Speculation: Possible Coaching Change?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I've got to get away from this negative/self-loathing/all-loathing oven you're in. It's just too hot.

This is not a conversation. This is you telling everyone that you hate everything.

The new season is in October. This is not The French Revolution where everyone is getting the guillotine for your satisfaction.

Where was the negativity in that response?

There really was none.

I think you're trying too hard to see something that isn't there in subconscious attempt to confirm your confirmation bias.

There literally was nothing negative or self-loathing in that comment whatsoever.

Last edited:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I've got to get away from this negative/self-loathing/all-loathing oven you're in. It's just too hot.

This is not a conversation. This is you telling everyone that you hate everything.

The new season is in October. This is not The French Revolution where everyone is getting the guillotine for your satisfaction

Let me ask this:

Do you think Treliving should replace Keefe? And if he doesn't replace Keefe or trade any of the four, then why was he brought in?

Replacing Keefe seems like an obvious thing to do at this point.

So if you don't think he does, would you be happy running it back again under the same coach that was handpicked by Treliving's predecessor?

I wouldn't be

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
The longer it goes on, the higher the odds of Keefe staying than going.

If the plan was a coaching change, Treliving would want to start reviewing candidates as quickly as possible.

There will probably be a 1-2 new assistants hired though
He may be waiting on Bettman re Q...

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
why would St. Patrick even consider the offer, like him or hate him the guy's a winner, Leafs.......not so much...........
He also hates losing and dosent take any bs...He'd motivate them for sure...one way or another....

I think the fact that he creates drama on his own will be an issue. But we almost need a snap show dynamic to combat the comatose personality we seem to have.
Haha...comatose...accurate description!

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Nagano 98' Olympic teammates
but did Roy ever Forgive Shanahan for this;
lol

View attachment 715628
Now the only flying he does is between TO (where he's President...) and NYC where he lives and keeps up with the arts...he's really mellowed out. Should have been canned years ago....political weasel....Chelios was sooo right about how he only looks after himself...

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It's looking more and more like they're gonna keep Keefe.

It's a crying shame really.

What they've done here. What they could have done instead. The pain only amplified more by the fact they're gonna do it all again.

The same team, with the same problems, headed straight for the same results.

Treliving hasn't done a damn thing since being hired. Except stuff a bloated front office with another nepotistic hiring. I get it, re-signing Matthews is of primary importance.

But Matthews can't be re-signed until July 1st.

Treliving can't possibly be on his knees in front of Matthews agent all day. There must be other things he can accomplish. Like finding an assistant coach that can replace Keefe in November if the Leafs get off to another death spiral to start the year.

Third time's the charm.

Treliving can thank Shanahan for letting Carbery go to Washington. Another possible replacement for Keefe out the door. His former staff's accomplishments in Seattle being far more impressive than anything Keefe has achieved during his tenure here if you ask me.

The only thing impressive about Keefe's results is how pathetic and pitiful they've been.

It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
High chance Mitch Love is brought in as an assistance with a shot to becoming the next head coach if Keefe is ever let go.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's looking more and more like they're gonna keep Keefe.

It's a crying shame really.

What they've done here. What they could have done instead. The pain only amplified more by the fact they're gonna do it all again.

The same team, with the same problems, headed straight for the same results.

Treliving hasn't done a damn thing since being hired. Except stuff a bloated front office with another nepotistic hiring. I get it, re-signing Matthews is of primary importance.

But Matthews can't be re-signed until July 1st.

Treliving can't possibly be on his knees in front of Matthews agent all day. There must be other things he can accomplish. Like finding an assistant coach that can replace Keefe in November if the Leafs get off to another death spiral to start the year.

Third time's the charm.

Treliving can thank Shanahan for letting Carbery go to Washington. Another possible replacement for Keefe out the door. His former staff's accomplishments in Seattle being far more impressive than anything Keefe has achieved during his tenure here if you ask me.

The only thing impressive about Keefe's results is how pathetic and pitiful they've been.

It's enough to make a grown man cry.

I think the problem is, who’s currently available that’s 100% better than Keefe? Outside of Quennville not sure there’s a ton of guys better than Keefe and you can’t have Quennville right now. Additionally I’d like to and I’m sure the leafs want to see how Keefe coaches with a new philosophy and a group of depth players that Dubas isn’t attached too (IE Kerfoot and Holl).

Personally it shouldn’t really matter who the coach is. They are very replaceable. As long as Matthews signs, give Keefe another year, can him if shit goes sideways.

Reactions: The Iceman

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think the problem is, who’s currently available that’s 100% better than Keefe? Outside of Quennville not sure there’s a ton of guys better than Keefe and you can’t have Quennville right now. Additionally I’d like to and I’m sure the leafs want to see how Keefe coaches with a new philosophy and a group of depth players that Dubas isn’t attached too (IE Kerfoot and Holl).

Personally it shouldn’t really matter who the coach is. They are very replaceable. As long as Matthews signs, give Keefe another year, can him if shit goes sideways.
Gallant > Keefe. Better question based on playoffs is who is worse ? Up 3-1 he lost to Descharme who is doing what now ?

Reactions: egd27

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Gallant > Keefe. Better question based on playoffs is who is worse ? Up 3-1 he lost to Descharme who is doing what now ?

