koskinen wouldn't be a good situation to get into even with all the injury woes. Would just clog up the bench for all the kids once Murray returns.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
He's 24, former 2nd rounder, past two seasons he's been a pretty steady but unspectacular defender. He tall and lanky at 6'3 and 180, so he's not very physical, but he has good mobility, a decent first pass, and uses his stick well while defending. His previous two years he was a 25pt per 82 gm player.

I see him as a guy who could turn into a lanky and goofy looking version of Paul martin.

This season he has not been as good, he has two points on the year so far and has been inconsistent on defense.

But, I believe that he will bounce back either with the pens or with a new team.

This season the pairings have been all over the map with all the injuries so it doesn't feel like he's had a consistent partner, ceci and Matheson have been better than expected and have been playing more minutes than anyone thought they would. On top of that Marino and POJ are going to both be big parts of the blue line moving forward so petterson is just kinda the odd man out.

He's a lefty who plays RW, so I would think he could. I'm not sure the sens have played him on the left, I haven't watched every game this season (but most!).

I'm not familiar with Petterson so I couldn't really say if that enticing or not.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
That’s a big contract in a flat cap world. He’s a solid player, I’ve always liked him, but he needs those guys who can get him the puck. Barkov and Huberdeau got him paid.
Yep: Really Barkov. All of Barkov’s RWs since Jagr and Bjugstad have averaged around .5-.6 ES points per game like Dadonov did: Dady’s first two seasons were the best but also correlated with an exploding Barky and Huby. Duclair is putting up better ES numbers than Dady last season (the gross point difference is due to Horny taking the RW on the powerplay).

Heck Verhaege, who has been switching wings, has been doing even better with 22ES pts in 29 games.

what am I saying? It seems that Dady has done as well as Bjugstad and Duclair even strength, which isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
That’s what I, and many others would do in that situation.

When you’re an average player, you couldn’t care less about cups, it’s not going to effect your legacy. You’re not good enough to have one. Get paid, because NHL careers can end in the blink of an eye.

FWIW, Ottawa likely won’t be worried about that contract since it’s only got 2 years left after this one.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I mean he’s having a down year, but still on pace for 23 goals - it’s his lack of PP production that is weird. Literally 0 PP goals.
He’s still a legit top six 25-30 goal guy, Ottawa isn’t getting rid of him for other people’s garbage lol.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Would anyone bite on something like this?

Dadonov
for
2nd + expiring cap dump + bottom-pairing defenseman or low-ceiling d prospect.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
That’s a big contract in a flat cap world. He’s a solid player, I’ve always liked him, but he needs those guys who can get him the puck. Barkov and Huberdeau got him paid.

Would Ottawa be able to retain?

He'd be an ideal fit on the Leafs top 6.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Whoever didn't sign for Tampa or Colorado chased money, not the cup.

To get great value for Dadonov the Sens would have to retain. He'd fit in the top 6 of most team has a complimentary piece, but generally team that compete for the Cup can't afford 5M for a guy like that.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Would Ottawa be able to retain?

He'd be an ideal fit on the Leafs top 6.

I doubt Melnyk would sign off on paying a player to play for *any* other club (much less the Leafs) for the rest of this year and the next two, unless the asset value being returned was monumental. It’s just not in the nature of the league’s most notorious pinchpenny.

It’s not that it’s a bad idea in concept. It’s just not an idea the Sens’ present owner seems inclined to consider.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
He's 24, former 2nd rounder, past two seasons he's been a pretty steady but unspectacular defender. He tall and lanky at 6'3 and 180, so he's not very physical, but he has good mobility, a decent first pass, and uses his stick well while defending. His previous two years he was a 25pt per 82 gm player.

I see him as a guy who could turn into a lanky and goofy looking version of Paul martin.

This season he has not been as good, he has two points on the year so far and has been inconsistent on defense.

But, I believe that he will bounce back either with the pens or with a new team.

This season the pairings have been all over the map with all the injuries so it doesn't feel like he's had a consistent partner, ceci and Matheson have been better than expected and have been playing more minutes than anyone thought they would. On top of that Marino and POJ are going to both be big parts of the blue line moving forward so petterson is just kinda the odd man out.
Because the quote was at the bottom of your post (at least on mobile) I read this as if you were talking about Dadonov. I was thinking what a terrible take..

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00