Proposal: Possible fits for Dadonov

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I doubt Melnyk would sign off on paying a player to play for *any* other club (much less the Leafs) for the rest of this year and the next two, unless the asset value being returned was monumental. It’s just not in the nature of the league’s most notorious pinchpenny.

It’s not that it’s a bad idea in concept. It’s just not an idea the Sens’ present owner seems inclined to consider.

I agree that they won’t retain on Dadonov.

Notably though, Ottawa just chartered a private Jet to fly Forsberg from Winnipeg to Ottawa to avoid a 7 day quarantine. That can’t have been cheap - so it’s a good sign that in some situations the team needs will be put ahead of $$.

Without Forsberg in the squad their goalie tandem would have been Gustavsson (15 minutes of NHL experience) and Mandolese (2 career pro games)

Back on Dadonov, let’s see what 10 games of Logan Brown on the PP can do for him.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Ottawa would take some cap back, but not albatross contracts like Eriksson/Neal.
I don't see them trading him this season though, come back next season.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
I would like to see him in Caps. Maybe something like Dadonov for Siegentaler, Panik and Copley?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Ottawa would take some cap back, but not albatross contracts like Eriksson/Neal.
I don't see them trading him this season though, come back next season.

Eriksson has one year left, and almost all the salary is paid. He does not have an albatross contract anymore, not to an internal budget team like Ottawa. The issue would be to hear what else would have to go back to make it worth Ottawa's while. Would that cost be too much for the Canucks not to just suffer through another year of 6 million cap before they say goodbye?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Eriksson has one year left, and almost all the salary is paid. He does not have an albatross contract anymore, not to an internal budget team like Ottawa. The issue would be to hear what else would have to go back to make it worth Ottawa's while. Would that cost be too much for the Canucks not to just suffer through another year of 6 million cap before they say goodbye?

If the contract is paid expect it to be one for one :(

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I mean he’s having a down year, but still on pace for 23 goals - it’s his lack of PP production that is weird. Literally 0 PP goals.
He’s still a legit top six 25-30 goal guy, Ottawa isn’t getting rid of him for other people’s garbage lol.
Exactly. It's not happening period imo. First year of the contract, solid player. We'll see how he fits in as the youth hopefully take a step forward next year.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Exactly. It's not happening period imo. First year of the contract, solid player. We'll see how he fits in as the youth hopefully take a step forward next year.

And seeing how he is the first UFA to choose Ottawa in like a decade I don't think they want to pull that dirty that fast

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Dadanovs in the first year of a new system, with a young rebuilding team, where he didn't get any preseason games and a reduced training camp.

Give him time. His contract is fine. He's going to get a hang of it. It takes time to get it back after such a long break from hockey and it takes time ti learn a new system, a new style of play.

Dealing him makes us a worse team and we really dont need that now. Let alone what kind of message does it send to the players to sign a guy to a 15million dollar deal and trade him away a few months later?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I don’t think Ottawa trades him unless he wants a change of scenery. That said, I was thinking earlier about a Dadonov-Debrusk swap. Ottawa probably adds something decent but felt it was an interesting start at least.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Can he play his off wing? With zucker out forngod knows how long and mccann never healthy he might be a good pick up if he really wouldn't cost much as a guy to play with malkin and kap.

Marcus Petterson plus a forward on an expiring contract such as Lafferty or Colton Scevior to help balance out the money?

Geez, why not add a $100 Massage Envy gift certificate too? That should make the difference!

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I would keep Dadonov even if it's just to entice Zub to resign with us. Apparently they have formed quite the bond with Anisimov and Zaitsev as well so in hope's of bringing back Zub, I'd keep Daddy for at least one more year and hope he rebounds with a full training camp/pre-season.

We're are definitely not taking massive camp dumps or lesser players/prospects in return. We aren't getting rid of him...

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So a 25 goal scorer who would fit on a top 6, signed for a reasonable 5m for three years, only returns a 2nd, an ok prospect and a cap dump ? Dumping Koskinen likely costs you soemthing right now.

Koskinen is hardly a cap dump. Typical comment from someone who doesn't know much about the Oilers. Right now, until Holland acquires a better one, we need Kosk and Smith in net. If Koskinen is traded in any of the proposals suggest on here lately, who covers his games in net? Stalock?

The Oilers are making the playoffs. They're fighting for first place in a remarkable weak division, but they're there. This is a dumb trade.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Koskinen is hardly a cap dump. Typical comment from someone who doesn't know much about the Oilers. Right now, until Holland acquires a better one, we need Kosk and Smith in net. If Koskinen is traded in any of the proposals suggest on here lately, who covers his games in net? Stalock?

The Oilers are making the playoffs. They're fighting for first place in a remarkable weak division, but they're there. This is a dumb trade.

Not saying Oilers do not need Koskinen, just saying that at this stage in a trade proposal, Koskinen is a cap dump. Regarding playoffs, let us see what happens, EDM has 7 wins vs OTT, McDavid and Draisaitl are scoring a lot, it skews the results, same thing with MTL vs VAN.

Not sure EDM needs Dadonov as a high priority (even thought scoring depth is never a bad thing) but he has more value than what was offered in my opinion as a neutral fan in this deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not saying Oilers do not need Koskinen, just saying that at this stage in a trade proposal, Koskinen is a cap dump. Regarding playoffs, let us see what happens, EDM has 7 wins vs OTT, McDavid and Draisaitl are scoring a lot, it skews the results, same thing with MTL vs VAN.

Not sure EDM needs Dadonov as a high priority (even thought scoring depth is never a bad thing) but he has more value than what was offered in my opinion as a neutral fan in this deal.

I think we disagree on what "cap dump" means. Is he a dump to Ottawa? Well, maybe? I mean they could use a healthy goaltender, right? Wouldn't he be an upgrade on a number of goalies in their organization? And Koskinen only has one year left at $4.5 Million so he isn't wildly overpaid.

He certainly ISN'T a dump to Edmonton. A player the team needs isn't a dump to me. Neal is a dump. He can be a healthy scratch an no one would notice. If Koskinen gets hurt the Oilers will need someone to play half the games in goal down the stretch. All they really have is an unproven Stalock. Yikes.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think we disagree on what "cap dump" means. Is he a dump to Ottawa? Well, maybe? I mean they could use a healthy goaltender, right? Wouldn't he be an upgrade on a number of goalies in their organization? And Koskinen only has one year left at $4.5 Million so he isn't wildly overpaid.

He certainly ISN'T a dump to Edmonton. A player the team needs isn't a dump to me. Neal is a dump. He can be a healthy scratch an no one would notice. If Koskinen gets hurt the Oilers will need someone to play half the games in goal down the stretch. All they really have is an unproven Stalock. Yikes.

Agreed EDM needs him as long as they don't have better, but it does not mean OTT would spend assets for him or want him as part of a Dadonov deal. They need a goalie given injuries but given the fact they don't need to win, why give up assets ? + possible Comrie is going to be waived again ;)

Reactions: TFHockey

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Even guys like Vatrano, Verhaeghe and Duclair look like 1st liners playing with Barkov. Dadonov had the luxury and got paid.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would probably be interested in the Devils taking him on, in the right deal.

Will Butcher + forward prospect + pick would work from a Devils perspective. Say Butcher + Zetterlund + 3rd.

Johnsson hasn't exactly settled in too well with the Devils either. A player for player deal could make sense with the Devils perhaps adding a small plus.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3