I don’t think that’s true, Gallant gets fired every two years. There is something about him that has no longevity. I don’t think Gallant is the right fit for this group at all. Gallant also has no systems, he’s a great motivator but is not an X’s and O’s Guy. We need structure. At least keefe has a system with structure. Whether we like it or not.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don’t think that’s true, Gallant gets fired every two years. There is something about him that has no longevity. I don’t think Gallant is the right fit for this group at all. Gallant also has no systems, he’s a great motivator but is not an X’s and O’s Guy. We need structure. At least keefe has a system with structure. Whether we like it or not.
Keefe should have been fired after losing to Montreal. Agree that Gallant has a short shelf life but he might be able to get more out of these guys than Keefe for the next two years. I've pretty much set my expectation low this season. Stopped being fooled by these guys. They all talk the talk and shit the bed when it counts.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Gallant for assistant coach then...motivate away GG.

I was hopong Travis Green would join the coaching staff. The need for a proven strong lead assistant coach is there.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Gallant for assistant coach then...motivate away GG.

I was hopong Travis Green would join the coaching staff. The need for a proven strong lead assistant coach is there.
I heard Travis Green's name mentioned for AC. Kyper also threw Muller's name out there.

No way does Keefe accept GG as an assistant. Would you if you were Keefe?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I heard Travis Green's name mentioned for AC. Kyper also threw Muller's name out there.

No way does Keefe accept GG as an assistant. Would you if you were Keefe?

I think Kirk Mueller would be a better fit. Or Bruce Beaudreau if he’s willing. But Keefe will not add someone to his staff that can take his job.

Personally I don’t see a good replacement out there atm. The time like you said should have been after Montreal. Now it’s too late, I don’t think you’re gonna get a guy better than Keefe. Laviolette or Burnette would have been my pick this year. I wanted Rick Bowness last year.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think Kirk Mueller would be a better fit. Or Bruce Beaudreau if he’s willing. But Keefe will not add someone to his staff that can take his job.

Personally I don’t see a good replacement out there atm. The time like you said should have been after Montreal. Now it’s too late, I don’t think you’re gonna get a guy better than Keefe. Laviolette or Burnette would have been my pick this year. I wanted Rick Bowness last year.
Montgomery, Cassidy, DeBoer, Bowness, and Maurice were all out there last year and had decent runs. Bowness saw for himself why Maurice threw in the towel in Winnipeg. Montgomery had a season for the ages but coughed up a fur ball in the playoffs. All most likely better than Keefe.

Reactions: francis246

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
They need to hire an assistant coach that's more familiar with playoff type hockey and help keefe transition the team into that style of play on the ice.

Reactions: The Iceman

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Thanks for the response.

The mature and responsible thing would have been to fire Keefe at the same time they fired Dubas.

Promote Carbery.

Keefe's days are numbered and everyone knows it. A GM has the right to name his own coach. Keefe has been given longer leash than most coaches.

Not fully deserved either.

So, once again, the Leafs will be paying a coach to not coach. Must be nice. I wish I could get paid millions to sit on my ass at home.

If I get fired I don't even get unemployment.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Thanks for the response.

The mature and responsible thing would have been to fire Keefe at the same time they fired Dubas.

Promote Carbery.

Keefe's days are numbered and everyone knows it. A GM has the right to name his own coach. Keefe has been given longer leash than most coaches.

So, once again, the Leafs will be paying a coach to not coach. Must be nice. I wish I could get paid millions to sit on my ass at home.

It kinda makes sense for the new GM to keep Keefe around. Because if the team's struggles. in its first year he can use Keefe as an excuse. and bring a new coach in next year. And it gives him time to learn the organization.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Thanks for the response.

Promote Carbery.

Not if they do not offer Keefe an extension.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Not if they do not offer Keefe an extension.

I would love to see them enter the year with Keefe in lame duck status.

Eliminate the golden parachute.

This management team was notorious for not giving UFA's a contract their final year. Walking them to the door. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Keefe can show he deserves an extension this year.

It kinda makes sense for the new GM to keep Keefe around. Because if the team's struggles. in its first year he can use Keefe as an excuse. and bring a new coach in next year. And it gives him time to learn the organization.

I doubt Treliving has the authority to fire Keefe right now anyway.

Reactions: the Mighty Oak

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What makes people think Shanahan or Treliving want to get rid of Keefe?
Because people want it?
I want a core change but they aren’t giving me that either.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for the response.

Promote Carbery.

Agree with you for the most part. I think the reasoning is Carberry is really unproven. I don’t know if they believe much would have changed under Carberry. There’s a good chance things maybe get worse with Carberry.

Personally I think the ship kinda sailed on firing keefe two seasons ago. What’s more important is changing the player personnel and forcing Keefe to make those minor adjustments. I don’t think it’s all Keefe’s fault. I think the players make his life difficult, they bitch and complain when he does make changes and then when he walks things back they bitch and complain that he didn’t do enough LOL. The core is a problem.

Reactions: weems

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Let me ask this:

Do you think Treliving should replace Keefe? And if he doesn't replace Keefe or trade any of the four, then why was he brought in?

Replacing Keefe seems like an obvious thing to do at this point.

So if you don't think he does, would you be happy running it back again under the same coach that was handpicked by Treliving's predecessor?

I wouldn't be

well shanahan tried to re-sign Dubas but said no to Dubas demands so why do you think he would bring someone in who has a complete different idea? I'm not saying this is what I believe should happen but I don't see why you think they brought someone in to change things up. they attempted to re-sign Kyle.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
well shanahan tried to re-sign Dubas but said no to Dubas demands so why do you think he would bring someone in who has a complete different idea? I'm not saying this is what I believe should happen but I don't see why you think they brought someone in to change things up. they attempted to re-sign Kyle.
In my opinion I think Shanahan knows now he really **** up when he hired doobis And he didn't have the balls to fire doobis now, so he decided to die on the hill with him. But luckily for us, the hockey gods stepped in and saved Shanahan and his career in hockey management

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad